BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Running Shoes and Marathons

I've been running 3 times a week for a while now, but I've decided I want to go for something bigger. My current pair of running shoes is all but shot, and I need a new pair but I've never really done any amount of research as to what sort of running shoes would be best for me (I'm a heel striker, if it helps). I ran 4 miles today without a problem, but I really have no idea what that means with respect to training in preparation for a marathon. There's a state marathon going on memorial day weekend and I'm kind of doubtful I'd be able to handle that with only six weeks worth of training, but maybe I could do the half-marathon or something. Anyway, any advice is appreciated, just looking for general help with respect to shoes and training regiment.

Hmmm, I was under the impression you hit the lower part of the ball of your foot first, then kinda spring off that propelling yourself forward.

I don't really know the biomechanics of running all that well.

I think if you do 2 a days you'll start to get there, but probably not by the end of may.

2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Light the tyche signal!

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

Inb4 Tyche

Message him, he should give you the correct answer.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Yeah, a marathon on six weeks of training would be exceedingly difficult. If you are otherwise healthy and a natural athlete, you could pull it off, but you would be in some serious pain for at least a week (and most likely you'd be walking more of it than you'd be running).

There are a lot of good training programs out there. Google marathon training, Galloway is one of them. Some teach running with walk breaks and building up your endurance. The key thing, at least in my experience, is building up to a long run every week. Your long run may initially only be 4 miles. And you know what? That's perfectly fine. As you train more, and your body adapts to the training, and becomes more efficient, you'll run farther and easier. You'll build up your endurance, lung capacity, and scoff at your 4 mile long run when you're doing 18-22 mile long runs before your big race.

There's really no shortcuts around it. You have to get your body used to being on its feet and running for an extended period of time.

As far as shoes go, your best bet is to go to a specialty store, one at the very least that will watch you run outside on the sidewalk, or preferably inside on a treadmill, and be able to recommend shoes for your needs. Not everyone needs the same shoe.. those shitty Vibram shoes Boyiee tosses out (just kidding, Vibram!) may not work for the other runners around BG. I prefer Brooks & Asics, some people like Mizuno's, but it basically boils down to what your feet and legs do biomechanically.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

If you're running 3 times a week, and I'm assuming less than 15 miles per week, jumping into a marathon is not a great idea. First thing I'd do is a ton of research before you just jump in. It's no picnic. Even some beginners put in 40+ miles per week during peak. Also, because you are running very little right now, it'll take a while to build yourself up to that kind of mileage without injuring yourself.

You could probably do a half in 6 weeks of training. A half really isn't that bad. Don't expect (or try) to be age-group competitive. Take it at a slow pace and just try to finish. I think once you run a half you'll realize that "omg, a marathon is TWO of these?" and you'll likely take it a bit more seriously.

Shoes, everyone is different. You'll need to find out if you're a neutral runner or if you need support for some type of pronation. Go to a specialty store and find out. You may go through three or four different pairs/brands of shoes before you find some you really like.

Sleep Deprived Galka BLM
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Anybody know those shoes that have that weird basketball dome looking kind of things for soles? They're supposed to let you walk without messing up your legs or how you walk like normal shoes end up doing.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

These awesome shoes?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3379/...43b3acb693.jpg

They are $220, but who the fuck cares? You'll be the only person who is on the course with shoes made of YAK LEATHER. How badass is that? The soles are also made out of Polyurethane (like 30 year old technology!) as opposed to EVA. I hear they are hard as a fucking rock and make an almost "clicking" sound like tap dance shoes because the soles are so hard. They've reviewed pretty poorly, but the leading mind in biomechanics helped design it. It's the same guy who advised Nike on the Free line.

Renegade Philosopher
    BG Level

Good rule of thumb for marathon training if you've never done one before: add 1 mile to your long run per week. After you're up to 10 miles or so, do your long run once every two weeks and add 2 miles every two weeks. After 18-20 miles do it once every three weeks and add 3 miles every three weeks. For training, it's not a bad idea to train up to as much as 30 miles in preparation for the race to give yourself some additional endurance. So generally speaking you're looking at 6 months of prep to do it properly. Can you do it faster? Probably, but you run more risk of injuring yourself or just making your body feel incredibly tired all the time.

A really good book to pick up to learn about how to build up to a marathon if you've never done one before is

Amazon.com: Marathon: You Can Do It!: Jeff Galloway: Books

I highly recommend it as a starting place. It has some sample training schedules for different levels of endurance among a lot of other things. Like Tyche said, a half-marathon is a good goal to shoot for to begin with.

Amazon.com: Runner's World Run Less, Run Faster

3 runs a week plus2, rowing/swimming/biking.

1 Long Distance Day, Improves endurance by raising aerobic metabolism
    1 Sprint Day, Improves max V02 running speed and running economy
    1 Temp Run, Improves endurance by raising lactate threshod

Tyche uses this method and I will be after this upcoming Half we are running.

I would encourage a half marathon such as everyone else or hell even just a 5-7k.

Here is a link to a specialty store that I often go to for nutriets etc.,: http://www.fleetfeetsports.com/store-locations

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

I tacked on a few miles to the Furman plan before the achilles issues arose. Still having a little achilles pain, so I've only been running about 3 times a week totalling 20-25 miles with no speed/tempo work. You can do a half on that, although you won't be setting any records. The marathon though, you have to have the utmost respect for before tackling it. That isn't a race you can just wake up one day and say, "you know what, I'm going to run a marathon". You just don't mail in the training for that race.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    You could probably do a half in 6 weeks of training. A half really isn't that bad. Don't expect (or try) to be age-group competitive. Take it at a slow pace and just try to finish. I think once you run a half you'll realize that "omg, a marathon is TWO of these?" and you'll likely take it a bit more seriously.
    So true. My New Year's resolution was to run a marathon but I quickly got realistic and down graded it to a half marathon. I ran the ING Half in Atlanta in 1:54:55 and just as a I crossed the finish line I laughed at the thought of running the course backwards. I was physically and mentally exhausted. Ten days later and I still have some soreness lol. My only regret is my cheapness dissuaded me from buying a great pair of running shoes (even after reading all the threads/tips that came after New Years). The Nike shoes I had weren't horrible but nothing special. Once I am over this soreness and school lets up, I'm immediately purchasing a pair of shoes.

Tips
    As stated, spend a good amount on a pair of shoes. Best investment you'll ever make.

Run a half before a full. A full marathon is a true physical and mental battle that you probably won't be able to understand fully in 6 weeks.

I believe that all races strictly prohibit iPods but at the start everybody was putting in earbuds and headphones. I would drive myself crazy if I didn't have something to listen to for 2 hours much less 4. Worst case scenario is someone tells you to put them away in which case you pocket em (to do that they'd have to catch up to me which is doubtful).

Find a friend. It will be more enjoyable and you'll actually be pushed harder. I never trained with anybody but ran with a friend on raceday and ran faster miles than I had ever had during training.

Good luck and enjoy!

Science Fiction Super Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    LOOK AT THESE FUCKING AWESOME SHOES, GREEN WHO THE FUCK CAN ARGUE WITH THAT. I BET SOME HOT BITCHES WOULD HIT ON YOU FOR SURE

CHECK OUT THE FUCKING SPEED HOLES ON THoSE THINGS, GAURENTEED TO GET YOUR RUNNING LIKE FUCKING TERRY FOX IN NO TIME BRO.

HOLY FUCKING ASS COCK CHECK OUT THE LACES I BET THEY ARE MADE OUT OF SOME KIND OF ADVANCED CARBON FIBRE SHIT THATS HIGH END MOTHER FUCKER

AND WHAT ABOUT THE FUCKING SOLES YOU CANT REALLY SEE THEM BUT I BET THEY ARE HEAVY FUCKING DUTY

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Is anyone going to be doing the nashville race this month? It's one of the largest halves in the nation (about 21,000 participants). Serif and I will be there, and I'd love to meet some others.

edit: win^ (btw, I didn't post it, but Ecco makes those shoes. They are called "Biom".)

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I've heard from friends about the epic size of the Nashville race and was contemplating going up for the half marathon. After finishing the ING I realized I was hooked, loved races, and immediately began looking for future runs. It probably depends on my school work load though. But not being a local Nashvillian(?) and new to running, how does one go about racing in a city 3 hours away? Drive there really early or a motel room usually necessary? I guess if the packet pickup is going to be the day before a motel room is necessary...

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

don't they gauge the marathon's popularity and success on how many people die?

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

You have to pickup the packet on friday for nashville, which is fucking lame, no race day pickup. The entry fee is also $100, which is as equally ridiculous. They do give you a Sugoi tech shirt though. I live about 2 hours from Nashville and I'm driving back home immediatly after the race to be a groomsman in a wedding by 4pm. It's going to be a hell of a rush. Hotels will probably next to impossible to find at this point.

@Takedown. There's been a huge marathoning boom since about the 70's. Thus, beings it is a pretty dangerous endeavor, more deaths will be reported. Most of the deaths from marathons are due to undiagnosed heart conditions. Get screened medically before participating, as you are running for as long as 5 or more hours and your heart is beating at close to (or over) 70% of it's max.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

i was in nyc last nov for a convention and it just happened to be during the end of the nyc marathon and i overheard some news about multiple deaths for different reasons, i think like 3 or 4 mebbe less but ya regardless it sounds pretty nutty

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

There were 2 deaths in NYC ING marathon last year. Looks like tehre was about 40,000 participants. Before that, there wasn't a death in the NYC marathon since 1994. There have been a few heart attacks though. Again, get screened.