Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kicoe Vashai
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Odin

FFXI Bump Mapping causing PC crash/freeze.

So, my PC is about half a year old and this problem with Bump Mapping happened like one month after i got the PC until now.

What happens is, whenever I have Bump Mapping enabled after some time (random like, sometimes after 5 min, sometimes after 3 hrs) the PC is shutting down, Monitor is going into stand-by and I have to reboot the PC.

Usually I play on 1920x1200 - 3840x2400 resolution with Mip Mapping 4, drawdistance setmap 3 drawdistance setmob 5, and that's it about graphic enhancements really.

Graphic-cards I'm using are two GeForce 9800 GTX+ (745/1100/1848MHz), saying this cus I'm thinking this problem has to do something with the graphic-cards.

What I tried is pretty much everything, playing around with all possible resolutions, different drivers, SLI on and off, disabled Mip Mapping in FFXI Config and whatnot, tried with and without Windower etc.

Now, overall I'm not noticing that big of a difference with or without Bump Mapping enabled in terms of graphic quality, however this is bugging me like hell that my PC is just freezing or whatever after some time when Bump Mapping is enabled. When Bump Mapping is disabled, no freezes whatsoever really.

So, anyone has any idea what is causing this clash with Bump Mapping and my PC? Like I said I believe it has something to do with the graphic-cards so I didn't post other PC parts and such. Anyone who had same problems, and anyone who knows how to fix this problem?

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by zven View Post
    Now, overall I'm not noticing that big of a difference with or without Bump Mapping enabled in terms of graphic quality, however this is bugging me like hell that my PC is just freezing or whatever after some time when Bump Mapping is enabled. When Bump Mapping is disabled, no freezes whatsoever really.
    Is it happening at all, or not? I would expect this to be a placebo effect, as I don't believe bump mapping alone would cause this problem. You've already done everything possible on the software front, aside from completely reinstalling the OS. Hmm. Well, that's not entirely true.

Have you tried reinstalling/updating DirectX? FFXI may not rely upon the most recent version for anything, but if there's anything wrong in there, an update would repair it.

Likewise, have you updated other aspects of your computer, like the chipset, BIOS, and so on, so forth?

Do you run any other applications which utilize 3D acceleration?

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kicoe Vashai
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Yea, PC isn't freezing whatsoever when Bump Mapping is disabled in FFXI. When it's enabled I can expect a freeze in a timeframe from 5 minutes on to like 3 hours while being logged in in FFXI.

DirectX and such is all updated, drivers too etc. Might try BIOS again, but I did that some month ago.

All I'm running is MSN, a programm to play music files, some Antivirus programm, SpyBot while playing FFXI. :/

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Then we should try other 3D applications, and see if any of them recreate the behavior.

FilePlanet: Gaming DemosDownloads

This may be good: FilePlanet: Call of Duty 4 Demo

If not that, something smaller: FilePlanet: Demos | Unreal Tournament 3 | Unreal Series

Basically, you want to choose a relatively recent game's demo, download it, and make sure you have bump mapping enabled. Preferably, run the game at fairly high settings for as long as possible.

Does the same thing happen? If so, we can cancel out FFXI as a factor.

Banned.

BG Level

rma your card probably a bad batch. i had this happen with a bfg nvidia 9600 gt oc 512mb .. but different.. no matter what settings it would randomly black screen and lock up in intensive areas like alliances partys etc

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I am thinking it's probably that, too.

If we can eliminate FFXI it'll be pretty much a given.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kicoe Vashai
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Odin

K thanks, gonna dl CoD4 demo sometimes today.