Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Way to Go Vermont!     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Way to Go Vermont!

I'm not gay, but I think this is great for people that are gay.

Vermont legalizes gay marriage with veto override
    AP

By DAVE GRAM, Associated Press Writer Dave Gram, Associated Press Writer – 33 mins ago

MONTPELIER, Vt. – Vermont on Tuesday became the fourth state to legalize gay marriage — and the first to do so with a legislature's vote.

The House recorded a dramatic 100-49 vote — the minimum needed — to override Gov. Jim Douglas' veto. Its vote followed a much easier override vote in the Senate, which rebuffed the Republican governor with a vote of 23-5.

Vermont was the first state to legalize civil unions for same-sex couples and joins Connecticut, Massachusetts and Iowa in giving gays the right to marry. Their approval of gay marriage came from the courts.

Tuesday morning's legislative action came less than a day after Douglas issued a veto message saying the bill would not improve the lot of gay and lesbian couples because it still would not provide them rights under federal and other states' laws.

House Speaker Shap Smith's announcement of the vote brought an outburst of jubilation from some of the hundreds packed into the gallery and the lobby outside the House chamber, despite the speaker's admonishment against such displays.

Among the celebrants in the lobby were former Rep. Robert Dostis, D-Waterbury, and his longtime partner, Chuck Kletecka. Dostis recalled efforts to expand gay rights dating to an anti-discrimination law passed in 1992.

"It's been a very long battle. It's been almost 20 years to get to this point," Dostis said. "I think finally, most people in Vermont understand that we're a couple like any other couple. We're as good and as bad as any other group of people. And now I think we have a chance to prove ourselves here on forward that we're good members of our community."

Dostis said he and Kletecka will celebrate their 25th year together in September.

"Is that a proposal?" Kletecka asked.

"Yeah," Dostis replied. "Twenty-five years together, I think it's time we finally got married."

Craig Bensen, a gay marriage opponent who had lobbied unsuccessfully for a nonbinding referendum on the question, said he was disappointed but believed gay marriage opponents were outspent by supporters by a 20-1 margin.

"The other side had a highly funded, extremely well-oiled machine with all the political leadership except the governor pushing to make this happen," he said. "The fact that it came down to this tight a vote is really astounding."

Also in the crowd was Michael Feiner, a farmer from Roxbury and gay marriage supporter, who took a break from collecting sap for maple syrup-making to come to the Statehouse.

"I'm taking a break to come and basically make sure that I was here to witness history," he said.

The House had initially passed the bill last week with a 95-52 vote.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

About time.

"BUT THS IS NO T GODZ WILL 11!"

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Iowa last week and now Vermont? I like this trend.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by TacoTaru View Post
    Same, I hope it continues to be completely honest. Most people have been brainwashed to believe that homosexuals are mutants or are not entitled to happiness. If it's anything we should learn is that happiness is reserved only for true believers in the magical holy father.

Darwinism if you will....

To each his own, I too am not gay but I do support gay rights, marriage, work, kids happiness etc... I mean why not? inb4 "adam n steve" rants from Jones.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

Where next, Texas? Oh, wait...

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    Where next, Texas? Oh, wait...
    I wish.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I'm glad to see this. It's so hard to move a country away from discrimination. Luckily, we can do it one state at a time.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

The best part is that the Iowa decision was unanimous and the Vermont law can't be vetoed.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Mizango View Post
    About time.

"BUT THS IS NO T GODZ WILL 11!"
    But it's the citizens' will! This is particularly awesome. VT is the only state so far that introduced equal marriage by legislation, so no one can accuse "activist judges" or destroying American moral fiber. The only way to do it is to directly accuse the citizens of the state, and hopefully no politician is stupid enough to go that far.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

This is pretty gay.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

We should have a ruling soon on the California situation too.. hopefully Prop 8 gets struck down on technical reasons.

Science Fiction Super Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

this is why vermont cant have nice things

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Olo401 View Post
    We should have a ruling soon on the California situation too.. hopefully Prop 8 gets struck down on technical reasons.
    I think the Court has until June to make a decision there. I don't know how I feel about the technical argument about amendment vs. revision, but the attorney general argued that prop 8 set up a contradiction in the constitution so it should be repealed, and that I agree with. In any case, I see that being a close decision, probably 4-3 just like the original marriage case.

And related to this topic, Sweden last week also legalized equal marriage. It does kind of seem like an avalanche of good news.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Fag.

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Gingrich: Iowa ruling shows `judicial arrogance'
    AP

57 mins ago

ATHENS, Ga. – Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich says that a recent Iowa Supreme Court ruling legalizing gay marriage is "outrageously wrong."

Gingrich spoke Tuesday at the University of Georgia's law school, where he's been teaching a series on the judicial system.

Gingrich says that he was astonished by last Friday's decision in the heartland state, and predicts a major battle over judicial power. He says the decision demonstrated "judicial arrogance."

Gingrich is mentioned as a possible Republican presidential contender in 2012. He said Tuesday that any decision on a run was a year away. In the meantime, he's been keeping a high profile advising Republicans on Capitol Hill

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Dimmauk View Post
    AP

57 mins ago

ATHENS, Ga. – Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich says that a recent Iowa Supreme Court ruling legalizing gay marriage is "outrageously wrong."

Gingrich spoke Tuesday at the University of Georgia's law school, where he's been teaching a series on the judicial system.
    Damn him for dragging our school through the mud with him.

Hasn't their been legal gay marriage in VT before? Was it legalized a different way and then vetoed? Or am I thinking of a different state.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Azkarin2 View Post
    Damn him for dragging our school through the mud with him.

Hasn't their been legal gay marriage in VT before? Was it legalized a different way and then vetoed? Or am I thinking of a different state.
    VT has civil unions, which isn't the same as marriage.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Dimmauk View Post
    AP

57 mins ago

Gingrich says that he was astonished by last Friday's decision in the heartland state, and predicts a major battle over judicial power. He says the decision demonstrated "judicial arrogance."

Gingrich is mentioned as a possible Republican presidential contender in 2012. He said Tuesday that any decision on a run was a year away. In the meantime, he's been keeping a high profile advising Republicans on Capitol Hill

Told you. Everyone knows that being gay infringes on the natural born rights of humans everywhere.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Shattered Hand

Rome.

Homosexuals are gay.