+ Reply to Thread
    Home Theatre Aficionado
    BG Level

PS2 controllers for the computer

Anyone have any suggestions for PS2 controllers for the computer? I wanted to get a wireless one, but all suggestions are welcomed. I'm setting up some emulators and I want to have a few nice controllers to play with my friends.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

http://www.imagebeast.net/images/l84...6ot93hwgec.jpg http://www.imagebeast.net/images/84j...89u23w6ni0.jpg
    Logitech Precision, would never go back to a wired/PS2/X360 controller ever again unless it was a Cordless rumblepad 2 with vibration feedback. Even if you paid me to.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

SixAxis... that is, of course, if you have the PS3. It's too expensive by itself and not worth if you don't have the system.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

What Hiroko said. You will (probably) need to configure it in ffxipadconfig located in \Program Files\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI\ToolsUS. I used a converter for my ps2 controller for a year or more, and would definitely go wireless. I still do not know if softkey can still be used, but you can use a wireless keyboard and/or a really nice monitor and TV. Would use a cordless mouse but you can pretty much do everything from the keyboard <_<;

Home Theatre Aficionado
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Chuyu View Post
    What Hiroko said. You will (probably) need to configure it in ffxipadconfig located in \Program Files\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI\ToolsUS. I used a converter for my ps2 controller for a year or more, and would definitely go wireless. I still do not know if softkey can still be used, but you can use a wireless keyboard and/or a really nice monitor and TV. Would use a cordless mouse but you can pretty much do everything from the keyboard <_<;
    I don't play ffxi anymore.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Personally I use the PS3 controller with a bluetooth dongle to play games on the PC, including FFXI when I used to play. Might just be me, but I don't like playing with 3rd party controllers, I like the official console feel.

You can link it via bluetooth or wired USB. Bluetooth takes a little more time to setup, but worth it IMO. Might wanna check out these links if interested:

Wired via USB: forums.ps2dev.org :: View topic - SIXAXIS under Windows

Wireless via Bluetooth: Sixaxis works under Windows with Bluetooth - E-mpire Forums

BTW, both don't support 64 bit yet unless there's an update somewhere, haven't checked in a long while.

I know you're looking for a PS2 controller, but hope this helps anyway.

Home Theatre Aficionado
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by virusiidx View Post
    Personally I use the PS3 controller with a bluetooth dongle to play games on the PC, including FFXI when I used to play. Might just be me, but I don't like playing with 3rd party controllers, I like the official console feel.

You can link it via bluetooth or wired USB. Bluetooth takes a little more time to setup, but worth it IMO. Might wanna check out these links if interested:

Wired via USB: forums.ps2dev.org :: View topic - SIXAXIS under Windows

Wireless via Bluetooth: Sixaxis works under Windows with Bluetooth - E-mpire Forums

BTW, both don't support 64 bit yet unless there's an update somewhere, haven't checked in a long while.

I know you're looking for a PS2 controller, but hope this helps anyway.
    Cool, thanks for the info.

I have the logitech cordless rumblepad 2 and two things bother me with it.

1. Square joy sticks, wtf were they thinking?

2. On the back, the handles connect to the body of the controller in an uncomfortable way.. hard to explain

Other than that I guess it's ok, this is the only one I've ever used so I can't really compare it to anything else. I wish I got a PS3 controller instead though.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I bought a "Universal USB Convertor" by Gamemon at walmart for like $10 a long while back, the next time I went to walmart a few weeks later to buy another one cause it was so awesome, they no longer had it in stock

Has a ps1/ps2 slot, ganecube slot, I think an xbox slot? and 2 usb slots.. only ones I really use are the ps2 and gamecube.

I remember back when FFXI came out, before I bought my usb-->ps2 converter thing (it was a different model, bought it at radioshack, basically lasted me forever until it finally broke and i had to purchase the universal one i mentioned) I used to use those logitech wireless usb controllers, and they were SHIT

I would use them for like a week or two, then the stick thing w/e it was called would be tilted, so my char would randomly start walking on its own, was the most annoying thing ever, I went through so many of those things.

Jet fuel can't melt steel beams
    Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dweller

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zoner Hellscythe
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Here's the adapter to use a PS2 controller on PC
    PS2 To PC USB Dual Adapter - Clearance Items - ConsoleSource.com

But ya if you want to go wireless use the PS3 controller via bluetooth

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arathor

In the few years I played FFXi I went through about 6 Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2's. They're great when you first get them but damn they are flimsy as shit. I remember most of the people I spoke to who had them said that they had similar problems with down on the dpad and left analog stick too.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Jodwahh View Post
    In the few years I played FFXi I went through about 6 Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2's. They're great when you first get them but damn they are flimsy as shit. I remember most of the people I spoke to who had them said that they had similar problems with down on the dpad and left analog stick too.
    I've never had a problem with the analog sticks but I will admit I've wen't through many. I'm not blaming Logitech though since I've dropped them so many times on my own accord. My biggest issue with ANY controller, not just Logitechs. Is that the cushion pad which goes under the buttons usually wears out over time from claim spam, etc. Then the buttons just get stuck. I've even had this happen on official Sony D-shock II controllers so I know its not an isolated issue.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

^I've had my PS2 controller for like 7 years and played FFXI for 4, never had a problem w/ the buttons or anything. You probably have some bigass paws there, mate.

Anyway, 3rd party controllers are POSs. The SixAxis, DS3 henceforth, is pure perfection on the palm of your hands, oh and no need to use batteries either.

Home Theatre Aficionado
    BG Level

How easy would it be to bind the PS3 controllers to emulators?

Oh, also. Can you use 2 ps3 controllers at the same time? (for 2 player games)

Resident furfag
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Hiroko View Post
    http://www.imagebeast.net/images/l84...6ot93hwgec.jpg
    Logitech Precision, would never go back to a wired/PS2/X360 controller ever again unless it was a Cordless rumblepad 2 with vibration feedback. Even if you paid me to.
    I had one of these for the PS2, non-USB, it was awesome. Best controller I've ever used and only like $20.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by mootsfox View Post
    I had one of these for the PS2, non-USB, it was awesome. Best controller I've ever used and only like $20.
    yeah, got 4 of them at walmart on clearance awhile back for 10$ each new, was a steal lol

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

As already mentioned, the Logitech controllers are amazing. I also have one. Recently gave away one of my old wired units to a friend. The more modern variety and my SEGA Saturn pad-like Street Fighter controller, used with an adapter, are my go-to joypads.