Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Is Salvia the Next Marijuana?

Is Salvia the Next Marijuana?

Tue, Mar 11, 2008 2:31 pm

source: ap.google.com

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — On Web sites touting the mind-blowing powers of Salvia divinorum, come-ons to buy the hallucinogenic herb are accompanied by warnings: "Time is running out!" and "stock up while you still can."

That's because salvia is being targeted by lawmakers concerned that the inexpensive and easy-to-obtain plant could become the next marijuana. Eight states have already placed restrictions on salvia, and 16 others, including Florida, are considering a ban or have previously.

"As soon as we make one drug illegal, kids start looking around for other drugs they can buy legally. This is just the next one," said Florida state Rep. Mary Brandenburg, who has introduced a bill to make possession of salvia a felony punishable by up to five years in prison.

Some say legislators are overreacting to a minor problem, but no one disputes that the plant impairs judgment and the ability to drive.

Native to Mexico and still grown there, Salvia divinorum is generally smoked but can also be chewed or made into a tea and drunk.

Called nicknames like Sally-D, Magic Mint and Diviner's Sage, salvia is a hallucinogen that gives users an out-of-body sense of traveling through time and space or merging with inanimate objects. Unlike hallucinogens like LSD or PCP, however, salvia's effects last for a shorter time, generally up to an hour.

It is not the same as the ornamental garden plant known as Salvia.

No known deaths have been attributed to salvia's use, but it was listed as a factor in one Delaware teen's suicide two years ago.

"Parents, I would say, are pretty clueless," said Jonathan Appel, an assistant professor of psychology and criminal justice at Tiffin University in Ohio who has studied the emergence of the substance. "It's much more powerful than marijuana."

Salvia's short-lasting effects and fact that it is currently legal may make it seem more appealing to teens, lawmakers say. In the Delaware suicide, the boy's mother told reporters that salvia made his mood darker but he justified its use by citing its legality. According to reports, the autopsy found no traces of the drug in his system, but the medical examiner listed it as a contributing cause.

Mike Strain, Louisiana's Agriculture and Forestry Commissioner and former legislator, helped his state in 2005 become the first to make salvia illegal, along with a number of other plants. He said the response has been largely positive.

"I got some hostile e-mails from people who sold these products," Strain said. "You don't make everybody happy when you outlaw drugs. You save one child and it's worth it."

An ounce of salvia leaves sells for around $30 on the Internet. A liquid extract from the plant, salvinorin A, is also sold in various strengths labeled "5x" through "60x." A gram of the 5x strength, about the weight of a plastic pen cap, is about $12 while 60x strength is around $65. And in some cases the extract comes in flavors including apple, strawberry and spearmint.

Web sites such as Salviadragon.com tout the product with images like a waterfall and rainbow and include testimonials like "It might sound far fetched, but I experience immortality."

Among those who believe the commotion over the drug is overblown is Rick Doblin of the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies, a nonprofit group that does research on psychedelic drugs and whose goal is to develop psychedelics and marijuana into prescription medication.

"I think the move to criminalize is a misguided response to a very minimal problem," Doblin said.

Doblin said salvia isn't "a party drug," "tastes terrible" and is "not going to be extremely popular." He disputes the fact teens are its main users and says older users are more likely.

"It's a minor drug in the world of psychedelics," he said.

Moreover, it's hard to say how widespread the use of salvia is. National and state surveys on drug use don't include salvia, and because it is legal in most states, law enforcement officials don't compile statistics, either.

San Diego State University last year surveyed more than 1,500 students and found that 4 percent of participants reported using salvia in the past year.

Brandenburg's bill would make salvia and its extract controlled substances in the same class as marijuana and LSD.

Florida state Sen. Evelyn Lynn, whose committee planned to study the Salvia bill Tuesday, said the drug should be criminalized.

"I'd rather be at the front edge of preventing the dangers of the drug than waiting until we are the 40th or more," she said.

Has anyone tried this yet?

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Few buddies did 40x, effects lasted all of 5minutes (and they were insane).

And yes, salvia will become the next marijuana because it will be illegal.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

My younger brother got all worked up and excited over that stuff. Him and his friends went and did it and i have to say the videos on youtube of it are kinda entertaining. But yeah last time i was on Venice beach almost every other store was selling the stuff

Already illegal in Oklahoma.

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Just less taxes for the gov't.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Quote Originally Posted by Headspace View Post
    Just less taxes for the gov't.
    BUT THEY CANT TAX DAED PPL!

Official THE Alpha and Omega

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Ohio just made it illegal

Vuitton

I tried Salvia once. I ordered a few vials of it over the internet. I think it was x20 and x40 potency. It only lasts about 15-30 minutes, and it hits you almost instantly. You go INSANE. I really hated it. Not like mushroom or acid insane, but like mentally insane. I couldn't think or make sense of anything. I felt like my soul was outside my body and my body was merging with my surroundings. It felt like paralysis.

If anyone has done K, its similar. Just remove all the fun parts of K but leave the out of body experience, toss in some extreme anxiety, paralysis, and intense hallucinations and you have Salvia.

Thank god it only lasts for a short time.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Wow I'm a fucking idiot, I clicked on this thinking it said saliva.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

It will become even more popular when it becomes Illegal.

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Good ol' reverse psychology.

Quote Originally Posted by TacoTaru View Post
    Wow I'm a fucking idiot, I clicked on this thinking it said saliva.
    Ya, too bad they didn't make http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saliva_(band) illegal too.

Ksandra Needs To Post Tits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Vuitton View Post
    I tried Salvia once. I ordered a few vials of it over the internet. I think it was x20 and x40 potency. It only lasts about 15-30 minutes, and it hits you almost instantly. You go INSANE. I really hated it. Not like mushroom or acid insane, but like mentally insane. I couldn't think or make sense of anything. I felt like my soul was outside my body and my body was merging with my surroundings. It felt like paralysis.

If anyone has done K, its similar. Just remove all the fun parts of K but leave the out of body experience, toss in some extreme anxiety, paralysis, and intense hallucinations and you have Salvia.

Thank god it only lasts for a short time.
    Agreed. I'm pretty well versed when it comes to psycs and its not that I couldn't handle the trip, it was just REALLY REALLY REALLY fucking wierd.
    My mind got sent to an evil carnival. I didn't experience the extreme anxiety or paralysis tho. Also 40x is way too strong for a first time starting around 15x is probably the best, even for people with experience..

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Go big or go home.

Ksandra Needs To Post Tits
    BG Level

Then you might as well just say fuck Salvia and smoke some DMT amirite?

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Salvia sucks anyways.

fstfrk13

There is no way salvia will be the next marijuana. marijuana is enjoyable while salvia is incredibly intense and most people can't even mental take it. i have not met a single person who liked taking salvia, everyone i know always had a bad trip and never did it again. I don't see many people trying to get it when its illegal when there are better and enjoyable illegal drugs out there.

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

Look at all these kids suddenly taking Salvia! Good thing we made it illegal before this big surge in consumption happened.

Also.

Salvia's short-lasting effects and fact that it is currently legal may make it seem more appealing to teens, lawmakers say. In the Delaware suicide, the boy's mother told reporters that salvia made his mood darker but he justified its use by citing its legality. According to reports, the autopsy found no traces of the drug in his system, but the medical examiner listed it as a contributing cause.
    Yep...no trace of drugs in his system, but the drugs made him do it. Makes perfect sense.

Well, they tell kids that drugs are bad because they are illegal instead of telling them the facts so they foolishly think that anything legal must not be bad.

If they would educate children to the real facts behind the effects and risks of all drugs including alcohol they might make better choices.

The Flying Scotsman
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Devek View Post
    Well, they tell kids that drugs are bad because they are illegal instead of telling them the facts so they foolishly think that anything legal must not be bad.

If they would educate children to the real facts behind the effects and risks of all drugs including alcohol they might make better choices.
    You can't control people's thoughts if you educate them. You have to indoctrinate them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast