Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

COR Subjob Options [1-75+]

Hello,

I'll be getting started on COR pretty soon, just wondering if any who have it 75+ has tips for me on what SJs are good for which situations/setups pre-endgame (exp or meripo, and level when applicable), and also what SJs are good end game (pls elaborate also on /whm, I've seen mention of it, but don't know much about COR to know 411 on this).

TIA

Sea Torques
    BG Level

/NIN for pulling in merit parties and extra dagger gives you 10+ r.acc
    /WAR or /RNG for pure damage, one has advantage over the other situationally
    /RDM for some support cure and QD
    /WHM for more support cure/status remove but you dont have any bonus for QD
    /SAM for 20TP/shot build but it isn't very effective for COR imo

Edit /DNC for campaign and some salvage runs.

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

/RNG for most good parties and most endgame.
    /NIN if you have low standards and don't mind pulling, or for difficult solos. Extra dagger is inferior to acc bonus.
    /WAR for merits, situationally.
    /DNC if you absolutely need the extra healing.

/RDM for soloing.
    /WHM for endgame events where you can't contribute significant damage and need the status cures, never in exp/merits.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kerberoz View Post
    /NIN if you have low standards and don't mind pulling, or for difficult solos. Extra dagger is inferior to acc bonus.
    This is NOT true, Trailer's Kukri x 2 > /RNG's Acc bonus.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by eva00r View Post
    This is NOT true, Trailer's Kukri x 2 > /RNG's Acc bonus.
    I would assume he was referring to Joy/Trailer's.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

One thing that /rng offers is a melee *and* racc boost, though, as well as Barrage + Sharpshot. But I am a bit biased as I had an M-kris from 50+...

I've been using cor/rng on merits. I like it quite a bit. Overall it's probably the best merit sub due to raising your melee acc by a substantial amount (11%). /war gives a significant attack boost, but it's also only up 60% of the time, and you will need to make up a lot of accuracy.

/war gives the best e-peen though ;p

Thanks for the great info guys. One more Q, the list seems to suggest for 75+, any feedback on certain level points. Like up to 30, 30-60, 60-75? I would think some subs are probably not applicable for certain caps?

Burninate all the things.
    BG Level

Before 75, you can switch on/off between /Nin and /Rng however you'd like. I'd avoid /War at these levels though, as your RAcc options are very limited that way.

/Rng is generally going to be superior to /Nin 30+, since you get access to some very nice toys (Gun Belt, Beater's Earring). But keep in mind, there are still people out there who think having a gun means you're able to pull, so having /Nin at least leveled is good.

Don't ever /Whm pre-75, ever (Did I mention ever?). And even at 75, only in places where you can't contribute to damage at all and need the extra healing (as mentioned above).

Once you hit 23 and get access to real Bullets, never stop using them. It's expensive as hell, but it gets the job done right. TP in them, and WS with Split Shot till Slug. I recommend Flounder Meuniere for this, if your server doesn't have a large supply of Eyeball soup. Keep TP'ing with bullets, upgrading the type as your level calls for it (I know, I know, it's hellishly expensive but it works) until you hit 70. From that point on, you can use a Joyeuse and Haste gear to gain TP considerably faster and save a ton of gil. I certainly never synced below 70 after I got there >.>'.

Now, it's worthwhile to note, once you get access to Slug Shot and fight Colibri, you may want to consider subbing NIN to some slower parties if only to keep yourself alive. When I leveled Cor, I ended up tanking a large chunk of the time, and /Rng just didn't have much to defend itself with. GL!

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

I'd actually recommend using gust slash/cyclone before slug. Early ranged WS just suck.

BG Level

Split's pretty lame, but it tends to do the same amount of damage as a normal shot at 100Tp. Which, at least for me, was more than Gust did xD. Basically a delay-less shot, for what it's worth =X

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Kerberoz View Post
    /RNG for most good parties and most endgame.
    /WAR for merits, situationally.
    /DNC if you absolutely need the extra healing.

/RDM for soloing.
    /WHM for endgame events where you can't contribute significant damage and need the status cures, never in exp/merits.

/DNC can help out quite a bit in merit parties. In bird parties Drain Samba makes the party go smooth, cure can help when the mage gets slept, and erase can help when wivres do attack down. On mamools times they like to spam firespit a little too much for their own good so having that secondary healer can help out the healer when they are low on MP.

Thanks again all. Greatgaurdian thanks for your post, it gives some great perspective and advice.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

From 22-70, you and your party will likely best be served by you being /RNG.

After 40, if you happen to be in a mana/ninjutsu burn type of party, /RDM might be interesting, but that's a rare case.

You shouldn't be pulling, really, but if you are the puller, /NIN with 2 RAcc daggers (bullets for TP will be best).

Post-70, I personally enjoyed /DNC a great deal. Drain Samba II, Healing Waltz, Divine Waltz, Accuracy Bonus I, Quick Step & Desperate Flourish are awesome additions. However, I would only endorse this option with a build that supports massive TP building (Cobra Unit gear & M. Kris/Joyeuse). This is the build I use:

FFXIGEAR.com

I have 4 dagger and 2 Marksmanship merits so far. If I had another job that was sword-dependent, I'd be using Joyeuse instead.

/WAR is for when you're close to finishing combat skill merits, have excellent gear for TP and WS, Detonator, etc. It's like a goal to be able to /WAR and contribute heavily to damage dealing (eating meat, etc.)

/WHM if you absolutely have to for events when you won't be shooting or using QD for damage.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

Why shouldn't CORs pull again?

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

I usually /NIN for Einherjar due to AoE and other nastiness. Dead DDs Don't Deal Damage, and all. I used to /NIN for city dynamis too, but honestly I do fine as /WAR or /RNG there...usually. Sometimes it can be an issue if a mob uses PD/Invincible and I smash it with a few QDs. For outlands...well, I have to go BLM.

I used /RNG from 22-75 in exp, even when I was pulling colibri or raptors or whatever. It worked out. I used it for a long time at 75 too, until I got Detonator and starting trying out /WAR on birds, which I'm liking. Still think I'd /RNG for mamool, though.

I go /WHM for stuff I'm just not going to shoot at, like Ouryu recently (I did take a few shots at him, and lulz). /RDM would do more damage, but...to be honest, even though I have /RDM now, after 4-5 years of BRD/WHM to almost every raid (and RDM at level 16), I never remember to try it, even when I don't need the utility spells of /WHM. Manaburn Limbus, Ix'DRG exp, etc. are all good times for /mage.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Because other jobs do it better. Corsair needs to use Phantom Roll when it is available to keep up 4 different rolls, which they can't do nearly as well if they aren't at camp.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I /sadface when COR refresh rolls I'm supposed to get while I'm away pulling...

BG Level

What Ulti said =X. I really hated having to pull in low level exp (before Quick draw), and then having my entire roll rotation thrown out of whack. That, or having to stop pull for 15 seconds so I could get rolls up before running off. It's just incredibly inefficient. Having an 840 delay RA (if not using a hexagun for whatever reason) sucks ass pulling too.

Even with quick draw, it's a pain in the ass to pull in normal exp, considering QD has JA range (16-17') while normal RA range is 25'. It makes you all the less likely to survive the pull

sciezka.

why hasnt anyone mentioned /blm for soloing and endgame QD???

BG Level

Even with Wlegs, I tend to stay /Nin while solo'ing if only for the safety factor. Slow and steady wins the yadda yadda.

For events, I prefer /Rdm over /Blm if the majority of my damage is going to be QD and there's any risk at all of me taking damage. /Rdm at least has Stoneskin/Phalanx/Cures, and MAB. /BLM has.. ES Drain to recover HP? I'd assume you're not going to want to use Dancer's roll /Blm. As a Whm too, I prefer my Cor being as self-sufficient as possible. Especially in the off-case that hell freezes over, shit hits the ceiling fan, and for some reason I have to kite a mob around.