+ Reply to Thread
Page 90 of 91 FirstFirst ... 40 80 88 89 90 91 LastLast

I dunno, giving Japan a pass because they're less racially diverse than the US reeks a bit of hypocrisy. Some might even argue it worse given the country's fame for xenophobia, too. Logistically, yes, it's understandable, but once you get past that, the question then becomes, "Aren't there white and brown actors that are fluent enough in Japanese to land the roles there?" My answer would probably be a mix of yes with casting not trying hard enough.

I follow a few anime VOs on Twitter (Todd Haberkorn, Kaiji Tang, and Stephanie Sheh) and occasionally they gripe about the difficulty of landing onscreen roles here. Todd actually did Ling for FMA here and also had a role in Syfy B-Movie recently, but I know Kaiji (Archer in UBW) gets some shit because he's not the typical polite asian and Steph (Orihime in Bleach) funnily got turned down by CBS because they thought she was too female, whatever the fuck that means. Either way, I only joking referenced the GitS movie even if I do feel it can get away with some technicalities due to the prevalence of cyborgs. FMA or even AoT doesn't have that luxury, the latter so in that asians are supposedly pretty rare in that world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    But I think thats fine because the majority of their audience is going to be Japanese people. Films cater to their audiences.
    Not disagreeing but doesn't mean that it would be better if they brought in more people from different nationalities to play the other characters. I mean.... who are they going to get to play Armstrong? <_>;

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I'm not giving Japan a pass. I think with the same token GITS being white in the US is fine too. I don't speak for all the idiot SJWs

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrag View Post
    Basically not using any nationality for any of their races. Basically turning it all to white people. Where as FMA is mostly white people instead of Asians. So basically they're race bending the movies just because of where they're being shot.
    That's not true. The bad guys were still ethnically diverse

Quote Originally Posted by dasva View Post
    That's not true. The bad guys were still ethnically diverse
    lol the only ones... figures right?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Usually I'm not going to care too much because they should be casting for someone's ability to play the part first and foremost and you have to deal with things like budgets and realistically available talent pool. So you even if you could technically chalk together everyone of the "correct" race it might not in practice be possible and even if it was it's not necessarily a good idea. Like Samuel doesn't look a thing like Nick Fury even if he was white but I can't think of anyone better for the role. On the other hand in Avatar it's clear none of the good guys were picked for acting ability let alone how well they fit the role.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

It's going to be bad. Why? The same reason they use a mostly all Japanese cast for most of their movies: budget. We're spoiled to hell by Hollywood. The correct response to any live-action movie adaptation of anything anime is to pretend it doesn't exist.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

FMA takes place in Europe. Amestris has never been Japan. It's been a western setting forever. Even Scar's people were supposed to be "Middle Eastern".

Quote Originally Posted by Deadgye View Post
    It's going to be bad. Why? The same reason they use a mostly all Japanese cast for most of their movies: budget. We're spoiled to hell by Hollywood. The correct response to any live-action movie adaptation of anything anime is to pretend it doesn't exist.
    How are we spoiled by hollywood... they just cast white people for everything.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

He said because budget lol

Duplicitous Jew with Political Aspirations
    BG Level

The country in FMA is pretty clearly Germany.

That said I'd rather have a good movie than one with the "right" races.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Even ignoring that I was talking about budget problems mainly, saying Hollywood just casts 'white people' for everything is very silly. Ignoring, again, that they don't, 'white' is a color that covers many different ethnicities.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Sneak Peak at the live action version of Fullmetal Alchemist.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

man he's ugly

Han Cholo

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Hitoshura View Post
    You know, it's just good to know that we're not the only ones that completely shit up live movies :D That's the only good take away from any of this.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I caught this trailer from a buddy.

Looks awful. Leave anime alone please.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

They did a live action Attack on Titan, I'm not surprised they're doing a live action FMA. Live Action Kenshin was actually not too shabby, albeit, the final fight in the last movie was super lame. This looks like it has a pretty big budget though, considering the CGI and the locals in the trailer. You would think they'd be able to afford a better looking blonde wig for the guy playing Edward.

I dunno, some live action anime movies work and some really miss. But I find most have been pretty "meh" that I've seen. Chihayafuru, Ore Monogatari, Kenshin 1 was good, 2 and 3 were meh. Bakuman was pretty decent, Daily Lives of Highschool Boys was fucking awful, Usagi Drop was pretty nice.

I'm sure I've seen others, but those are the only ones I can think of at the moment

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Attack on Titan live action was fucking terrible.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I never saw it but I'm not surprised at all lol