Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"You haven't leveled the job, so your opinion is invalid"

I just had that argument thrown at me while we were discussing Pld bodies in my linkshell. Do people still believe that? How much merit is there in that statement?

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Ysera

Shit's situational.

Hey, it works for this, too. Some people really shouldn't open their mouths about jobs they haven't leveled - hell, some people really shouldn't open their mouths about jobs they HAVE leveled. While others know jobs they haven't leveled to a disturbing degree, for whatever reason (just curious, need to due to being in a leadership position of some sort, research before they level it, etc).

Issac

Quote Originally Posted by Lexa View Post
    Shit's situational.

Hey, it works for this, too. Some people really shouldn't open their mouths about jobs they haven't leveled - hell, some people really shouldn't open their mouths about jobs they HAVE leveled. While others know jobs they haven't leveled to a disturbing degree, for whatever reason (just curious, need to due to being in a leadership position of some sort, research before they level it, etc).
    This. My brain isnt awake yet I couldn't form a sentence for this thread that made sense. But I mean some things are just common sense/knowledge and then you have some guy that won't listen to you because you only have said job at 37 whatever lol.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Armel Falzen
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

A retarded argument, along with I was level 75 before you/longer, etc.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

The statement is true and valid back in 2003.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

I'm in agreement with everyone else about not having to have the job leveled to know how to play it. Some jobs you should get a general feel for just be being around them enough. For example knowing a bunch of paladins, or partying with nothing but paladins.... you would kind of understand how to play paladin, if not from actually playing it, but from paying attention to what they're doing.

I think that argument comes up when people don't want constructive feedback on how they're playing. Though constructive feedback can come off as insulting or an attack on the person, depending on how you phrase it so I think that's why people react so negatively to it.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Depends on what people are talking about, but in general I would say yeah you don't need to play a job to know about it. Especially when you are talking about gear.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ferien Terzo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I would agree for most jobs, but honestly, tanking is more about how you do it than what gear you wear. Each tank has their own style and form, and the gear you wear needs to complement that. My co-tank and I wore almost completely different sets of gear, but we were both just as effective at what we did.

That being said, it's better to have everything for every situation, because shit is situational.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferien View Post
    I would agree for most jobs, but honestly, tanking is more about how you do it than what gear you wear. Each tank has their own style and form, and the gear you wear needs to complement that. My co-tank and I wore almost completely different sets of gear, but we were both just as effective at what we did.

That being said, it's better to have everything for every situation, because shit is situational.
    I'm quite familiar with the situational gear adage, but we were discussing the ACP body and why all the Plds were excited over fast cast on the body.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I'd say it's pretty invalid. I've leveled RDM SMN and NIN to 75, but I've used every job except PUP COR and DNC on other accounts in endgame situations multiple times (well, SCH only once, so sue me). Plus I'm a nerd so I'd say I know a good bit about other jobs

It depends on the person though. Were you arguing that the Fast Cast was good or not? Just curious, haha.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ferien Terzo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

=x because it's fucking awesome is why...

Problem here is you've got 3 worthwhile stats to choose from, and you can only pick 2. There are good arguments for Acc, Enmity, and Fast Cast, so you have to weigh them against what's important to you as a tank and what fits with the way you currently play and what you currently fight.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Emnity doesn't do anything for you while idling so pick emnity and fast cast and use it only on spells, and then melee in avalon or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Chantal View Post
    I'd say it's pretty invalid. I've leveled RDM SMN and NIN to 75, but I've used every job except PUP COR and DNC on other accounts in endgame situations multiple times (well, SCH only once, so sue me). Plus I'm a nerd so I'd say I know a good bit about other jobs

It depends on the person though. Were you arguing that the Fast Cast was good or not? Just curious, haha.
    He thought the fastcast wasn't a big deal (he's the Pld), and I told him to go look at the other augments for the bodies and get back to me. he then said "And when you level Pld, you get back to me".

Holy fuck, I raged.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ferien Terzo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

*Insert comment about whiny mages here*

Yes, I know, fuck them, but I actually had mages who would stop curing me if I switched gear.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

you can lead a noob to water but you can't make a noob drink

Quote Originally Posted by Pindle View Post
    I just had that argument thrown at me while we were discussing Pld bodies in my linkshell. Do people still believe that? How much merit is there in that statement?
    It's generally true. Too many things on rdm, pup, blm, mnk would be subtle for a person that doesn't have it at 75. Macro/gear swap/playstyle ...

Quote Originally Posted by pchan View Post
    It's generally true. Too many things on rdm, pup, blm, mnk would be subtle for a person that doesn't have it at 75. Macro/gear swap/playstyle ...
    Lol.

MNK: Put on appropriate AF/relic for JA, melee in max possible haste and accuracy, use attack/acc for asuran

RDM: Cast mnd debuffs in mnd gear, cast other enfeebs in skill set, use appropriate staffs, idle in dmg- and regen/refresh

BLM: same as rdm

PUP: delevel to 3

not really that complicated, I can't see anyone being unable to figure that stuff out

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Thorny View Post
    I can't see anyone being unable to figure that stuff out
    You'd be surprised, can just look around in game.

Quote Originally Posted by Fridell View Post
    You'd be surprised, can just look around in game.
    Unable and unwilling are drastically different terms. If you can figure out how to register your account and make a character, you can figure out how to use community websites to gain basic information on your job. If you can play ffxi, you have an internet connection, so barring someone with a ps2 and no pc or public internet access everyone is ABLE to(and even those people are probably often given tips by disappointed party members). So many people are unwilling though :/

yeah, just look at john q iota ring over here