Closed Thread
Page 1 of 751 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Game of Thrones (TV talk) (CLEARLY MARK AND TAG BOOK SPOILERS IF YOU POST THEM) (READ FIRST POST)

Mod Edit:
    Seriously. Take the book spoilers out of here. Stop ruining shit for good people.
    Here's where you need to go:
    --------> OMG BOOKS THIS WAY ------> http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/103...ook-discussion) <--------- BOOK DISCUSSION
    Take your book discussion/spoilers there.
    THIS IS THE TV TALK ONLY THREAD. STILL MARK YOUR EARLY SPOILERS.

Don't come crying to the mods when everyone jumps on your ass for posting book spoilers here.

So I know there was a thread announcing that HBO purchased the rights to George RR Martin's series, but recently GRRM has been letting some more information out.

First off, HBO green lit the production a few months ago for a pilot episode.
    Recently they've selected the locale for filming.
    And now the pilot's director and first cast member are known.

At last it can be told.

The news has finally been made public, so I'm finally free to whoop and holler and share the great news -- the HBO pilot of A GAME OF THRONES will start filming in October, in Northern Ireland. The announcement was made in Belfast. Here you go:

21 April 2009 - HBO to film TV pilot in Northern Ireland | Northern Ireland Executive

Yes, I'm thrilled. Ireland should be a great place to film. And the facility we'll be using, the Paint Hall, is amazing as well:

Northern Ireland Screen - Studio Facility/The Paint Hall

Before it was a film studio, the Paint Hall was part of Belfast's famous Harland & Wolff Shipyards, where the TITANIC and many other ships were constructed. The facility is pretty titanic as well. Of course, all of us connected with A GAME OF THRONES are hoping we'll fare somewhat better on our own maiden voyage.

Yes, Parris and I will be going over to Ireland this fall to see at least part of the filming. Not for the whole shoot, alas, I don't have time for that... but we have to be there for at least part of it. Maybe we'll see some of you in a Belfast pub.

There's lots of other exciting news on the pilot as well, but nothing I can share. Sorry, lips are sealed. You'll have to wait for Mr. Benioff and Mr. Weiss... and HBO.

Well, the first two beans, anyway. There will be many more beans to come.

But HBO has signed a director for the GAME OF THRONES pilot, and the first cast member has come aboard as well.

The pilot will be helmed by Tom McCarthy, director of THE VISITOR and THE STATION AGENT.

And playing Tyrion Lannister will be Peter Dinklage, who was almost everyone's "dream casting" for the role (he certainly was mine):
    http://pics.livejournal.com/grrm/pic/0004gbgk

You can read more details in THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER, which broke the news this morning:
    Two will play HBO's 'Game'

I'm thrilled.

Things are starting to move a lot faster now. The rest of the year is going to be exciting!

blax n gunz
    BG Level

I guess I should hit up the library for this series. Getting tired of reading nonfiction after all.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I can't wait for this. Psyched to find out which other actors get the call. Will be even more psyched if the next book actually comes out this year.

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

I wonder if they'll make that guy up for the role of Tyrion. I haven't read the books in years but I recall Tyrion's ugliness being a big part of his character.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Wow, I'm definitely excited for this. I was wondering when more news on this would come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Deftscythe View Post
    I wonder if they'll make that guy up for the role of Tyrion. I haven't read the books in years but I recall Tyrion's ugliness being a big part of his character.
    They probably will, at least I hope they do. His eyes in particular should have some detail to match the character at the least imo.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I hope this is good, more importantly I hope it won't get canceled after the first three episodes.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

I've only read the first book but man, it was really damn good. Only other thing I can say is they better have a long line of actors ready for the mass deaths this dude brings to his characters...

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

You guys will need to watch this on the tele to start to show support... then you can go about your normal torrenting needs.

And I agree that GRRM needs to release the next book. I remember reading that it was supposed to release some time in late 07, then the next thing we see is the year and a half old message on his website that he'll update next when it's finished and not before... Oh yeah, it's a year and a half old. Needs to be finished

We built this city

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

He'll wait until he contracts some terminal disease to make an earnest attempt at finishing the series, and then die with the last book undone. It's how fantasy series go.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Patience is all we need, just like with the books. It will be fun to see some of my favourite fictional characters on the tv screen (Tyrion, The Hound, Littlefinger, Arya) and I can wait another year or two as long as they keep up with books quality.

I have read that they are making some characters older for tv needs, I would certainly want Daenerys to more than 14 years old :D

I think it'll be a good series, but what I like the most about the books is the back story between the houses/families. I think it'll be tough to relay things like Florian, the Kingswood Brotherhood, etc. Not that those are vital to the story, but they enhance things like the Dontos/Sansa arc.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

They'd better get the right people for Eddard and Jon. Didn't we have a dream cast list floating around somewhere here?

Fuck yes Peter Dinklage! Can't wait to see who the rest of the cast will be.

aduidarnenye

The books started out excellent. The first two are extremely well written and very exciting. The third was okay. The fourth was awful. He completely lost track of the plot and started meandering all over the place just like Jordan. I hope he brings it back together for the fifth, if it ever gets finished.

I doubt this kind of show will be popular. That 'Legend of the Seeker' show, which is basically the same genre, is awful.

Cardiac Cat
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airlea Ocelot
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

Legend of the Seeker is also on normal cable. This should be a lot higher quality being on HBO. And thank fucking god. The series is way too dark for some cute, clean version.

I'm extremely excited...and extremely nervous. They have a lot to live up and I'll be so fucking angry if it ends up like Legend of the Seeker. God that series is fucking horrible.

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    I hope this is good, more importantly I hope it won't get canceled after the first three episodes.
    HBO doesnt cancel shows after 3 episodes, they buy shit 1 season at a time, and Rome got like 2 seasons and it was pure shit? This should be fine..

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by ZarakiKujata View Post
    HBO doesnt cancel shows after 3 episodes, they buy shit 1 season at a time, and Rome got like 2 seasons and it was pure shit? This should be fine..
    never had HBO, so good news for that

HBO has had some fantastic series, so I don't doubt they'll do a good job here.

The Wire, Deadwood, Rome.

We built this city

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Penthesilea View Post
    HBO has had some fantastic series, so I don't doubt they'll do a good job here.

The Wire, Deadwood, Rome.
    Bitches don't know 'bout my Carnivale.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Can't forget about Six Feet Under, which I'm marathoning after picking up the complete series on amazon for 59.99.

Sad that they have to change character ages but makes sense with SO many young main characters. What is it? Robb, Jon, Bran, Arya, Sansa, Dany, Joffry, etc. I mean some HAVE to stay young but others can be older like Robb, Sansa, Dany, Joffy, Jon. I hope they cast a hot Dany and Sanda.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 751 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast