+ Reply to Thread
    Demosthenes11

bg /auto/ i need your help

I drive a 85 honda accord. this morning I went to go out and it wouldn't start. When i turn the key, everything is normal and then i let go of key once it starts and it dies. Normally I would take my time with fixing this, but I'm currently out of town and parked somewhere I will get ticketed/towed monday.

halpppp, I don't know shit about cars so keep that in mind too
    and yes, it has gas in it

Ryko's Full of Lies and Johns
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ryuu Akaneiro
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Dunemaul

Temp fix, but can you start the car with the gas pedal slightly depressed so you won't immediately stall?

If you can get it to do that, then take it somewhere to get your engine codes checked. It could be anything from carbon buildup to a faulty idle air control solenoid, idle control valve, throttle position sensor, air flow sensor or other things.

If you can't, then get it towed to do so. <_<

An Efficient Consumption Bundle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

Could be an electrical problem. Though if the engine does fire up with the starter engaged (which you should not keep engaged for any longer than necessary to start the engine as the starter can wear out very fast) it would indicate that the spark plugs are indeed firing. However, there could be a fault in the electrical system that only gets the plugs to fire when the key is in the "Start" position and not in the "On" position.

Does your car have a carburetter or fuel injection system?

Demosthenes11

I have no idea, how would I know that
    also, if it helps, its an automatic

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Find someone on BGforums that lives nearby your vehicle to tow it for the price of a handjob.

My guess is you aren't getting spark. Check your distributor cap and make sure it is on tight. On older cars the gap can wear big and cause the rotor to not spark the cap. I have bent the rotor down as a temporary fix on a couple older cars I had. Course the way to check is pull a spark plug and see if you are getting spark.

If its carburetted it should be easy to see if you are getting fuel. Have a friend watch to see if it is spraying fuel.

Demosthenes11

so from what I'm hearing here and what I've been told, this isn't some easy fix ;\
    I don't know shit about cars so I'll have to take it in monday...

In a tight situation though. I'm visiting the bay area this weekend and have class 2 hours south on monday lol. I can drive the car if I hold the key half way between start and on...but that seems like a horrible idea on the freeway

Sounds like you better start begging for cab fare.

Just did some reading on your engine and it sounds like it could be a faulty wire to your fuel pump. I guess your fuel pump goes 100% while starting your engine but then slacks off once you release the key to the run position. So by holding the key you are tricking the fuel pump to run full on. Hell, you might just have a plugged fuel filter. If you know where to look for your fuel filter you could pull it out and blow compressed air through it backwards. I have done that just so I could get home. Not a permanent fix. Sorry I cant be more help.

Demosthenes11

no...I'm sure you are being helpful lol. I'm the one that's unhelpful and doesn't know dick about cars. My gf looked at me after it didn't start and said "do you want to look under the hood and try to figure it out?" to which I went "wtf would I be able to do..."

and now I gotta spend money I don't have ;(

gonna save some hot babes and punch radiation in the mouth.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Frostwolf

Sounds a lot like a similar problem I had in my 89 civic. Might want to have a mechanic check your ignition coils and or modulator.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes11 View Post
    and now I gotta spend money I don't have ;(
    Try to avoid a place like Firestone, Big O Tires, EZ Lube, or practically any big chain like that. Call around to local independents instead. Ask them if they'll replace a fuel filter for you for the price of labor if you bring in the part (big corporation locations won't do this, and it can save you a buttload of cash).

Make an effort to get a few quotes for initial analysis and labor, then tow your car to the place that feels best (of course, not necessarily the cheapest).

Following all that, call up some auto parts places and ask how much they'll charge you for a 1985 Honda Civic fuel filter (they're available for as low as $20 online new, to provide some comparison), among other parts mentioned within this thread.

This should help save you money, since in the car repair business, it isn't always a case of "you get what you pay for." A lot of the chains employ relatively young and/or inexperienced mechanics, and they're encouraged to check for/sell you products and services you don't need. They also charge premiums to cover all their overhead.

Feielle

not that this will help you to fix it where you are, but...

My bet is that there's a problem with the ignition switch itself (what you stick the key into) When you're in "cranking" mode everything is lining up fine, but when you're in "run" mode something isn't lining up, like your accessory power. Does your radio work when the key is in "run"?

Do you have AAA? This is why I pay $40 a year for it. These guys have saved my ass on multiple occasions.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I can't help much but this all i can advice and say.

I had similar problems with at 94 civic, it ended up being cabling, sparks and a mix of CO2 build up. Get AAA, is cheap.. lowers your insurance in most states..and has random specials in some places.

PS:
    1985 is pretty old, if the car is starting to show problems now, you gonna have to change it. Old cars are for people that can fix their own engine.

Good Luck

Science Fiction Super Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

fill it up?

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by toonces View Post
    PS:
    1985 is pretty old, if the car is starting to show problems now, you gonna have to change it. Old cars are for people that can fix their own engine.
    Not really so in the case of Honda vehicles. Because of their popularity, it's not difficult at all to get those fixed. Parts are still manufactured for many older model varieties and everything. An older machine also equals cheaper insurance.

Only if the cost of repairs on a particular problem exceeds the value of the car should getting another be considered.

Demosthenes11

lol, i was wondering why people were talking about 85 >.> typo and I meant 95 <_____<;

but it's all good. I got the car in to a mechanic today (best in the east bay) by driving with the key half turned for 10 miles...(it's fuckin hard). I think I should teach myself something about cars to save me the $100 or so I gotta spend now...maybe sometime soon

thanks for all your help