BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

New Computer Build (Another one)

So yeah. I keep stealing people's threads with my random questions of "Do you think I should do this, etc".. so I'm making my own. I've talked to a couple people on here about random subjects involving my possibilities, so I figure I'll make it an open thread and see what you guys think. So far, this is what I'm going to go with. It was originally going to be a 450$-500$ budget machine, but it's opened up a bit. :/ Curse newer things.

Case: Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Mobo: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

CPU: Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor - Processors - Desktops

Vidya Card: Newegg.com - XFX HD-477A-YDLC Radeon HD 4770 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Power Supply: Newegg.com - Antec earthwatts EA500 500W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.0 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

RAM: Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Hard Drive: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

CD/DVD Burner: Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

Now, I know I could go with the 640GB HDD of the same kind, probably for 10 bucks more, so it's on my little created Wishlist on Newegg. Depends on if I have more cash by then, or if other stuff drops.

Any thoughts? Advice? Suggestions? That's all appreciated. Thanks a ton.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Olo401 View Post
    I was looking at that and the GIGABYTE version (that's also priced the same), but the other one was AM3 only. Is this ASUS AM3 only? Because then I'd have to go with an AM3 CPU and DDR3 RAM instead of the cheapter AM2+/DDR2 route. D:

Edit: Read the reviews and yeah; if I went the ASUS route, I'd have to go the entire AM3/DDR3 route as well, and that'd add a good share of cash to what I'd spend.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

There's no such thing as AM3 only. All AM3 boards are backwards-compatible to AM2/AM2+.. AMD deliberately designs the socket and chipset that way as a selling point over Intel-based systems.

However if you got one of the new AM3 Phenom IIs you would have to use DDR3 memory, just like the Core i7 requires it.

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Olo401 View Post
    There's no such thing as AM3 only. All AM3 boards are backwards-compatible to AM2/AM2+.. AMD deliberately designs the socket and chipset that way as a selling point over Intel-based systems.

However if you got one of the new AM3 Phenom IIs you would have to use DDR3 memory, just like the Core i7 requires it.
    No.. I hate asking for advice and then have to correct people, but AMD doesn't work that way. AM2+ boards do work with AM3 chipsets, but AM3 boards are not backwards compatible with AM2+ chipsets. I also read some of the reviews where the ASUS Tech Support came in and pointed that out. Now maybe it's the Phenom II 920/940 newer AM2+, but that'd be what I wanted to get anyway. D:

Edit: Actually, I think you said that.. what with the DDR3 Memory needed. But yeah, if I wanted to go AM3, but with the X4 940.. they don't work together sadly.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Not sure on the differences with the mobo board brands but this combo cpu+mobo deal might be something to look at if it saves any money: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Ah. Yeah, I've seen that one actually. Thanks a ton. When the day finally comes that I order stuff, I'll definitely check out combos first to save any money I can. :D

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Akiyama, looks good. Btw that Asus mobo he posted was the one I was talking about in the other thread. It's funny, mine started out as a budget system too <$600, but when I decided to go the AM3 path it ended up being ~$900. :\

I checked other RAM and HD options for you, saw they were good, and gave up checking the other components. The only thing is, for me, 500W makes me kind of nervous, if you were to spend an extra $10-$30 I'd spend it on a PS upgrade. In my experience parts always seem to use more power than not, but I could just be overshooting it. What did you use to determine the 500w capacity (online app, added up wattage ratings, etc.)?

Edit: I recommend this one, $70 after rebate (+$0), 650w and modular: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817812005

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Faye View Post
    Akiyama, looks good. Btw that Asus mobo he posted was the one I was talking about in the other thread. It's funny, mine started out as a budget system too <$600, but when I decided to go the AM3 path it ended up being ~$900. :\

I checked other RAM and HD options for you, saw they were good, and gave up checking the other components. The only thing is, for me, 500W makes me kind of nervous, if you were to spend an extra $10-$30 I'd spend it on a PS upgrade. In my experience parts always seem to use more power than not, but I could just be overshooting it. What did you use to determine the 500w capacity (online app, added up wattage ratings, etc.)?

Edit: I recommend this one, $70 after rebate (+$0), 650w and modular: Newegg.com - mushkin 550150 650W ATX12V SLI Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
    I used this little calculator here. Antec Power Supply Calculator

It came out to me using like.. 370W or so with the HD4850 Card, and since I'm gonna get the 4770, I figure it'll be about 10 watts lower.

There's also a Corsair 650W non-modular that's on sale for 99.99 on newegg, along with an Antec 550W Modular, so I'll keep those in mind.

I may go AM3 route with another Mobo, the Phenom II X3 720, and some Corsair XMS if I do go the AM3 route. I'm not 100% sure though. Thanks for the advice, though.