+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Silly Hat Connoisseur
    BG Level

Star Trek

I promised the other thread I'd write a review of it when I saw it tonight, well, since we're not "media" here and I'm not a "media person" I figured I can write a review.

Star Trek's world premiere was held at the Sydney Opera House tonight with a bunch of people in attendance including Abrams the director, Pyne, Quinto, Bana, and a bunch of other people I didn't know. Leonard Nimoy unfortunately wasn't there I got to walk up the red carpet, which made me feel pretty spesh.

Anyway it was really quite good. I haven't seen much in the way of Star Trek before, and it really made me quite interested in the history of it, to see where it had come from, etc. etc.

I don't want to spoil it for anyone outside spoiler tags, but although there were some cheesy parts, some obvious fan-services, etc., there wasn't anything face-palmingly bad, and the actors were all pretty good. I had a few problems with some of the plot points, but since the whole movie didn't really take it too seriously I am vaguely willing to let those go because they sort of addressed the ludicrousness of some of them in a light-hearted manner. I was actually pretty surprised at how much I enjoyed it, though, I was expecting either a totally awful movie with lots of terrible cheesy moments, or a badly acted, badly put together, poor story sort of movie. It wasn't either of these, and I really thoroughly enjoyed it. I happily gave the cast & crew a standing ovation with the rest of the opera house at the end!

Quinto as Spock definitely stole the show. He played Spock with a real charm and character, and I lol'd quietly when he had a quick Sylar-quirk of the eyebrow at one point!
    Also I got within about 3 rows of him which was pretty ^^/ for me, since I'm a bit of a fan. Anyway. Although I found the Kirk character to be a bit annoying, he was supported by a great cast with all the "familiar faces".

Anyway a couple of mild spoilers about what you'll see and not see:

Spoiler: show

* There's no tribbles, and no Klingons.
    * Nimoy does more than just a cameo, and there's a bizarre time-travel story related to him and the main plot. Let's just say that he deals with the fact that he meets himself and has some hilarious lines about it later in the show. Suspend disbelief, it's not hard!
    * Kirk is probably the most forced character, I found it a bit hard to believe he could be so disobedient and then put into positions of power.
    * The story about Scotty and his improvements to warp drive is a bit on the logically impossible side. I think it's really the only majorly problematic part of the time travel thing they don't actively address in the film.

Overall I enjoyed the movie, and I think anyone who is not a totally rabid "OMG BUT THEY MISSED THAT TINY LITTLE CANON FACT IN SOME OBSCURE BOOK" fan will probably enjoy it. It will at least reboot the franchise a little and possibly excite people to go back and look at the old stuff again It's certainly worthy of a movie ticket!

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Actually, the eyebrow-lift was also a well known mannerism of Nimoy's Spock.

I'm afraid to click that spoiler since I might still go see the movie so forgive me if you already did this, but could I get a broad overview of the plot? Just the main conflict like "Kirk has to save Mars from Romulans before they blow it up" or something. Spoiler as you feel is necessary, of course.

Silly Hat Connoisseur
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Deftscythe View Post
    Actually, the eyebrow-lift was also a well known mannerism of Nimoy's Spock.

I'm afraid to click that spoiler since I might still go see the movie so forgive me if you already did this, but could I get a broad overview of the plot? Just the main conflict like "Kirk has to save Mars from Romulans before they blow it up" or something. Spoiler as you feel is necessary, of course.
    Sure! Basic plot in a spoiler tag without much discussion or resolution:

Basic idea is that it follows how the crew sort of came together. How Kirk came to be on the Enterprise (not how you might expect!). You see young Spock and how he came to be involved in Starfleet. The general motivation & action is about stopping a rogue Romulan from using "red matter" to destroy the Federation planets.

Also re: eyebrow quirk, cool! Like I said, I've not really seen much Trek. ^^

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Linliel View Post
    Sure! Basic plot in a spoiler tag without much discussion or resolution:

Basic idea is that it follows how the crew sort of came together. How Kirk came to be on the Enterprise (not how you might expect!). You see young Spock and how he came to be involved in Starfleet. The general motivation & action is about stopping a rogue Romulan from using "red matter" to destroy the Federation planets.

Also re: eyebrow quirk, cool! Like I said, I've not really seen much Trek. ^^
    Ah, thank you. Another question, if you don't mind.
    I'd heard there was some time travel involved, any truth to that?

Silly Hat Connoisseur
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Deftscythe View Post
    Ah, thank you. Another question, if you don't mind.
    I'd heard there was some time travel involved, any truth to that?
    Yes there is, I don't know how much you want me to spoil it for you but it's pretty obvious within the first parts of "setting up" the movie's motivating forces. Let me say though, although there are some really stupidly illogical parts relating to it, I thought the way they dealt with people coming back and changing the past was reasonably uncomplicated, and they basically said "just roll with it" at one point, lol. It was a little self-conscious but didn't take itself too seriously when it came to the time travel. I thought it was reasonably done, better than a lot of movies that try to explain how the time travel works to infinite detail and get it so amazingly illogically wrong!

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I heard there were tits, or close to it. Any truth to that? He is Captain Kink after all...

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

According to an interview I read there is 1 tribble somewhere, but its kind of an easter egg.
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/hero...rek-direc.html

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Nuriko View Post
    I heard there were tits, or close to it. Any truth to that? He is Captain Kink after all...
    Relevant to my interests.

Silly Hat Connoisseur
    BG Level

Tits spoilers: (lol o_O; )

Not much in the way of tits to be honest! Kirk's getting it on with some green chick at one point in the early parts of the film but she was still mostly clothed! (underwear) Otherwise I don't remember any other tits. Or any, say, giant blue wangs either.

¯\(°_o)/¯
    BG Level

So mad about missing the "true" premier that was here. Hell, I would've gone to it just to see Wrath of Khan on the big screen.

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

One of the theaters round here plays older movies (anything from Humphrey Bogart movies to Jurassic Park) but they for some reason won't play any Star Trek, it makes me sad.

Movie sounds like what I expected it to be. Neat, but that's about it.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Bump siting at 100% on RT Star Trek Movie Reviews, Pictures - Rotten Tomatoes
    I've never liked star trek but watched episodes of next generation and old trek that they showed on scifi.. I will see this friday just cause I love anything dealing with time travel and...pew pew .

Dench

Thank you for posting this review. I personally had already made up my mind about not going to see it but after reading this I may give it a chance after all.

My biggest fear was this being a bastardized version of Star Trek and it just totally slam-dancing all over my fond memories of the series.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Ravenholdt

As for the whole kirk being disobedient and then getting into a position of power, that's pretty much how it goes in the original series. He loses admiral rank multiple times, cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test, because it wasn't a fair test of character.

I'm looking forward to seeing this after my final on friday.

Science Fiction Super Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

god i want to click these spoilers so bad but im resisting

going to see it tonite cant fucking wait

With milk. With love
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    According to an interview I read there is 1 tribble somewhere, but its kind of an easter egg.
    'Star Trek' director J.J. Abrams on tribbles and the 'Galaxy Quest' problem | Hero Complex | Los Angeles Times
    Another easter egg of sorts, kinda alluding to the series roots...

Look for a bald-headed bridge officer with a bit of white hair on the sides. A descendant of Picard perhaps?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

best trek movie ever

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

period

BG Level