FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Going to be heading into my first College semester in the Fall

What exactly should i expect?
    I was more than likely going to head into the Nursing or another Medical profession, looking for some answers on what I should generally expect in terms of a workload. etc.

Edit: WTF happened to my topic title, was supposed to say Heading into, must have typed going to instead x.x

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Depends on the size of your school, but don't expect a whole ton more work than in Highschool. Also depends on how well you understand your major. Are you taking these courses for the first time (i.e. a Biological science class, anatomy, etc)?

You'll be working a lot on general education (Math, English, Science, sometimes Foreign Language) probably your first two or three semesters. By the time you hit the heavy stuff in your major, you probably will already know what to expect.

If you realize you are learning at a slow pace, DO NOT GO OUT AND PARTY. If you are struggling, the last thing you should be doing is binging. Of course, I don't mean to say enjoy yourself every so often, but don't make it a daily habit.

I know I regret not working hard enough and not taking college serious enough. Don't take the first few years for granted and then work your ass off the last 2 years.

Where are you going to school? I really think the workload in those first couple years of general ed. varies depending on the school.

I, for one, blew it my first two semesters with something like a 1.9 and a 2.3 all while taking classes that were mostly easier than classes i took in high school. So I had to work my butt off in the later and much much tougher classes/years. I got back to about a 3.0 but i could have had a 3.2+ at least if i didnt mess up so bad those first two semesters. So make sure to get off to a good start. At least a 2.5+.

Other than that college is pretty easy for the most part. Its kind of a gradual climb that you get accustom to. Like 5 page papers, then 10 pagers and finally the 20-50 pagers that make you want to go crazy...

Other than that i would definately suggest talking to everyone and making as many friends as you can. Basically anyone, professors, upper classmen, adminstrative people, people you wouldnt normally talk to etc., because networking is usually more important than that piece of paper you up end with after 4-5 years... If you want a good job anyway.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Also, if you plan on going into a higher medical field, strive for over a 3.0 average. A lot of employers laughed (not literally) at people I knew who had a 2.9 or a 3.1.

Also, talk to advisers (some schools make it mandatory) about what classes you should be taking in the following semesters. Make some friends, find out if they take or took classes you will or are taking. Find out who are the good and bad teachers (with large schools, forget about it). I can't tell you how much better off my classes could have been with a better professor. TAs can sometimes be more helpful than an overworked professor - keep that in mind.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Medicine huh. Say goodbye to sleep for the next 8-10 years.

Yeah, if you're looking to go on for something like a MD or a DO or PA, make sure your GPA is up there. I've had a few friends with 3.8's apply to a lot of schools and it take them forever to get into one.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Gonna sound retarded, but DO YOUR HOMEWORK. It's the advice I give to everyone I know going into college. If you're going to a state school, then big thing is you'll be going to school less than college, but with more homework.

Too many kids slack off on that part because they slacked off on it in high school and it didn't matter. You'll find that even if you end up doing bad on your tests, if you have an A in your homework, it's still gonna save your grade.

Also, anytime you're doing poorly in class TALK TO THE TEACHER. I had to take physics (<-totally fail at higher sciences) class, and I was doing terrible. Couldn't remember all the formulas and when to use them @.@;. So I went to the teacher and had him try and tutor me, which still didn't help too much XD. He passed me with a C+ though instead of the D I should have gotten, because he knew I was trying instead of being some hungover kid who couldn't pay attention in class.

I had another English teacher who specifically gave insanely hard tests then had the TA write down all the students names who came for help, and we were the ones that got the good grades..

Title: "HUBBLE GOTCHU!" (without the quotes, of course [and without "(without the quotes, of course)", of course], etc)
    BG Level

I have a friend who's a double major in nursing and law, and she flips out whenever her GPA is in danger of going below 3.8. I celebrate when mine is higher than 2.5. So yeah, it's one of the tougher degrees (don't let that discourage you though, because no matter what field you go into you should be striving for a GPA that high anyways [i'm a hypocrite, I know {hey, how many brackets can I put inside brackets before I confuse people (lol just kidding, I'll stop [but this is fun though])}]. Also, it's well worth the work because nurses get good pay (and of course doctors get more [oh crap not the brackets again {I wont do as many this time (sorry, I had a LOT of coffee this morning)}).

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

Learn the material. College isn't about memorizing facts, it's about being able to think critically and find information when you need it. You can get straight Cs if you try the old highschool cram sessions with flash cards and shit, or you can make As by being creative and understanding the material enough to be able to synthesize interesting answers and arguments.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Study study study study study study study study study

Can't say it enough. People here will tell you that they studied the night before or wrote their paper the night before but fuck that. That will come back and get you in the ass when you're doing a final. College is not hard at all if you study 2 hours a night for various classes and really crack down on yourself the week of a test in any given class.

Also, don't party. College is not a place to party. Consider the next 4 years of your life equal to the rest of it. If you spend all day parting for momentary sanctification I can assure you the latter years of your life will suck. GPA means everything in nursing. You cannot do the nursing program here unless you hold a 3.5 and there is a two year waiting list for anything medical. If you get in to a medical major, take it to heart and seriously focus on your grades.

Also, I agree with the others about talking to the teachers if your slipping. Make sure you show up every day even if its not required and make yourself visible. I had my English teacher, just last week actually, bump EVERY PAPER to an A because I showed up every day to class, asked questions, and asked her for extra credit. I went from a B to a perfect grade because of this. Not all teachers will be that nice, but I have yet to have one who wont help you in some way if you follow that advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Alleya View Post
    Learn the material. College isn't about memorizing facts, it's about being able to think critically and find information when you need it. You can get straight Cs if you try the old highschool cram sessions with flash cards and shit, or you can make As by being creative and understanding the material enough to be able to synthesize interesting answers and arguments.
    This is important too. I used to ascribe to the train of thought that I can just cram and memorize for the tests, but once you graduate, you're supposed to be a master in your field. You shouldn't need to reference general information and major concepts, but rather you ought to know them right away.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Speaking of being an attentive student; I had accidentally missed my midterm for a Humanities class. I was one of only 3 students out of 20 that actually participated everyday in class. Because of that, my teacher allowed me to take a makeup (it was against her policy at the time) or take a class average. I took the makeup because I don't trust my class...and I got an A+ (I love humanities ;x)

Get to know your classmates, too. In large lectures that's impossible, but most if not all lectures have discussion groups on off days. Make study groups or something. This is tremendously helpful if you aren't really understanding the class and your TA/professor aren't being helpful.

BG's worst Rangers fan
    Fleury 2; Lundqvist 0
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bad Karma
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybar View Post
    If you realize you are learning at a slow pace, DO NOT GO OUT AND PARTY. If you are struggling, the last thing you should be doing is binging. Of course, I don't mean to say enjoy yourself every so often, but don't make it a daily habit.
    Well i go out at least 3 or 4 nights a week now, have a 96 average throughout high school and i play a sport. Never really had a problem multitasking.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

The problem is you said Highschool.

BG's worst Rangers fan
    Fleury 2; Lundqvist 0
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bad Karma
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybar View Post
    The problem is you said Highschool.
    I realized this, which is why i asked about college lolz. Anyway the college I'm going to has one of the best Nursing programs in New York state, The medical institution (which holds about 500 students) is separate from the main building (Which holds about 10,000 students). The Nursing program only admits about 1 of every 5 applicants and once your in you need to maintain a 3.4 GPA.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Well at least the institution is small. If you have to maintain a 3.4, that means you can't drop below a B in pretty much all of your classes. So, expect a lot of work after your first year and even more so if/when you transfer.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Rush Sigma Pi, drink lots of jager, and always wear a condom is what you should do. Partying wed-sat is what you should expect. do 12 credits a semester because 5 year college plan is fucking awesome.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Coming from the psych line of classes, it can seem like alot at one time. The main thing i would offer someone new to the college atmosphere in general, and not just in medicine, is to STAY FOCUSED

I remember college being the hardest time of my life to stay on track and focus on what I was wanting to accomplish. There is literally a new distraction every day. But with that said, don't bottle yourself up in a corner somewhere, scared of social interaction. Just know your limits, and work from there

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Maintain your GPA above 3.6 no matter what and you will thank me later whether you look for jobs or decide to apply for graduate school. Get involved and know as many people as possible. College is a great place to experiment, be it drugs, alcohol, girls, whatever, just keep in moderation.

Do not get a credit card. period. Just don't.
    Always use a condom, even she says she's on the pill. Use a condom.