Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Some Parents are Just That Fucked Up

Judge rules family can't refuse chemo for boy - Yahoo! News
    Judge rules family can't refuse chemo for boy
    MINNEAPOLIS – A Minnesota judge has ruled a 13-year-old boy with a highly treatable form of cancer must seek medical treatment over his parents' objections.

Brown County District Judge John Rodenberg ruled Friday that Daniel Hauser of Sleepy Eye has been "medically neglected" and is in need of child protection services. Rodenberg said Daniel will stay in the custody of his parents, but Colleen and Anthony Hauser have until May 19 to get an updated chest X-ray for their son and select an oncologist.

Doctors have said Daniel's Hodgkin's lymphoma had up to a 90 percent chance of being cured with chemotherapy and radiation. Without those treatments, doctors said his chances of survival are 5 percent.
    Seriously, I don't care what your religious beliefs are or anything else. Your son is dying and you're doing nothing. That child needs to be taken away from them. Period.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Wow.

Darwinism.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level

2 wrongs a right do not make.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I thought morons can refuse blood tranfusion even in a life threatening situation?

/darwin award to the parents

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Parents suck. Why would you not let your kid get treatment? It would be totally different if the KID didn't want treatment himself. But to completely deny your child a chance at a perfectly normal life is wrong on so many levels.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

This is all over the news here... makes Minnesota look really good! Not...

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

God created radiation for a reason!

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Give chemotherapy to all three of them. Sweet Justice.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I just want to know why they are trying to refuse the treatment. Maybe volcanic can expand on this a bit more. Is it religious reasons or are they trying to get the kid holistic healing or something?

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

A test from God. He smote them for believing cancer medicine was the answer.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Azalee View Post
    Parents suck. Why would you not let your kid get treatment? It would be totally different if the KID didn't want treatment himself. But to completely deny your child a chance at a perfectly normal life is wrong on so many levels.
    I was wondering the same myself so did a little research. At first people wanted to blame "lolreligion" because I guess his family is into some Native American spiritual stuff. But sounds like that really isn't the case.

Apparently Daniel IS the one that was refusing treatment. They did start treatment at first and Daniel had a rough treatment at it (chemotherapy apparently feels pretty bad). His Aunt I guess died when he was 5 from chemotherapy, so I guess he got paranoid when he started his treatment and was feeling bad, so he refused to continue.

Not to say the parents are blameless, but more I read, this sounds like a case of the parents giving into what their child wants out of guilt, and wanting him to be "happy" considering his situation.

It's funny though how that article makes it sound like the parents refused the treatment, rather than Daniel.

[edit] about the Native American thing, I can't find a timeline on it, so I could be wrong. But it sounds like they got into it because he refused the treatment way back, and was looking for alternate answers. Now he stands firm on only that type of treatment.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

They was probably trying to collect some insurance money once he dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    I was wondering the same myself so did a little research. At first people wanted to blame "lolreligion" because I guess his family is into some Native American spiritual stuff. But sounds like that really isn't the case.

Apparently Daniel IS the one that was refusing treatment. They did start treatment at first and Daniel had a rough treatment at it (chemotherapy apparently feels pretty bad). His Aunt I guess died when he was 5 from chemotherapy, so I guess he got paranoid when he started his treatment and was feeling bad, so he refused to continue.

Not to say the parents are blameless, but more I read, this sounds like a case of the parents giving into what their child wants out of guilt, and wanting him to be "happy" considering his situation.

It's funny though how that article makes it sound like the parents refused the treatment, rather than Daniel.

[edit] about the Native American thing, I can't find a timeline on it, so I could be wrong. But it sounds like they got into it because he refused the treatment way back, and was looking for alternate answers. Now he stands firm on only that type of treatment.
    Just want to add to the above, which I think is correct.

The entire family appears to have hopped onto the alternative medicine bandwagon quite a while ago, so they appear to be true believers in the stuff and the collective decision by the family was to forgo chemo/radiation and go full-bore into alternative medicine. I think the kid did knowingly refuse treatment, but he has gotten some horrible advice from his parents, who believe he can be cured by other means. (note: there is no other way to survive this, w/o mainstream treatment he will die 100% certain)

The religious excuse doesn't seem to play out here, they seem to have joined up with this native american group as a means to play the religion card to get out of treatment. It's a convenient excuse for them and I'm certain the judge took it into account.

as an aside, yes, chemo/radiation sucks, but the actual physical suffering from dying of cancer is overlooked by the family in this case. Dying of cancer, even w/o chemo, can be very very painful so they're just delaying the suffering of the child, which they probably don't realize

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Having been through the situation watching someone slowly die from cancer, all I can say is if the kid is worried about pain he really hasn't seen anything yet. Imagine tumors lining your spine to the point where you need to have your son and wife hold your arms while they lower you into bed. Fuck that, this kid needs to be taken to see a terminal cancer patient who is in pain. Let him show him what he's in store for.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

In before parents letting their kids not get immunizations because needles are scary.

Also, excellent way to dickpunch cancer survivors who have types that aren't treatable.

PRINCESS NEWMUMMY
    space mini!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Absolutely Virtue View Post
    In before parents letting their kids not get immunizations because they believe it causes autism.
    Fixed for the newest craze in parental insanity.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

"Daniel stopped chemotherapy in February after a single treatment. He and his parents opted instead for "alternative medicines" based on their religious beliefs."

Source: Minnesota judge rules teen must be treated for cancer - WKBT La Crosse, WI-NewsChannel 8-

That's a local news affiliate, but the story is actually AP.

Jellysaurus Rex
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Sometimes the situation is different though --
    Girl Wins Right To Refuse Vital Transplant - CBS News

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Now I am on a CRUSADE TO FIND THE TRUTH. Here's the full AP story, which has the bits about their specific religion.

The Associated Press: Judge rules family can't refuse chemo for boy

"Daniel's parents have been supporting what they say is their son's decision to treat the disease with nutritional supplements and other alternative treatments favored by the Nemenhah Band.

The Missouri-based religious group believes in natural healing methods advocated by some American Indians."

That seems to make sense, but then:

"The Hausers have eight children. Colleen Hauser told the New Ulm Journal newspaper that the family's Catholicism and adherence to the Nemenhah Band are not in conflict, and that she has used natural remedies to treat illness."

I think it's safe to light the Darwin beacon. I decree this case to be closed. Verdict? Stupid people are stupid. Sentence? Thin the herd.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Interesting story, and interesting topic...