+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

This just goes to show that people are dicks for laughing at her, equating bad looks with a bad singing voice.

Certified Man-Child
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

Wow. I really didn't expect her voice to be that good, and as mentioned above, it was a nice "fuck you" to everyone in the crowd laughing at her. I think she has a promising chance at a career in music now, with the exposure she's receiving. It's also great to see real talent being applauded, instead of some pop no-talent singer who only has their looks.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Norelco View Post
    This just goes to show that people are dicks for laughing at her, equating bad looks with a bad singing voice.
    This. This is why I hate American Idol (and the US music industry in general).

Bad image does NOT equate to a bad voice.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    This. This is why I hate American Idol (and the US music industry in general).

Bad image does NOT equate to a bad voice.
    Perhaps i am just a very cynical person, but this video came off to me as: "Hey look! You don't have to be pretty to be able to sing!!" to which i mentally replied: "Singing never had anything to do with looks, you stupid fucks".

A hot chick is always smarter, nicer, and better than a ugly one.

I always try to treat people equally, but it require some effort.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Devek View Post

Lazy troll is lazy.

Demosthenes11

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus View Post
    Because the woman has a voice that is simply angelic. You start out with the audience laughing at her when she walks out on stage and tells a bit of her story, then she begins to sing and she simply tore up that song and made it her own stunning the entire audience, judges, and everyone else. It's not just that she is an amazingly talented singer (who probably doesn't have a bit of training), she also is phenomenally soulful- she just doesn't recite the lyrics, you makes you feel them, makes them reverberate within your soul.

And also, who expects anyone with any sort of talent to go on a show like American Idol or Britain's Got Talent?

Spoiler: show
    And yes, I am bastard enough to admit that I cried a little the first time I heard her sing too.
    I only heard an average broadway performer >.>
    seriously, this wasn't OMFG BEST SINGER EVER because if you go to any professional show you will hear more or less the exact same thing. This isn't even really about her singing, it's just a "don't judge a book by it's cover a holes ;; " story which is a stupid premise to begin with if you aren't retarded. Maybe I'm just a cold, heartless bastard

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes11 View Post
    Maybe I'm just a cold, heartless bastard
    You are a republican after all aren't you?

C A P S UNLEASH THE FURY
    BG Level

pretty sure the only reason the audience (and that one girl judge LOL) stood up in the middle of the song is that they felt like shits for what they were thinking about her before she performed

still, beautiful

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes11 View Post
    I only heard an average broadway performer >.>
    seriously, this wasn't OMFG BEST SINGER EVER because if you go to any professional show you will hear more or less the exact same thing. This isn't even really about her singing, it's just a "don't judge a book by it's cover a holes ;; " story which is a stupid premise to begin with if you aren't retarded. Maybe I'm just a cold, heartless bastard
    Nah, just means you have the ability to draw a conclusion based on the actual performance, rather than a bunch of extraneous irrelevant details.

But anyway for all my negativity in this thread, I'm still optimistic, she has potential! Maybe she'll win some vocal lessons or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    Lazy troll is lazy.
    Idiot is idiot.

If you haven't noticed the disparity in the way that attractive women are treated compared to unattractive you are blind.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The story really got to me, and just the fact that those people laughing at her got smacked down... I was definitely teary-eyed, but that only started after she sang. I love her voice.

COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV
    COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV
    COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    Perhaps i am just a very cynical person, but this video came off to me as: "Hey look! You don't have to be pretty to be able to sing!!" to which i mentally replied: "Singing never had anything to do with looks, you stupid fucks".
    Exactly. Unfortunately most people don't think of it that way.

Even in this article from The Herald, which tries to point out that
    only the pretty are expected to achieve. Not only do you have to be physically appealing to deserve fame; it seems you now have to be good-looking to merit everyday common respect.
    at the end it comments:
    Susan has been forgiven her looks and been given respect because of her talent. She should always have received it because of the calibre of her character.
    Forgiven her looks? Really? Isn't that a bad word choice?

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Idiot is idiot.

If you haven't noticed the disparity in the way that attractive women are treated compared to unattractive you are blind.
    Gosh if you'd said that sentence instead of your earlier lazy 'haha ugly people aren't as good as pretty people' troll bullshit (trademark Devek move btw) you might have actually earned a point towards being taken seriously on these boards.

As it stands, lazy troll is still very very lazy.

Demosthenes11

You are a republican after all aren't you?
    damn totally, I'm so republican I voted an arab into the white house and I'm in the democrat club on campus because its more aligned with my beliefs

hmmm, I think i was being sarcastic

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

Take your lolitics somewhere else.

This was amazing. I agreed with whoever said it was a "fuck you in a cosmic sense".
    I could watch everyone faces go from wtf to WTF over and over.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Araelus View Post
    Exactly. Unfortunately most people don't think of it that way.

Even in this article from The Herald, which tries to point out that

at the end it comments:

Forgiven her looks? Really? Isn't that a bad word choice?

Is that a cause for derision or a reason for congratulation? Would her time have been better spent slimming and exercising, plucking and waxing, bleaching and botoxing? Would that have made her voice any sweeter?
    Sadly, appearances are what is seemingly important to many of us now.

Gosh if you'd said that sentence instead of your earlier lazy 'haha ugly people aren't as good as pretty people' troll bullshit (trademark Devek move btw) you might have actually earned a point towards being taken seriously on these boards.

As it stands, lazy troll is still very very lazy.
    As it stands, you are a fucking idiot.

Let me diagram this out for you. There were two sentences.

This is true. In any situation you can imagine, an attractive women will be considered smarter, nicer, and better than a less attractive woman. That is reality.

This is true. I go out of my way to judge people on the merits of their character. It is difficult because I naturally find myself more open minded and willing to give attractive females the benefit of the doubt while being more critical of less attractive females.

I am friends with this one girl who isn't just attractive but compelling. She is the type of person who can say that the world is flat and not only will you believe her, but people will be willing to fight you if you dare say she is wrong. It just so happens that the girl is pretty bright, but you really have to stop and think sometimes about what she is really saying.

You jumped to conclusion and didn't think. If you would learn to read I would take you more seriously and I wouldn't have to explain things to you like a child.

Every day I'm wafflin'
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

She's not an incredible singer. She's good; she hits all the notes, her vibrato is stable (although a little excessive), but I've been saying ever since I watched this episode last week that it pisses me off that the whole situation was exaggerated for the purpose of making "good TV". I'm not saying she's not good, or that she doesn't deserve recognition, but the whole thing was a great big dramatisation and nothing more. Maybe I'm too cynical for my own good, but that's my opinion.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

She was pretty good, it was live and she's probably never performed in front of an audience like that. I could definitely see her going far in musicals, not much else though.

Pop is for pretty people, music is for musicians. If she can write material equally as well as she sings, then I'd change my mind on that one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast