• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread

Building a PC, need advice on processor :3

So I browsed a ton of the other threads, and the general concensus is that FFXI is more CPU intensive than GPU. I'm going to be building a computer, and it seems the ATI HD 4850/70 is a really great video card. I'd also like to be able to run some modern games like Fallout, crysis, etc.. Seems like this card is a good choice for FFXI.

My question is, what kind of processor should I get? I'd like to steer clear of Intel, because I see a lot of people are having issues with Intel + FFXI. I would also like to be able to run FFXI smoothly at max settings and I'd like to be able to dual-box. Dual-core seems the best, but will having a dual-core processor hinder FFXI at all? If not, what's a nice processor to get?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

And they're spectacular!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitzy Mystfire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I've been running FFXI flawlessly on a CPU/GPU combo of E8400/HD4850 on XP 32bit.

Forum Donator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I've been running Intel chips on a myraid of setups with no issues at all. Everything from Duo to Quad cores.

and HI BOOBS!

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Issues with Intel + FFXI??? That's nonsense.. would love to know who's saying that.

At the moment there's a major question to ask when building a new PC - how far do you want to be able to upgrade your machine? The reason for this is because of a large shift in technology that's currently happening in CPUs, namely the Athlon, Phenom & Core 2 lines are ending.

Replacing them are the Phenom II, Core i7, and the soon-to-be-released Core i5 (there may be an Athlon rep coming, I don't know yet). With them comes a new memory standard and an almost-mandatory need for a 64-bit OS. So the paths for building right now are a bit tricky..

- Build a system with an AM3-based motherboard Athlon or Phenom proc, and upgrade later to Phenom II.. and possibly new memory.
    - Build a system on Core i7 and upgrade to a faster Core i7 later..
    - Build a system on Core 2 Duo or Quad, knowing that later you'll need a new mobo, CPU and memory.

2600klub

Loves tits more than you

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I have FFXI no problems running FFXI except my driver issue but thats the video cards fault, I have a Q9300 + HD 4850, I think my video card drivers just need updating

Quote Originally Posted by Olo401 View Post
    At the moment there's a major question to ask when building a new PC - how far do you want to be able to upgrade your machine?
    Having the most updated machinery isn't really a concern for me. I just mainly want to play FFXI on it and not have FPS issues. Being able to play Fallout is an added bonus.

As far as price range goes, I'm looking into spending 500-800 max on building one, which shouldn't be that hard to do looking at the prices.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by VyseyOfSeraph View Post
    Having the most updated machinery isn't really a concern for me. I just mainly want to play FFXI on it and not have FPS issues. Being able to play Fallout is an added bonus.

As far as price range goes, I'm looking into spending 500-800 max on building one, which shouldn't be that hard to do looking at the prices.
    p45 board + e8400 + 4850 = run any game out right now, and ffxi at 29FPS 98% of the time.

edit: note I said it would play any game now... I didn't say anything about max settings, but you'll easily be satisfied.

2600klub

Loves tits more than you

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by VyseyOfSeraph View Post

I brought everything from newegg, most of my stuff was onsale that i wanted to, I picked them out like a week before and SOME FUCKING HOW newegg had a sale after, so i brought em, I hate newegg for that, they always have fucking sales when think about buying something and it's on that list, they just tempt me more...

Thank you for all input so far.

There's only one concern I have. I did a few searches on the HD 4850 and I came across this:

AMD Game Forums - Final Fantasy XI + HD4850

Summarizing it, whenever a model (NPC, PC, mob. etc..) loaded, he'd lag for a second or two and then it would be back to normal. Is this anything to be concerned about? Or is it something else on his spec list that's causing it to do that?

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I have and ASUS 4850 TOP OC model and I never have any issues 29+ FPS everywhere. FYI Processor E8400

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

From what I can tell at that link, there's a couple issues that could be bottlenecking his performance.. system memory (if he has a 1GB card) or his mobo chipset look to be the ones that stick out. He's also running some pretty old drivers there (Catalyst 8.5, which is old even for Oct 08 when he posted).

There's a few of us here running 4850s or 4870s at high settings without a problem. Only trouble I've had was some recent heat issues that caused some lightning-type artifacts to show up.. need to replace the factory thermal crap with something better.

Another question for you tech savvy people. :D

So I looked at another BG thread and a lot of people seem to like 8400e + HD 3870/4870. Seems like a good combination.

My question is, in terms of ffxi performance which would do better? 3870x2, 2 3870 using crossfirex, or 4870? I'm guessing there probably isn't much of a difference in performance, but I'd like to make sure.

Thanks for all suggestions.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

In all honesty a crossfire/sli setup or x2 card is only necessary for bling factor or if you're doing something that specifically needs that much processing power (such as folding @ home). For straight gaming your money is best spent on the best single-die graphics card you can get (either the GeForce GTX 285 or Radeon HD 4890).

And for FFXI you'll get more benefit from a faster/more efficient processor (not necessarily quad vs. dual-core either, since FFXI doesn't take advantage of multiple cores). That's why the E8400 is so popular - it's an efficient, fast CPU at a reasonable price, and it overclocks very well if you're into that kinda thing.

2600klub

Loves tits more than you

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    I have and ASUS 4850 TOP OC model and I never have any issues 29+ FPS everywhere. FYI Processor E8400
    I have that same card.

Resident furfag
    BG Level

I've got the Q6600 and at 3.6GHz (the E8400 can go to 4-4.6ghz) it did around 11k in the benchmark on high settings. Video card doesn't matter at all, but some of the 8-serious from nvidia cause problems.