+ Reply to Thread
    Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Star Trek Sequel Now a Lost Cause

Source: E! Online Tue Mar 31, 2009, 4:18 am EDT

Losties, Trekkies and Fringe dwellers, unite!

Paramount is keeping it all in the sci-fi family when it comes to its burgeoning new Star Trek franchise. Per Variety, J.J. Abrams, director of the upcoming revamp of the cult-classic story, is on board to produce the sequel, which will be copenned by Lost cocreator Damon Lindelof and Abrams' fellow Fringe masterminds Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci.

Why mess with chemistry (in the real world, that is)?

Orci and Kurtzman collaborated on the screenplay for the '09 Star Trek, which beams into theaters May 8. The second chapter in the revamped Enterprise-centric saga will mark Orci and Kurtzman's second writing project with Lindelof; the trio are currently tackling DreamWorks' Cowboys and Aliens together.

They're hoping to have a draft in by Christmastime in order to get the cameras (and CGI) rolling in time for a summer 2011 release.

"Obviously we discussed ideas, but we are waiting to see how audiences respond next month," Kurtzman told Variety. "With a franchise rebirth, the first movie has to be about origin. But with a second, you have the opportunity to explore incredibly exciting things. We'll be ambitious about what we'll do."

They call me Lord Null for a reason.
    BG Level

I've never followed the Trek series, but with J.J and Sylar I really have no choice but to watch.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

I've never watched an episode of Star Trek in my life, but I plan on seeing this.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

They're gonna fuck it up.

They call me Lord Null for a reason.
    BG Level

As long as Spock scalps someone and they crash onto an island I don't give a damn.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    I've never watched an episode of Star Trek in my life, but I plan on seeing this.
    I've always looked down on trekkies as a lower form of geek than me. But recently, in I sat and watched a few episodes, while I was staying at a friends house going cross country. I have to say (coming from a more adult perspective), the show kind of rocked. Every episode, or at least of the few that I saw, revolved around Kirk saving or saving himself from some sort of alien babes. It all gets done in cheesey 60's sci-fi and I had a full on epiphany about how awesome it was upon seeing it recently. it really had a certain style to it that you can appreciate even if/when the episode was shit.

Now with respects to the movie. Probably won't see it unless I hear some really good things regarding it.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Folks seem much more forgiving of what's happened to the Star Trek franchise than what Lucas has done to his own franchies.

I see little difference between the two, frankly. Star Trek movies should have ended 10 years ago.

Doesn't take it for granite
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

And Star Wars movies should have ended 11 years ago.

Well, Gene Rodenberry isn't exactly around to fuck up Star Trek like Lucas has with Star Wars. Then again, I've always felt the feud pretty stupid. TNG is my ST flavor of choice, though.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_Wheel22 View Post
    And Star Wars movies should have ended 11 years ago.
    my hero, this this this 1000000000x this.

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

inc smoke monsters on a space ship?

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by ZarakiKujata View Post
    inc smoke monsters on a space ship?

Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking smoke monsters on this motherfucking space ship!
    http://www.cine.se/bilder/snakes_on_plane.jpg

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by sb View Post
    I've always looked down on trekkies as a lower form of geek than me. But recently, in I sat and watched a few episodes, while I was staying at a friends house going cross country. I have to say (coming from a more adult perspective), the show kind of rocked.
    Gotta say I totally agree with this. Definitely looked down on them until a few years ago I was staying up late watching tv and happen upon an episode of Star Trek Voyager. Now what man can actually pass up watching Jeri Ryan in a skin tight full body outfit? I couldn't so I watched the episode and tuned in again the next night. Only a few episodes in I was really enjoying the series. Watched as much of the series as I could thru reruns. Very awesome show in my opinion.

YOU ARE SEARED
    Dungeon Master of the House of Weave

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by elphaba View Post
    the upcoming movie has tribbles in it.

Seriously, that actually made me go "k opening night kthxbie".

I'm fully expecting the movie to kind of suck. But I'll go see it because I've been a Trek fan since I was tiny.
    Man you got me all excited...but apparently it's just a single tribble, and only there for fan service

'Star Trek' director J.J. Abrams on tribbles and the 'Galaxy Quest' problem | Hero Complex | Los Angeles Times

Silly Hat Connoisseur
    BG Level

I'm going to the world premiere of the movie on Tuesday at the Sydney Opera House! I'll report back on how it is.

I haven't seen any Star Trek before in my life, I'm going as the date of a journalist friend who is similarly clueless. But we're big nerds so I'm sure we'll appreciate it.

Worst part is though, that it's really f'n hard to find things like star trek pins and such for sale... they're all waiting for the release next month instead So I'll just have to go cocktail dress without any Trekky memorabilia goodness instead.

Anyway I'll happily answer any questions or write up a review or something... apparently we're not allowed to make "media reviews" but I haven't signed anything (yet) so we'll see! Not like here is the media anyway.

Anything I should look out for in particular? Anything you think I *must* know before I see it?

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

It's probably better if you don't know anything going in.

The movie has potential, but I understand there's some heavy time travel elements to the plot which I'm just not into. This is being advertised as the story of James Kirk's last days at the academy and his first days in command of the iconic crew, that's what I want.

As for Trek vs Star Wars, I think SW fans are more upset because it's Lucas fucking things up. They feel not only nerd rage at the story not going how they thought it should but a sense of betrayal as well(silly as it may sound). If Star Trek fans get pissed they can at least tell themselves "Man, Gene wouldn't have let this bullshit go on."

Silly Hat Connoisseur
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Deftscythe View Post
    It's probably better if you don't know anything going in.
    Okay I might avoid looking at too much then. I sort of know what most of the races are so that will probably help at least ^^

Doesn't take it for granite
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Deftscythe View Post
    As for Trek vs Star Wars, I think SW fans are more upset because it's Lucas fucking things up. They feel not only nerd rage at the story not going how they thought it should but a sense of betrayal as well(silly as it may sound). If Star Trek fans get pissed they can at least tell themselves "Man, Gene wouldn't have let this bullshit go on."
    If killing Chewbacca isn't betrayal, I don't know what is.

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_Wheel22 View Post
    If killing Chewbacca isn't betrayal, I don't know what is.
    Killing Chewbacca and everything else about the New Jedi Order series was fucking amazing/ballsy and better then anything Lucas has done for Star Wars since the first 2 movies.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

plus their agreement was apparently not to kill anyone with a speaking role, so chewie was a loophole