+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Man robs store with 9-year-old daughter in tow

ELLENSBURG, Wash. - Authorities on Thursday were searching for a Washington state man seen on video holding up a convenience store as his young daughter watches and telling the clerk he is unemployed and needs money to support the girl.

The Kittitas County sheriff's office said Robert Daniel Webb robbed the store Tuesday in Ellensburg, 95 miles southeast of Seattle.

Webb was on the run but the girl, 9, was taken into protective custody Wednesday night in Fortuna, Calif., NBC affiliate KING-TV quoted police as saying.

The father of a sheriff's deputy in Fortuna, who happened to be an acquaintance of the suspect, was asked to watch the girl Wednesday night while her father ran errands, KING-TV reported.

Later that evening, the man learned Webb was wanted by police in Ellensburg. The man contacted his son and Fortuna police, who took the girl into protective custody until her mother could arrive.

Webb managed to elude authorities after a car chase.

The man in the store surveillance video points a gun at the clerk and says: "Open the till and got me what you have. ... I'm out of work. My daughter's got to survive."

The sheriff's office said the man made off with about $200.

Man robs store with daughter, 9, in tow - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Sign of the times. Its horrible that he brought his daughter along, but crimes like this are going to start becoming more frequent. After the great depression, America entered "The Public Enemy" era. The depression spawned a lot of America's most notorious criminals. Unfortunately for us, the cops are a lot better equipped these days.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Sorry, that was me.

Jet fuel can't melt steel beams
    Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dweller

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zoner Hellscythe
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Parent-Career day?

Was that wrong? Was I not supposed to do that?

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Cant say that I blame him, I too have a daughter and can understand the position. Not saying it was right but I feel him on that.

I'd rob and steal to feed my child too if asking for assistance from the community and the government failed me.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mizango View Post
    Cant say that I blame him, I too have a daughter and can understand the position. Not saying it was right but I feel him on that.

I'd rob and steal to feed my child too if asking for assistance from the community and the government failed me.
    I ain't sayin he shoulda kilt her,
    http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/i...1483__cr_l.jpg

BUT I UNDASTAND.

Seems like there would be smarter ways to go about committing crime to feed your kids.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Day View Post
    I ain't sayin he shoulda kilt her,
    http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/i...1483__cr_l.jpg

BUT I UNDASTAND.

HAHA exactly what I had in mind.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by ferigor View Post
    Sign of the times. Its horrible that he brought his daughter along, but crimes like this are going to start becoming more frequent. After the great depression, America entered "The Public Enemy" era. The depression spawned a lot of America's most notorious criminals. Unfortunately for us, the cops are a lot better equipped these days.
    What? No.

Crap like this has been happening for years. Years. It wasn't just the depression that caused an increase in crime, it was also Prohibition, which turned normal people into criminals and provided an easy outlet for organized crime to grow and prosper. The reason why so many "notorious" criminals emerged back then was because of increases in technology (cars and guns), an increase in media (cameras and film) and a general romanticized notion of criminals holding over from the end years of the "wild west" era, where bank robbers and such were seen as almost anti-heros of society.

While it's true that a downturn in the economy can lead to an increase of crime, this is just another (in a long line of examples) of *really* stupid criminals.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

If he was too poor to support him and his daughter then how do you suppose he would pay for a babysitter? Bringing her with him was his only option. Only reason he's stupid is because he should've called over a babysitter then when he was about to pay her/him that's when he should've robbed her/him.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Because robbing a convience store of 200 bucks...while being filmed the entire time...is definately the best way to raise your kid.

Kind of hard to be a proper father figure when you're hiding from the cops.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Maybe it was intentional? Forced himself to go to jail so his daughter could be raised somewhat decently? I don't know, I'm pulling that one out of my ass.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Firedemon View Post
    Maybe it was intentional? Forced himself to go to jail so his daughter could be raised somewhat decently? I don't know, I'm pulling that one out of my ass.
    Adoption and social services taking your kid away both lead to the same thing, but I know which one I'd rather do if I got to that point.

Then again, jail offers free meals and a shelter, so maybe...

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Firedemon View Post
    And traumatize her while putting her at risk in the process. He could have just left the kid with the mother or the friend like he did after he robbed the place. Hell, he could have sold the damn gun if he wanted money so badly.

He's a stupid crook, nothing more.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

He needs to get his planner/calendar straight.

Take your daughter to work day is supposed to be the 4th Thursday in April, or April 23 this year.

Source: Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level

unless he is black, no jury will convict him!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by guartz View Post
    unless he is black, no jury will convict him!
    Nooooo, The article said he robbed a store with his child, why would on earth would he be a black dude?

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mizango View Post
    Nooooo, The article said he robbed a store with his child, why would on earth would he be a black dude?
    I TAKE CARE OF MY KIDS