+ Reply to Thread

GTX280 + WoW - PC Shuts Down

OK so, I just installed an Nvidia GTX280 and whenever i open WoW my PC shuts down. I can do anything else with no problems, but as soon as WoW loads me into Dalaran, it shuts off. I tried changing the video settings at the log in screen before i log in and as soon as i hit the effects tab it shuts down.

Config:
    Win XP Home 32bit
    ASUS P5N-T Deluxe Motherboard
    Intel Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
    4 gigs Corsair Dominator Ram
    Nvidia GeForce GTX280
    Okia 650-ATX PSU

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

When you say "anything else," have you tried running other 3D applications?

Well i can load up FFXI with 0 problems, but outside that and WoW, I don't do much else.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

FilePlanet: Free PC Games, Downloads, Mods, Demos, Patches & Maps

Try downloading some fairly recent game demos (since FFXI is definitely aged), and try running them full tilt. See how it goes.

Well I took your advice and downloaded Delta Force Xtreme 2 BETA and as the scenario was loading bam, pc shuts down. after some investigating, Okia is not too decent of a brand PSU. Think I may try and replace it tomorrow unless anyone has a suggestion otherwise..

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

We definitely do know now that WoW isn't the problem, so that's nice.

Do you have another PSU lying around? I'm going to assume you do, since you made the suggestion, and that's fortunate. Trying another PSU is not a bad idea. Before we really get into the hardware, though, it's easier (and smarter) to try troubleshooting the software further.

Have you tried doing a clean uninstall of your current drivers, and using another set (either older or newer)? Did you also uninstall everything related to your previous graphics card before putting the new one in?

To do all of this, use the following program:

Driver Cleaner Pro v1.5 (freeware)

Run it, and follow the Help file's Readme instructions for removal.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Did this problem occur with the previous video card ever? You could try swapping in the old card again and see if happens, that way you can narrow it down to or eliminate the new video card as the problem. I've gotten several video cards that were faulty so it's possible.

For the meantime, i installed the old video card and the pc is fine. Was also having a problem with the PC locking up which was resolved by removing a usb device that wasn't operating properly.

As for the drivers; i haven't uninstalled any drivers. I'm gonna go ahead and try the removal tool suggested and re-install new drivers and try it.

I will post my results.

As for the PSU, the only one i have atm is a 500w off name brand from my previous pc. If it is still shutting down i'm just gonna go to Best Buy and get the Antec 650w.

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

When I first read the OP, the first thing I thought was that it's the PSU's fault. If the driver change doesn't fix it, go to a local computer store, buy a reputable brand PSU that has enough juice to power the 280 and test it. Most places have at least a 7-day return policy, so should it turn out to not be the PSU you can get your money back.

Resident furfag
    BG Level

It's the PSU. A 8800GTX draws like 150w full load. WoW uses the GPU, FFXI is almost solely CPU based.

Buy a new PSU. Or better yet, post a price and someone will link you to a good one.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

We put a new PSU in the pc and instead of the PC shutting off completely it just locks up >.< we've uninstalled and reinstalled drivers and have no idea why its just locking up, any ideas?

Resident furfag
    BG Level

What PSU?

By new PSU, did you get one that can actually handle a more top element card load? Does the computer work fine in safe mode? Tried running it through a stress test? The latter will really help in diagnosing if your problem is located in the video card or the PSU.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

the PSU is a Antec 650Watt. We place the old video card back in the PC and its still locking up. Sometimes doesnt even get past the start up before it locks up. He tried updating the motherboard bios too and its still locking up >.<

*he's thinking the motherboard is messed up. Would having it plugged into a wall socket that isnt grounded mess with the motherboard?

My plan is to try a new Motherboard tomorrow and if that doesnt work im gonna toss this POS out the window. lol