BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Putting multiple accounts on one Token to gain satchel access.

As mentioned in the title. I have a secondary account that was given to me by a friend (quit the game) and I commonly use his account for power leveling, outside merit cures, etc. I also have a friend up the road that just started playing. But neither him or I have the money right now to waste on getting more Tokens.

So I'm wondering can I link all 3 of our POL ID's to this token. Get the access, then disable the token and smash it with a hammer? Neither him or I want to use the tokens security feature.

I've seen it talked about here (I think in Izzy's thread in advanced). But I just wanted to be 100% sure it works this way before causing a problem with my token.

sort of putting all your eggs in the same basket..if you cancel your SE account then all 3 accounts would get nuked, and all 3 (or two) of you would have to use the same login, kinda hedging your bets on one person not going postal and fucking everyone :z I wouldn't do it, but thats just me..its $10, skip a meal <_<

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Buckethead View Post
    sort of putting all your eggs in the same basket..if you cancel your SE account then all 3 accounts would get nuked, and all 3 (or two) of you would have to use the same login, kinda hedging your bets on one person not going postal and fucking everyone :z I wouldn't do it, but thats just me..its $10, skip a meal <_<
    I know if all the ID's are one one account. They all will have to use that Token to login with the one-time code. But if I cancel the account since the token is useless once everyone gets satchel access. Won't everything revert to the old way?

By that I mean everyone just uses the old POL/Non-token login path.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

OP: You can safely do that with no problems. However, should you want to again have a security token for any of those accounts, you must purchase a new token and register it to those accounts.

It still remains to be known if your satchel will grow in sync with your inventory should your token become disabled. I speculate that your satchel will grow in sync with your inventory with a disabled token.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

My impression was that cancelling the SE acct will cancel all the linked POL accounts as well.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

afaik once you link a POL account to a SE account, it's linked forever. Everyone would share the same login details, token or not on it.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by hagun View Post
    OP: You can safely do that with no problems. However, should you want to again have a security token for any of those accounts, you must purchase a new token and register it to those accounts.
    Awesome, as mentioned the security feature is nice. But It highly does not meet my needs. As for my friend, if one day he can scramble some cash together. Then I suppose he can order a new one.

It still remains to be known if your satchel will grow in sync with your inventory should your token become disabled. I speculate that your satchel will grow in sync with your inventory with a disabled token.
    Thats understandable. Mainly because noone wants to risk and be the sheep of the problem if it really exists. I suppose it will automatically upgrade even after deactivation. If it didn't, I'm sure SE would have just another shit storm to fix.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Also, even if you disable the token, your SE account will still be attached to your Playonline account. So you will always have to type or input your SE password. It's a sad shame we can't save our SE password like we can for our Playonline password. It's a shame and a pain really.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Also, even if you disable the token, your SE account will still be attached to your Playonline account. So you will always have to type or input your SE password. It's a sad shame we can't save our SE password like we can for our Playonline password. It's a shame and a pain really.
    Oh wow, thats horribly retarded. I figured it would revert back to the old system of just POL/non-SE login.

Telliani

Yup.. I've got two seperate accounts (mine and my husbands) and we both have satchels, as well as our mules.

Dunno why people aren't just keeping it linked. It takes me a whopping 5 more seconds to log in now. But I don't have to worry about the whole linked password thing, since... I... Kind of know where my husband lives >_> I have my account set up to where I still need to log in, THEN Put in the password. Maybe do that if you worry a bit about the linked passwords for the password/random number password

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Valyana View Post
    My impression was that cancelling the SE acct will cancel all the linked POL accounts as well.

From my understanding, you can't cancel your SE account.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meilin Kikkano
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

The satchels do grow with your inventory, so you can hook a few people up and deactivate it.

I don't think you can cancel/unhook from the SE account. It really sucks when I'm in a rush to get on multiple accounts, but, whatever, security.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I wonder: is it possible to individually disable accounts linked to a token instead of disabling the token itself from an SE account?

EDIT: Just logged to my SE account and looked around. It is not possible to individually unlink a POL account from an SE account. However, you can cancel an SE account. So I would speculate that it's possible to revert to just logging on with just you POL ID and password. So you would not need to input an SE password when you want to log on. However, I'm not sure if cancelling your SE account would have an adverse effect on your satchel.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Do NOT cancel your SE account, someone tried already, you won't be able to log in anymore and you'll have to call SE and ask them to reactivate it.
    Since the security token is linked to the SE account there's no way to selectively enable/disable it for the POL IDs under that account, it is either active or not.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

My token is shared between 3 people on 4 accounts, and yea you cant unlink it once they are linked, and if you cancel it gives you a big warning about the accounts becoming unusable.You must always enter the password you created with the SE account, which was annoying at first, but after a week not such a big deal. The only downside is that if one of us gets key logged the perpetrator can log into the SE account website and delete it, resulting in all 4 accounts getting owned. But since someone has already deleted their own and it only took a call into SE to fix it I don't see this becoming a problem.

Edit: Side thought, I wonder what happens if one person linked gets banned, do they all?

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I would assume that bans can be applied to all accounts on the same SE account, since using an SE account for multiple POL accounts implies that you are one person having multiple accounts. The rules state one person per PlayOnline account and one persone per SE account, so you make it easier to get banned if you share an SE account, byu misbehaviour like the recent LM-17 issues, and by hijacked accounts.

By sharing an SE account, you make your account LESS secure, which is the opposite of the intent of the system. SE accounts are pointless without a token, as you open yourself up to more opportunities for keylogging. You shouldn't want to have an account linked to an SE ID without having a token on the account, as you MUST input your password on every login, making it easier to log. POL IDs can be saved, so you don't have to input them via any method. Linking an SE account is permanent, so it is undesirable to unlink a token after setting up one.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I wonder: is it possible to individually disable accounts linked to a token instead of disabling the token itself from an SE account?

EDIT: Just logged to my SE account and looked around. It is not possible to individually unlink a POL account from an SE account. However, you can cancel an SE account. So I would speculate that it's possible to revert to just logging on with just you POL ID and password. So you would not need to input an SE password when you want to log on. However, I'm not sure if cancelling your SE account would have an adverse effect on your satchel.
    Cancelling the SE account cancels your PlayOnline accounts. SE can restore them, but they have to restore the SE account to do so. The link is PERMANENT, which they warn you of when you navigate to the page to link them. What part of PERMANENT do you not understand? They mean it, it cannot and will not be undone by them.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

This is forced security. Even if someone has physical access to your security token and computer (while you are asleep, for example) AND you don't use a Windows password to protect your computer, they still can't hack your account because they don't know your SE password.

I know it seems silly that you don't have the option to store your SE password, but this is just SE really forcing you to secure your account whether you want to or not. You would have to give out your password in order to get hacked.