Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 328 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Spellcast Help Thread (Link your XML using Pastebin.com for help!)

not putting beta/RC in the topic title since cant edit that shit when its final, but currently on RC7 which looks to be the last before final release with few minor things to add.

SpellCast 2.30 RC7 (5/14/09) - Windower

SpellCast 2.30 has got some major improvements. Nearly every crash should be fixed now.
    We have include support, we have multi language support, we have new features!

But for you people who haven't used spellcast because its too complex for you to write up a configuration file...

You can still load it, and not use any file at all. Doing this will still give you access to spellcasts advanced command rewriting features - which is like one the best features.

If you don't know what i'm talking about, SC will let you do this

/ma erase

Remember the good ol days where we didn't need to put <t> on end?
    SC auto appends <t> if its missing, and smartly uses <me> on self only spells so

/ma stoneskin
    works too

Oh what about those silly quotations?
    /ma cure III

works too, automatically translated to /ma "Cure III" <t>

Now those roman numerals? wouldnt a plain 3 be easier
    /ma cure3

yep! works too.

Tired of typing the prefix?
    //cure3

Some long spells like Recall-Meriphtaud? Official aliases defined to //meri
    Note: Not all long spells have official aliases registered yet, but thats something I can do over the automated update system of resources - so wont need to update SpellCast to add more.

What about those people with long names? This is the best part: Name auto completion.

Got someone named Jimbobstoner in party (or in area, party has priority though)
    //raise3 jim

Automatically will complete to /ma "Raise III" Jimbobstoner

even bob works, it doesnt have to be the start of the name. Type w/e part is most convenient.

You get those features even when you have no XML file loaded. Simply load the plugin, and now your command input is smart. SpellCast will be added as a default plugin to Windower once this is finished, and the features of SpellCast Lite (check wiki, basic text file execution features) will be added too for people who use script files for macros.

NOTE: THIS IS UNFINISHED! In the next few days, maybe today or tomorrow, a final version will be released, so check the forums for final release.

We love you Aikar. Ask SE for employment.

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Gah I want to be able to fully utilize this, but it's so damn confusing to learn XML. =(

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Great job like usual Aikar!

Two things.

1. Could you or someone please, for people like me, write up a "Spellcast for Dummies" page or something. As soon as I start seeing brackets and stuff, my brains start melting. Right now I am just aping off of Tuufless's spellcast. Would it be possible to make an interface that would write simple XML for you? Like something where you could input your gear, pick from a list of potential options (detect weather, night/day, resting, casting certain spells) then it would generate the XML for you? Or am I just dreaming on this one?

2. Windower 4.0 update? Pleasey? I am soooo looking forward to the TParty update and graphical changes!

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

/epicboner!! thanks for the work, spellcast is one of the things that makes FF tolerable

THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

For those of us who do write our own XML, any major XML revisions we should be planning for?

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by The Blackrose View Post
    For those of us who do write our own XML, any major XML revisions we should be planning for?
    Hey, friend, buddy, pal! Help a brother out?

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

someone started a tutorial page but never finished it.

but think of an xml document like a tree.

each 'element' in the <xxx> stuff is a branch.
    and each branch can have more branches coming off it
    Code:
    <spellcast>
       <sets>
          <group name="mymaingroup">
              <set name="lightgear">
                 <main>Light Staff</main>
              </set>
              <set name="thundergear">
                 <main>Thunder Staff</main>
              </set>
          </group>
       </sets>
       <rules>
          <if element="thunder">
             <equip set="thundergear" />
          </if>
          <if element="light">
             <equip set="lightgear" />
          </if>
       </rules>
    </spellcast>
    <spellcast> is the trunk of the tree. Your tree should always have 1 trunk, if not wtf kind of tree is that?

then you have 2 branches, a sets branch and a rules branch.

Every branch needs to be opened with <branchname> and closed with </branchname> and everything between those 2 are more branches off of that branch... mostly..

In the above example with <equip set="thundergear" /> thats a open and close in same line, so its EXACTLY the same as <equip set="Thundergear"></equip>

The equip branch in this example doesnt have any sub branches.

So long as you get your format down and keep the XML syntax correct, it becomes easier.

You make a group branch off of the main <sets> branch and give it a name, and on that branch you make set branches each with their own name.

then in the rules branch you can tell spellcast "hey, fly over to this sets branch and pick off the lil branches of gear to equip"

Each attribute on a rules branch under <if> and <elseif> gives it criteria for walking on that branch.

Think of it like a real tree branch that splits off into 2 branches.

Y

you have some badass bully bird at the split asking for a toll fee to enter the left branch. If you can pay it, you can go on the left, but if you cant, he sends you to the right.

Thats how a <if xxx=xxx> .... </if> <else> .... </else> system works.
    Then you have action tags that when hit tell spellcast what to do. and <equip> does well... you guessed it.

check the links on this page SpellCast Tutorial [Windower.net]

and you really can start getting into it if you just put the time behind it. Your going to have to read, your going to have to learn something new, but its worth it

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

For people confused about XML: You don't really have to start from scratch.

There is user uploaded XML here, that you can take a look at and get a pretty good understanding of. My SpellCast XML is really just a heavily modified WAR or DRG one (I can't remember, there weren't any COR uploaded) I found before.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

So does this mean we will need to change all <action type="equip ....> to <equip>?

Also, I use regex a little in my files, but I don't entirely understand the new change. If I had something checking my hp percent, would it work like <if Advanced='(int)regex("HPP",8[5-9]|9.")'>?

EDIt:

Er I Forgot, will something like <if Advanced='(int)$myvariablehere=2'> still work?

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Aikar you kick ass sir! Speaking of which did you ever get that PS2 disc you needed? Not to derail but I found mine if you need it and since you're in North Carolina I can get it to you easily.

I got your pm on irc but you never came back or responded.

Thx again broham, much love.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

no i didnt get disc ; ; :X
    @Stub, the result from regex is a bool wether the statement matched or not

<if Advanced='(bool)regex("%HPP","8[5-9]|9.")'>

and no <action type="equip" still works just also added support for 3.0 style format of <equip>..</equip> since its... cleaner and easier to read But in 3.0 action type will be removed and forced to use <equip> etc

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I love the bird analogy

New Merits
    BG Level

name auto complete.. pure secks

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Aikar View Post
    no i didnt get disc ; ; :X
    @Stub, the result from regex is a bool wether the statement matched or not

<if Advanced='(bool)regex("%HPP","8[5-9]|9.")'>

and no <action type="equip" still works just also added support for 3.0 style format of <equip>..</equip> since its... cleaner and easier to read But in 3.0 action type will be removed and forced to use <equip> etc
    Alright, thank you. Thanks for all you work, much appreciated.

Dice and rum
    Not necessarily in that order

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Aikar View Post
    /ma erase

Remember the good ol days where we didn't need to put <t> on end?
    Wow. You make me wish I still played!

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I used to hate BLM. Then Aikar came along and now I love it. :D

With the XML files, I pretty much started with copy pasting the pre-made templates on the windower site, then found the need to customize them a bit further to meet my needs. After adjusting 7+ xml files, I started to get somewhat decent at XML through just looking up the commands and testing it out. After lots of practice, It become understandable, even to a computer illiterate person such as myself.

Reallly looking forward to the new version of Spellcast. Keep up the good work!

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Now that Aikar is here, more tangential questions!

Who was working on the RNG auto-shoot plug-in, and do you know the status of it? Also, Windower 4? Update?

Thanks for all the hard work!

2600klub

Loves tits more than you

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

well I came

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Haomarush

When I heard about spellcast for the first time I wanted it. I didn't know the language of it. Never edited something like that in my life. It is a very efficient plugin and is well worth the time to learn. Everything on the SpellCast page will tell you how to do it. There's a forum for when you can't find out what to do.

Point being I didn't know how to do it and with about 10 hours total (not consecutively) I was able to write my own and copy other's XML files and edit them to my liking with my own XML files. If you don't know how to use it just sit and read it if you ever get some free time.

What I did was open an XML and just make little bitty examples after reading a paragraph to see if it worked. Really basic things like equipping an item for a spell.

It's an awesome plugin and needs to be utilized by everyone playing FFXI. Great job Aikar.