+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    so i herd u liek trollin
    BG Level

Were your parents like this?

Mum Punched Son Over Hickey, Court Hears - Clumsy Crooks

I read this article today, (not a big article) and it got me to thinking. My parents were always very understanding about my sex life in my early teen years. But some of my friends parents considered even talking about it to be taboo.

So, how about everyone else? Were your parents totally against you having a sex life, or were they just lax about it?

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

My parents were lax. All they wanted to know was that I was being safe and not stupid.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Never got "the talk." But, I was never retarded enough to need it.

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

I found out so early that I got in trouble often in Kindergarten for telling kids how 'babies were made' and parents getting upset that I told their children. Pretty funny.

My mom was pretty cool she didn't really try to trick me about anything besides Santa Clause, which I believed in until I was like 12 or something retarded, as far as sex goes I had condoms by the time she found out I was masturbating.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

My parents never once talked to me about sex, they just trusted me enough to not do something stupid (knock a girl up, STD, etc), and their trust was well placed.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arathor

Quote Originally Posted by Maguspk View Post
    My mom was pretty cool she didn't really try to trick me about anything besides Santa Clause, which I believed in until I was like 12 or something retarded, as far as sex goes I had condoms by the time she found out I was masturbating.

WTF you mean you don't believe Santa?!

I never had the talk from my mum but I think she knew what was going on when she walked in on me having sex when I was 15. I've always had girlfriends since I was like 12 as well and she was always really cool about everything. Fuck she even taught me about the whole walking a girl home thing to get a kiss as they go through their front door. My mum's a legend lol.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

If two people, irrespective of gender, were left in a closed environment, would they genetically know about sex and try to have sex? This is assuming they had no source of knowledge like seeing animals humping each others brains out and be like, "That looks fun." Adam and Eve do not count. Apples of knowledge are hacks.

BG Level

Um, yes. There are genetic precursors that would eventually (unless they are mentally impaired) lead to them having sex. Pheromones, nerve senses - they wouldn't know about sex or how to have it but they would eventually discover it.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Interesting. The reason I asked that was because my first sexual encounter was rather strange. I was 8 or 9 at the time and my friend and I shared a bed on a sleep over or something. She was the same age as me. For some reason, before passing out to sleep I somehow found myself checking her oil. I didn't think about it at all. It just happened like out of the blue.

Bear in mind that I had no prior sexual encounter, at least that I was aware of, and now in retrospect, I am like what the heck? After the incident, I still didn't think about girls sexually until I was around 15 or so. BG, therapy me for free.

My mom was somewhere in the middle. "The talk" consisted of telling me "if you have sex before you're 15, I'll cut it off." Beyond that, she knew I wasn't stupid.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I am enjoying how people in this topic are equating "needing the talk" with "stupidity." Good stuff, there. It's not part of the reason there are so many unexpected teenage pregnancies or anything. Nope, a lack of proper, thorough sex ed is the only thing to blame.

BG Level

Unsocialized humans have no capacity for understanding what they are doing when it comes to sexual encounters. At that point, it's all instinct driving you. You do it because it's a natural instinctive tendency.

On the other hand, once you learn what sex is and what the benefits (and drawbacks) are and how social stigma plays a role in the rituals, behaviors, etc.

It's very interesting to see that some of our most basic drives (hunger, sex, sleep) are completely driven by genetic instinct. The rest is all socialized behavior.

Good god man, sex ed is a waste of time for anyone that has access to the internet. I knew everything that needed to be known by the age of 9, just by exploring.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I think people equate stupid to not using a condom.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Blubbartron View Post
    Good god man, sex ed is a waste of time for anyone that has access to the internet. I knew everything that needed to be known by the age of 9, just by exploring.
    You're not everyone. Even having access to the internet doesn't mean people are going to research the specific topic of sex, not to mention more information beyond its basic definition. A lot of people -- young and old alike -- who only log onto their machines for E-Mail, MySpace, and so on, are shit at searching for things on the web.

Perpetuating ignorance is not the answer. School aside, if you're a parent, talk to your fucking kid about sex. Seriously. Shit ain't hard.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Gurubashi

My parents bought me my first pack of condoms when I was 13. Sex isn't that big of a deal at all if you're not stupid about it... that's what they told me, lol.

Banned.

BG Level

My parents were completely free and open about everything, we were allowed absolute freedom as long as our grades never dipped below a 90 average.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

My parents are strict conservatives. Never talked about sex, but they seemed to live in constant paranoia that I was going to come home prego someday (which irritated me because I never acted like a "wild child".) Doesn't bother me though and think less of them. they are who they are.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

I never got "the talk" either. Actually my mom complains if I dont have a girlfriend because at home is just my brother and dad. She says she needs a girl to talk to...

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

No 'talk' here either, but from what I gathered with my current relationship, all my parents want to know is whether or not I'm with someone, and being safe about myself.

Otherwise it's a silent "don't ask don't tell" policy.