+ Reply to Thread
    ulation. AKA: The Pickle!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

USB Device not recognizing

I have a PC that was giving me problems with the usb not working. So, I ended up formatting it last night. Got back into it today and was going to load drivers and crap. The usb devices still aren't working and I'm not sure why? I read a few forums and tried everything I ran across.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

When you say you "read a few forums," can you mention some of the noteworthy things you tried?

I would suggest opening the machine and making sure the USB port cabling is correctly plugged into the motherboard, for starters. Aside from that, are you sure the USB drivers you're installing are for your chipset?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

are you using the ports in the back that are attached to the board, or are you using some other ports like on the side/front?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

Yea, I should of been a little more specific. I'm using the usb ports that are on the motherboard itself. The ones in the back where the ps2 ports, ethernet, etc... I got the drivers straight from MSI's website.

All the forums I read basically were talking about laptops with this issue. The fix was to kill all power to the laptop. I tried it anyways, didn't think it would work. I can't figure out what's causing this?

Resident furfag
    BG Level

You shouldn't need drivers at all to have USB support. You may need drivers to get USB 2.0 support under XP without SP2. Vista and beyond all have USB2.0 support built in.

It almost sounds like a BIOS issue to me, do you have any options in there to mess with the USB ports?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

I've turned everything in the BIOS that has anything to do with USB on just to be sure. The OS is XP Pro SP3, so....

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

by the way, what exactly are you trying to connect. if its just a standard usb mouse/keyboard thats one thing, but ive seen some ipods not be recognized in certain pcs until you tweak it.

check device manager , are you getting "Unknown device"? or are you not even getting an indication that anything is there.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

I've tried to connect a series of thing. The first problem I had was my printer just stopped working. I just came in and tried to print something and it wouldn't work. Then after that happened it sporadically would work. About a hour later it stopped working all together.

Now I've tried plugging in pen drives, usb to ethernet, and my printer. All the ports are infact working because they give me an error when I try to hook something usb up. The problem is the PC will not take any drivers for anything usb, mainly just the printer. My pen drive shouldn't have to have drivers I know. Not on XP Pro anyways.

I'm just not sure why it was working fine, then al of a sudden stopped. That's originally the reason I tried reloading it. Thought maybe it's got a retarded virus, let's just start over. Since most of my info is stored on my server I just reloaded it. It wasn't working before and isn't working now either

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

are you getting "a problem has occured. your device may not work properly?" or something to that effect.

does it say "unknown device" in device manager?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

I'm getting a "This device can not be recognized" message. It ended up being the motherboard though. The usb ports on it just went out. I've been working on PC's for a long time and this is the first time I've ever seen this issue. Oh well, it's been replaced.