Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Xbox360: "The game could not start."

So my XBox 360 got the red ring of death recently. I sent it in to get fixed, they sent me a replacement Xbox (note: it's no the original one I sent in). I go to start up my PlayOnline with the disc in the drive like I always do and get a message saying "the game could not start. Please download the game again."

So I go back to the xbox dashboard and do the "install to hard drive" option since I'm unable to actually load the PlayOnline DVD.

A few minutes later after the installation is complete, I go to run PlayOnline and get the "The game could not start. Please download the game again" message.

My question is, what do I have to do to get this to finally work again?

After I got the "the game could not start" message the second time around I deleted the game from my hard drive and tried starting the game up normally from the disc. I got the same error message.

NOTE: I put this in the Random Question Thread but no one responded to it.

{Refresh} {Cat}
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Emirii Mei
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Your best option would be to call POL tech support for the Xbox360 platform, they would probably be the most help.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Did you reinstall the game completely and check your disk for scratches/chips/etc?

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Elesar View Post
    So my XBox 360 got the red ring of death recently. I sent it in to get fixed, they sent me a replacement Xbox (note: it's no the original one I sent in). I go to start up my PlayOnline with the disc in the drive like I always do and get a message saying "the game could not start. Please download the game again."

So I go back to the xbox dashboard and do the "install to hard drive" option since I'm unable to actually load the PlayOnline DVD.

A few minutes later after the installation is complete, I go to run PlayOnline and get the "The game could not start. Please download the game again" message.

My question is, what do I have to do to get this to finally work again?

After I got the "the game could not start" message the second time around I deleted the game from my hard drive and tried starting the game up normally from the disc. I got the same error message.

NOTE: I put this in the Random Question Thread but no one responded to it.
    I had this problem recently too, but installing to hard drive did it for me. Playonline would show up where it tells me what game I had in the drive but when I chose to load it it would give me "this game cannot run, may have scratches. Please clean and restart your Xbox." I'd try reinstalling it to the hard drive if you haven't already or maybe borrowing a friend's 360 copy if you have one.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I believe the install to harddrive option just copies the disc image to your harddrive so the DVD isn't constantly spinning when you play. Did you actually install FFXI?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yeah, I had it originally installed on my harddrive before I got the system back. When I went to boot up playonline from my dvd it gave me the error message. I then deleted the game from my hard drive and installed (via xbox dashboard installation) again. When I went to boot up the game after the installation I got the error message again. So I deleted the game and installed again. Error message.

I'm also unable to try and install PlayOnline from the disc or from my Wings of the Goddess expansion disc because I get this error message the moment I try to start up PlayOnline. It doesn't even go into playonline. It goes to a black screen and then I get a blue box with the error message on the 360 dashboard.

i had this also from when my xbox died i had to format my whole HDD then re instal ffxi pol etc back on it.

i rang up xbox and that was the only option the could give me after looking into everything they had there. sadly this will make you lose all your gamertag/saved games etc on teh HDD so best to save those on a memory card.

i belive all this crapola started with a update of the 360 dashboard last year then the jan update on pol/ffxi, thats when i had the issue with mine, i had to format the hard drives on both my 360's both were having teh same issue and mircosoft couldnt fix it and all they could sugest was a total format with a full fresh update and install.

*edit> i couldnt uninstall the ffxi on my hdd nor could xbox find teh file/folder on my hdd for some reason they didnt exist, once you put the disc in it just poped up with a dashboard window game unable to start*

took a age to do but it worked afterwards, hope it helps somewhat

Hog

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I just recently got FFXI for my 360 so I can play in the living room, and I got similar errors after installing and patching. Tried messing around with it to no avail, only thing that fixed it for me was full format and reinstall.

found a pic what it said to me when i put the disc in or tryed to play the game, was unable to d/l the game again because i couldnt acsess pol to uninstall or download couldnt read disc to install either...

catch 22 only option was full format of hdd to remove the pol/ffxi from my HDD. on phone to xbox they tryed to reset my cache memory by doing some button combo turning machine off unpluging everthing etc etc all usualy crap they sent the problem to thier technical side and after 5 days i got a phone call back from them telling me to just format my HDD as that was the only thing they could find which solved this issue.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...g/DSC00519.jpg

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

So much hassle for just 1 game Thank you all for replying. Now I need to find someone willing to lend me a memory card for temporary use.