+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    She certainly deserves the praise, but they are essentially milking this for the emotional response. It is kind of ironic really.
    You say this is ironic like it isn't a television show or anything.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I laughed my ass off when they cut to the crowd giving her that cheesy-ass standing ovation in the middle of the song. 10/10 would watch again

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Tricen View Post
    I guess you have to enjoy that type of music to get it.
    I dunno, i enjoy a bit of opera now and then, listening to some Wagner right now actually. Maybe it's pretty sweet if you have low standards or something?

Xavier

You're entitled to your opinion, but your standards are obviously ridiculously high.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Frostmane

I think she could totally nail "Memory" if she worked on it.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Reapz View Post
    Well she shocked the hell out of everyone lol.
    I like this dance group too - YouTube - Flawless - Dance Act - Britains Got Talent 2009
    i would serve these guys with my boys O-zone and Turbo from Breakin' 2 electric boogaloo

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    You say this is ironic like it isn't a television show or anything.
    I mean ironic in the sense that they're using the unconventional to gain ratings instead of just posing lots of pretty people who happen to have pretty to meh voices. Good show though.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bwelch View Post
    I think she could totally nail "Memory" if she worked on it.
    Ooh, I wanna hear that now. I bet she could.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I'm not sure... wouldn't really want to see her in les miserables...
    Maybe something from Mame?

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Moridam View Post
    I dunno, i enjoy a bit of opera now and then, listening to some Wagner right now actually. Maybe it's pretty sweet if you have low standards or something?
    She has a lovely voice for an amateur who clearly hasn't had a lot of formal voice training. Comparing her to opera singers with dozens of years of experience behind them is kind of stupid. "The Fuss," in case you're still unclear on it, is that nobody expected her to sing this well in spite of her circumstances, and that makes for good TV.

THIS IS NOT LIVEJOURNAL DOT COM
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Detheroc

Wonderful voice. One of my favorite Broadway standards. Did an excellent job. I definitely would not be opposed to hearing her sing more Broadway songs along a similar vein.... perhaps Once Upon a Dream?

I'm no judge at who can sing or not sing. In fact, when I watched any episodes of American Idol I couldn't pick up on why judges hated or liked performances.

Regardless of this criticisms of this being milked for publicity, I hope she gets lasting recognition-- It is not Susan Boyle milking her time in the limelight, it is the show milking Susan Boyle--and that does not strip Susan Boyle from receiving her due recognition.

gonna save some hot babes and punch radiation in the mouth.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Frostwolf

I think she's adorable. That little stomp/dance she did near the end was cute. As for the tears probable cause would be the lyrics have a realism that most people(especially britfags...they always seem depressed to me) can relate to. Especially those who've had broken hearts.

Banned.

BG Level

Effing amazing. One of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. I've never seen such a massive "fuck you" on a cosmic sense in my lifetime. Loved it, and I hope that woman goes very far in life whether its on a gimmick or not.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes11 View Post
    I don't get it >.>
    It's just that she doesn't look like a singer? idk what makes you guys emotional here >.>
    Because the woman has a voice that is simply angelic. You start out with the audience laughing at her when she walks out on stage and tells a bit of her story, then she begins to sing and she simply tore up that song and made it her own stunning the entire audience, judges, and everyone else. It's not just that she is an amazingly talented singer (who probably doesn't have a bit of training), she also is phenomenally soulful- she just doesn't recite the lyrics, you makes you feel them, makes them reverberate within your soul.

And also, who expects anyone with any sort of talent to go on a show like American Idol or Britain's Got Talent?

Spoiler: show
    And yes, I am bastard enough to admit that I cried a little the first time I heard her sing too.

gonna save some hot babes and punch radiation in the mouth.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Frostwolf

Awww Septi...do you want a hug?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    She certainly deserves the praise, but they are essentially milking this for the emotional response. It is kind of ironic really.
    This.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus View Post
    Because the woman has a voice that is simply angelic. You start out with the audience laughing at her when she walks out on stage and tells a bit of her story, then she begins to sing and she simply tore up that song and made it her own stunning the entire audience, judges, and everyone else. It's not just that she is an amazingly talented singer (who probably doesn't have a bit of training), she also is phenomenally soulful- she just doesn't recite the lyrics, you makes you feel them, makes them reverberate within your soul.

And also, who expects anyone with any sort of talent to go on a show like American Idol or Britain's Got Talent?

Spoiler: show
    And yes, I am bastard enough to admit that I cried a little the first time I heard her sing too.
    I didn't cry, I did however laugh like hell, and I don't mean that in the bad way, but rather the "Holy Hell I did not see this coming at all and I am absurdly surprised and enjoying it greatly :D"-way

I saw Les Miserables in London about a decade ago, and it completely changed my until then rather negative view on musicals.
    I thought this was pretty good, the question will be if she can repeat it with other songs. We'll see in a few weeks!

edit:
    What Septimus said, I agree to a large degree except for the part about who expects quality from a talent show.
    The question of quality is a difficult one, and the music majors will probably want to kill me, but to a large degree, I would argue that it is in the eye (or in this case,ear) of the beholder.
    (and taking a look, and listening through the current Billboard list, I stand by that argument.)
    The funny thing about the talent shows is that every now and then, you get a surprise :D

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Hype.

I just loved the turn around in the audience when I saw this the other day (it's been picked up by the BBC news and they were running the story yesterday because I don't watch the show). From utter contempt when they thought they were about to see another of the comedy no-hopers that they like to put on the audition shows for people to laugh at - to the total double-take when she started to sing. I also like the bit half-way through the song when it cuts to Simon's face and you can visibly see him totting up the pound signs in his head.

I like musicals as a general rule anyway so that kind of tune, well-sung will always appeal to me. I'd rather have someone like her go through (they'll heavily make her over anyway) than another of the identikit want to be Mariah/Whitney/Celine Barbie doll crew we keep getting from Cowell's clone machine.