+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Kaelia

Unlikely/Hesitant Heroes - Know any good fictional ones?

Doing an edited collection project for a low level English course and I need to come up with a few more "unlikely/hesitant heroes" from fiction (TV/film/comic/game/novel/doesn't matter). In case it isn't obvious, what I mean by that is a person who takes on the role of "hero" reluctantly, whether it's because they don't find themselves capable of it, never considered a task like that, or whatever other reason that might make them the last person you expect to be a hero. They do the job because they have to or because they understand they are the only one who can, something like that. Examples might be Frodo from Lord of the Rings or Han Solo from Star Wars. I have to come up with at least 20 and believe it or not I'm having a hard time doing that even spamming Google. Anybody have any good ideas (preferably easily researchable)? If you do, please include at least the character name, what they are from, and the genre (movie/book/game/etc.) If you want to give a few reasons/examples of why you think they fit the description of an unlikely hero, that would be helpful (but not necessary unless you feel like it, as I could do the researching otherwise.) Thanks in advance; this has been a pain in the ass thus far. And to think, after I come up with the list I have to write an article/chapter on each...

Edit: The ones I already have come up with on my own are Frodo, Han Solo, Jack Sparrow, Spiderman, Tony Stark/Iron Man, Hancock, Capell (IU), Neo (from the Matrix), Darth Vader, Jason Tripitikas (Forbidden Kingdom), and maybe Harry Potter.

Ridill
    BG Level

had to make check to see if you werent from the same area as me.. we just had this same kind of thing to do in my english class lol.
    and no, dont have any others that you didnt already list.

Oh, you've got green eyes.
    Oh, you've got blue eyes.
    Oh, you've got grey eyes.

BG Level

I can't think of a more reluctant hero than Shinji Ikari, lead character in Neon Genesis Evangelion

His father runs Nerv, a militaristic organization to prevent future invasions by "angels" effectively aliens, who are battled by Nerv pilots in giant mecha (called Evangelions). The technology is complicated but in short very few can actually pilot them due to the statisical unlikelihood that someone could actually "synchronize" with the Evangelion.

Shinji is almost literally thrown into an emergency situation where he is torn between sending a previous near-comatose pilot and going into an Evangelion with no training or exposure and huge abandonment issues related to his father who by this point he hadn't seen in years.

He struggles to find reasons to continue, recognizing that he is one of a rare few that can pilot the Evangelions (particular unit 02, his Evangelion) but at one point even runs away due to psychological strain. Later in the series this is all undone, Shinji never having been particularly stable in the first place. That being said he does have moments of extreme heroism, diving into a volcano (still inside his mecha) to retrieve a comrade, returning to battle despite openly admitting he has no personal desire to pilot the mechas and suffers inside terribly each time he does.

I could go on, but with 20 of these I would think this is enough

you can start here for any additional info or PM me, I've been rewatching the series again lately

Kaelia

@Souj: lol, sorry to hear that; I wouldn't wish this project on anyone.

@Howard Roark: OMG, perfect suggestion; thank you! Exactly why I love AskBG.

Ridill
    BG Level

Jake in the Dark Tower series is about the best example of this you'll ever see, in so, so many ways.

edit: I didn't notice the part about needing 20, but honestly you could probably find 20 quality candidates from that series alone heh

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Vegeta in Dragonball Z/GT (that can be debated, though).

I would agree Harry Potter would fit this criteria since he's always questioning Dumbledore about being the only person that can defeat Voldemort. I think the last two books or so really showed how he was reluctant to be the one who had to carry such a burden.

I know I'll think of some more, this is a really interesting topic for a paper.

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Sawyer on Lost.
    Maybe Michael Corleone in The first Godfather, at first, before he pops Sollozo and the Irish Cop, arguable if he is a hero though.
    Amir in The Kite Runner

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

edit: I need to read the OP in full... -_-

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Also, maybe Riddick in Pitch Black/Chronicles of Riddick (both movies). Can't think of a good reason for this choice since a lot of the times his actions only benefit himself (ditching the survivors in Pitch Black so he could get to a ship). He does stop and save Jack in Pitch Black, even though he doesn't want to, so I figured maybe that was enough for you.

Kaelia

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybar View Post
    Vegeta in Dragonball Z/GT (that can be debated, though).

I would agree Harry Potter would fit this criteria since he's always questioning Dumbledore about being the only person that can defeat Voldemort. I think the last two books or so really showed how he was reluctant to be the one who had to carry such a burden.

I know I'll think of some more, this is a really interesting topic for a paper.
    Ah, thanks; the Harry Potter thing is very helpful. I never made it past book four myself so I wasn't quite as positive as you are. Vegeta was a good idea as well; I think an argument could be made for that. If you do come up with any more I'd be happy to hear them. :D Thanks again.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

fuckin braveheart

also king arthur in some versions. i remember in the cartoon he was a little bitch squire, then he pulled the sword out of the stone and IT WAS ON.

Silly Hat Connoisseur
    BG Level

Paksenarrion from Elizabeth Moon's "The Deed of Paksenarrion" would fit the bill!

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Sentry - Scared of his own abilities, full of self doubt while having the power of a god, plus mental issues

Dr. Manhattan perhaps?

Giaus Baltar - Battlestar Galactia - Coward and manipulator pretty much until the final episode.

Ralph - Lord of the Flies

Evey Hammond - V for Vendetta

I'll try and think of some more later.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Hazel from Watership Down. Yeah he's a bunny, but hey it's Easter.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Sarah/John Connor to an extent in the two Terminator titles. I think John is a stronger character to write about than Sarah, but that's my opinion. I can't quite remember how the James Cameron wanted to portray John and Sarah's feelings about the future and how they were to help prevent the shitstorm.

Dr. Manhattan perhaps?
    You could even go as far to say that Ozymandias was a reluctant hero.

Spike Spiegel (cow boy bebop) just a bounty hunter and ends up saving the world or worlds at times from taking down criminals.

Rod Kimble (Hot Rod) - saves his step father from ding of a hear problem by raising money doing stunts. His only reason for saving his step father is to kick his ass later on.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

BATTLE POPE

gonna save some hot babes and punch radiation in the mouth.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Frostwolf

Harry Dresden

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

As much as I dislike the books, Richard from the Sword of Truth series is a good one. Constantly doesn't think he's their chosen dude.

Ender from Ender's Game? Had to be tricked into blowing up a planet of aliens.

Shea from Sword of Shannara, basically same plot line as Lord of the Rings. Shea being Frodo.

I know you mentioned Frodo, but don't forget Bilbo was also a reluctant hero from The Hobbit.

hahaha bf pointed out Bastion from The Neverending Story. (though if you do this one, do the movie version, second half of book he becomes a brat)

Can't think of any more atm, if I do I'll post them

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast