Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Question about Elemental Resists on gear

Just a quick question. Let us say I am wearing Crimson Feet and Crimson Legs. If I get hit with a Magical attack that has a property of Fire there is a chance that the damage will be reduced by 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 or 1/16 to a greater extent than if I did not have the elemental resist armor this is correct no?

And in addition to that, if the Magical attack is just Magical with no elemental property (Inertia Stream, etc.) Would having elemental resistance gear lower the time that the additional effect lasts on me or negate it completely?

Forgive for asking this I have just never really understood elemental resists on additional effects.

Interesting question. I always understood the elemental resistances on gear to lower the damage taken from it rather than half/fourth/eighth resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Antithesis G View Post
    Just a quick question. Let us say I am wearing Crimson Feet and Crimson Legs. If I get hit with a Magical attack that has a property of Fire there is a chance that the damage will be reduced by 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 or 1/16 to a greater extent than if I did not have the elemental resist armor this is correct no?

And in addition to that, if the Magical attack is just Magical with no elemental property (Inertia Stream, etc.) Would having elemental resistance gear lower the time that the additional effect lasts on me or negate it completely?
    1) Yep, or possibly being resisted altogether.

2) I'm not sure on this, but I would think so. Having a respective +element helps with resisting enfeebles of that element (e.g. +aero for silence). In your case, +blizzard for Inertia Stream's bind I would think work.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

If the attack has no elemental affinity, elemental resistance gear will have no effect. But I don't think that applies to Inertia Stream; I would expect it to be ice elemental, in which case stacking ice resistance should improve your chances to half or full resist the bind effect.

Well the thing is Inertia Stream just says that it is Magical damage with an additional effect of Bind.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teia Rabishu
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Far as I know, you have an innate "skill" (C-ranked or something) in elemental resists that auto-caps as you level, and elemental resists on gear simply add to it. There's no flat damage reduction a la Phalanx. Having a higher resist simply means better chances at 1/2 1/4 1/8 etc.

TSwiftie
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Forgive for asking this I have just never really understood elemental resists on additional effects.
    Yes to both~ Anyone who has messed around /w an elemental+ build while tanking a Wyrm can attest to this. Using a Fire Resist on Tiamat will not only increase the chances on resisting his fire based attacks and magic, but also help you in resisting the virus effect from wing. (This also works for Ouryu and slow.)

The best anology for elemental resistance is 'Magic Evasion.' Increasing Mg Acc will not improve the damage of your spells, similar to how increasing your elemental resistance won't reduce damage taken. They are the main factors in resist rate though which help your damage output/taken.

The native C-Skill elemental resistance is the easiest way to think about our natural resistance to magic and debuffs from lower level mobs, but it could also be a straight level correlation to. Whichever way you view it doesn't matter, as long as you understand the idea behind it.

I'm not 100% sure on the following, but from my years of experience, native resist traits work differently. They give a small chance to resisting the debuff entirely (which shows up in log differently.) Mg Acc/Resistance+ does not affect this. I believe this applies for Bar-debuff spells also. Stacking Native Resist Traits /w Bar-debuff, and eq /w the Resist Trait will increase the chances of you resisting the debuff entirely. It will not increase the chance of resisted duration, or be helped by Ele Resistance+ gear/magic.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Well the thing is Inertia Stream just says that it is Magical damage with an additional effect of Bind.
    That means that its element hasn't been determined, which is different from it being non-elemental.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rith Ridan
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Azjol-Nerub

What effect would stacking elemental resistance have on resisting element specific damage? Is it cumulative in the sense that every 1 point of elemental resistance helps a little or is it tiered in the sense that every [x] points of elemental resistance breaks a certain tier (1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, full)?

Quote Originally Posted by rithridan View Post
    What effect would stacking elemental resistance have on resisting element specific damage? Is it cumulative in the sense that every 1 point of elemental resistance helps a little or is it tiered in the sense that every [x] points of elemental resistance breaks a certain tier (1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, full)?

All evidence points to a tier system, but remember, elemental resists builds are usually either all or nothing. Don't worry about tiers. The magic number to shoot for is 300+ on your typical lvl 80+ HNM's (150 from gear, the other 150 comming from bar/carrol).

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Resists are tiered, but the resistance stat is cumulative. Each point increases your "magic evasion" against spells of that element, which is compared to the mob's magic accuracy to determine your chance of resisting. You get the lower resists by making your resist roll multiple times: if you make the first roll but then fail the second roll, you get a 1/2 resist. If you make two resist rolls and fail the third, you get a 1/4 resist, etc. So you want your resistance as close to the cap as possible; if you have an 80% chance of resisting once, that's only a 40% chance of getting a 1/16 resist.