Holy shit, that's a hot move.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Kenai View Post
    It could do well, but I'm not keeping my hopes up. It really deserves the sales, but with a few exceptions 360 users to tend to buy more games than any other userbase I can think of, especially when compared to the PS3. I'm not sure if it's the bigger userbase or the PS3 people that buy it just for Blurays or what.
    It wouldnt do horrible, but it would probably be similar to the sales of MGS2 substance on Xbox, or similar game that were ported at a later time with bonus. I dont have the exact number. I dont remember the number, but it's like 10-15% of the original iirc

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

OH MY GOD YES AT DHAOS'S LINE

I loooooove that line <3 <3 <3

I decided a while ago that I would get into Tales games. I plan on playing Vesperia and Abyss, but what other Tales games (like SNES/PS1 days) are worth playing? I hear there are quite a few shitty ones, so I'd like to avoid those.

And I know I could search but this honestly just seems easier.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    I decided a while ago that I would get into Tales games. I plan on playing Vesperia and Abyss, but what other Tales games (like SNES/PS1 days) are worth playing? I hear there are quite a few shitty ones, so I'd like to avoid those.

And I know I could search but this honestly just seems easier.
    Just start with Abyss/vesperia. If you like them, go back to old one and see how it all started (if you're able to handle old games when no nostalgia is involved). If you just want to try a Tales game for free and can't run ps2 emulator, I would go with Destiny on psx.

ToPhantasia is impresive for a SNES game. If you're able to forgive the game for being old, it's similar to Star Ocean 1 in many way.

Same thing with Tales of Destiny. It's comparable to the decent psx rpg. They were still using the "chase all 8 elemental" template for a large part of the story, but gameplay, colorful environement, and music made up for it. There was a few nice twist near the end.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Were those moves/combo attacks in the 360 version? I thought I got pretty good towards the end of the game but I don't remember being able to do that. I'm interested in PS3 version just for the extra content though, this game is awesome.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

No, you're not able to do it in the 360 version... that is why I posted that :3

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia View Post
    Just start with Abyss/vesperia. If you like them, go back to old one and see how it all started (if you're able to handle old games when no nostalgia is involved). If you just want to try a Tales game for free and can't run ps2 emulator, I would go with Destiny on psx.

ToPhantasia is impresive for a SNES game. If you're able to forgive the game for being old, it's similar to Star Ocean 1 in many way.

Same thing with Tales of Destiny. It's comparable to the decent psx rpg. They were still using the "chase all 8 elemental" template for a large part of the story, but gameplay, colorful environement, and music made up for it. There was a few nice twist near the end.
    Thanks, so far it seems like I'm going to try Phantasia, Destiny, Abyss and Vesperia.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Eternia (PSP if you have it, if not PS1), imo, was far better than Phantasia. I only got into the Tales series recently so I have not played many, but Phantasia is far more dated. If you're gonna play it I would suggest you play it first, because after you play Eternia you will not want to play Phantasia, the combat just feels a whole lot more stiff. And you should most definitely play Eternia, I haven't played them all, but lots of people consider it the best of the 2d games.

thanks again, will definitely look at that too. I just downloaded Phantasia and already I can see why it's best to start with this game. The voice acting in it makes me laugh, as well as their huge heads.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Eternia for me was probably one of my least favorites. I got it after having beaten Phantasia and Destiny, but I just, didn't really like the characters, and couldn't really get into the story, so I stopped when I got to the sylph cave I think, with no desire really to continue >.>

I did eventually go back, and yeah, it ended up being pretty damn good. Still don't really like the characters, but meh

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

No love for Symphonia? =( That was my favorite so far. I haven't played Vesperia yet, waiting for the PS3 version to come here.

♥ Neliel ♥
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Suzunomia Hymnos
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Tales of Symphonia is one of the few that got me really into the 'Tales of' games. I really enjoyed that one alot and played through it quite a few times.

I'll be glad when/if they come out with a release date for NA version of ToV for ps3.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Scythiroth View Post
    No love for Symphonia? =( That was my favorite so far. I haven't played Vesperia yet, waiting for the PS3 version to come here.
    I never owned the game and beat it completely, so I can vouch for it.

Some gameplay footage of Tales of Graces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaIzjLrafWc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46LrXU9N0hc

(sound isn't great in the second one, and you can hear Vesperia in the background)

Looks awesome.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I had to borrow a friend's GC to play Symphonia... 4player'd the whole game, loved it.
    And yeah, I vouch for Eternia.

Definitely loved that too.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Phantasia on PS1 has a translated version available if you patch your ISO, from a group called Absolute Zero, and another patch is nearing completion by Phantasian Productions. The PS1 version is vastly superior to the SNES and GBA versions. Only the PSP version beats it out for content, and that's just because they VAed more of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenai View Post
    Yet, I believe the highest selling entry in the series stateside was the Gamecube game, even though the PS1, PS2, 360 and now PS3 have main entries...
    That's because Namco of America doesn't advertise the games. They actually asked fans on their forum to advertise Legendia for them. Symphonia sold well in North America because Nintendo of America was in charge of the ad campaign, and funded the localization. It wouldn't have come over if Nintendo hadn't forced the issue. Namco still won't touch 2D Tales games to have them brough over here, and seems to be staying away from handheld Tales games (except Radiant Mythology) since releasing the crappy GBA version of Phantasia with a horrible translation (Ragnarok became Kangaroo? WTF).

Also, Namco of Japan won't let another company touch the games to even prove them wrong, that the series can sell if given proper localization treatment and advertising. Several localization companies, like NIS America, Atlus, and XSeed have been denied any attempts to acquire localization rights for several of the games. Namco of America has to do it or the game simply won't come over, because the Japanese branch won't let it go to other hands. The problem is the North American branch doesn't want to spend the resources most of the risk, and when they do, they don't usually do a proper job.

Legendia, the release right after Symphonia, had the last half of the game without voice acting because the American branch wouldn't give it a sufficient budget. Symphonia had no voice acting at all for skits, when they should have been fully voiced, as is the norm with Tales games since PS1 Phantasia. Eternia had the skits removed. I think Abyss had skit voices not done. Ihave no idea on Vesperia since I don't have a console that can play it. Tales games in Japan, meanwhile, have a lot of VA all over the place.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

lol at the poor people who can only afford one console.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Out.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

The first boss in the new bonus dungeon for the PS3 version, Boukyou no Bosho (Grave of Periscopes or some such). Weird dungeon overall, since each floor is one huge battle. This guy has a lot of radial attacks that give him full coverage, I should've went ahead and put Grace on Rita even though it's 24 skill points.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGp2bMtDNQY

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast