+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    the elephant whisperer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Something I need to share...

I work at a Sanctuary for sick, old, and needy elephants rescued from circus' and zoos. We have been open since 1995 and have been sanctuary to 24 elephants so far. In November, a 21 year old male Asian elephant named Ned was confiscated by the USDA and brought to us to care for. He was emaciated and scared. If you have five minutes, watch the video at this link and see what I mean.

The Elephant Sanctuary : Hohenwald Tennessee

He passed on this past weekend to his next journey and I wanted to share his story with you all. His short time with us here has really changed a lot of people and we are all better for it. Another of our Asian elephants, Bunny, passed on this weekend as well...a few hours before Ned. She was 57 and died of natural causes. Ned was in serious pain since the day before when he laid down and wouldn't get back up. We were using IV fluids to put painkillers in him so he would be comfortable...but no matter what we did, it wasn't working. When Bunny passed, Ned flexed one more time in pain...then remained still and calm for the rest of his time. He reached out his trunk and gently felt the people around him before he passed...almost saying goodbye.

My reason for posting this, besides just hoping to help raise awareness for elephants, is to ask a question. I myself am not a religious person, but I am not sure about what happens after death...no one can be. Do you guys think Bunny helped him transition on...or is it just nice thoughts for people in mourning? Being around these amazing animals...I am surprised every day at how intelligent they are and how emotional they are. Check out the website and see what you guys think...keep Ned in your thoughts/prayers/meditations.

The Elephant Sanctuary in Tennessee

He reached out his trunk and gently felt the people around him before he passed...almost saying goodbye.
    FUCKING HEARTSTRINGS ; ;

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

that's deep

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

that's rough..

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Bunny was at our zoo (Mesakr in Evansville, IN) for a very long time. She was sent down to you guys when she was getting too old. Seen her probably 30 or more times. I heard about her passing this weekend, that really is sad.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

That is really sad. I'm sure he was aware something happened to bunny, and something was happening to him, but as far as i know; humans are the only species aware of their own mortality. Although how the fuck you would gauge something like that is way beyond me.

the elephant whisperer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    Bunny was at our zoo (Mesakr in Evansville, IN) for a very long time. She was sent down to you guys when she was getting too old. Seen her probably 30 or more times. I heard about her passing this weekend, that really is sad.
    It really is amazing she lived this long. The life expectancy for elephants in a zoo is 40 years old. The fact that she lived as long as she did with as few problems as she had, is an awesome thing. They generally live to be around 60 in the wild, 40 in a zoo in USA, 30 in a circus, and saddest of all...25ish in a zoo in EU. Most of our girls have horrible back stories of abuse and neglect. Bunny was one of the few without a horrible life...just retired.

I've always wanted to work for/volunteer at a shelter/sanctuary for large cats. They had an opportunity at school but I never took it up. Seeing this kind of makes me wish I did, but at the same time, glad I didn't because I know there would be some heart break involved.

Honestly not the job I'd have imagined for a guy with your hobby!

On topic, I've always thought Elephants looked pretty fucking smart when you look in their eyes, so I really wouldn't be surprised.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I love elephants. ;_;

I am sure he knew something was up... They are very intelligent animals.

the elephant whisperer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Shuemue View Post
    Honestly not the job I'd have imagined for a guy with your hobby!

On topic, I've always thought Elephants looked pretty fucking smart when you look in their eyes, so I really wouldn't be surprised.
    Haha...you can blame my fiance for that. I've always loved animals, but if it weren't for her I'd never be here. She is the one with 3 degrees and actually gets to interact with the elephants daily. I am maintenance and caregiver support...so more grunt work, less cool stuff.

They truly are amazing animals to see up close. They are one of two animals in the world that are self-aware, the other being monkeys. Meaning, if you put a mirror in front of them, they know that it is themselves and not another animal. They are also troublemakers...always figuring out how to open gates they shouldn't and just break stuff in general to see what happens. Here's an example...

YouTube - Tarra Digs The Sanctuary - Elephant Using Shovel

Tarra is also the elephant that was on CBS news recently that has the pet dog...she's an interesting character for sure.

YouTube - An Elephant and a Dog(excellent quality video). An Unlikely Pair: The story of Tarra and Bella!

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I remember seeing the CBS video a while back. I would be afraid of the dog getting squished haha. Especially when Tarra is petting her with her foot.

Holy shit, Tarra is fairly fucking awesome!

gonna save some hot babes and punch radiation in the mouth.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Frostwolf

My heartstrings. They have been tugged.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by noblemountain View Post
    Do you guys think Bunny helped him transition on...or is it just nice thoughts for people in mourning?
    Just nice thoughts, but there's nothing wrong with nice thoughts. Enjoy them.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by noblemountain View Post
    Being around these amazing animals...I am surprised every day at how intelligent they are and how emotional they are.
    a majority of the animals on earth are intelligent save for a few, most humans just think they are stupid because well... they can't speak human langauge. I mean just think how we treat "other" humans who can't speak our langauge

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarman View Post
    but as far as i know; humans are the only species aware of their own mortality. Although how the fuck you would gauge something like that is way beyond me.
    Supposedly dogs go off to die

BTW. I love all animals

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Most people would believe that they're just nice thoughts and coincidence, but without trying to sound too stupid or unrealistic, I think he did know what was going on with Bunny and knew it was time to go. I think with animals, things like these happen all the time and it's part of the... "magic" left in the world. There are so many things left unexplained about humanity and their relationship with other species of animals on earth, it sounds childish to say it's some magical force or language that animals speak between each other or just know subconciously..but eh, it's whatever. Other than that, awesome story man. Elephants truly are amazing creatures and most don't really take the time to sit down and realize some things that animals are capable of. Thank you, Planet Earth dvd's.

Change this later.
    BG Level

I've always thought elephants were a good candidate for developing a civilization; they're obviously intelligent and even would both benefit from and be capable of agriculture, having mastered the shovel.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Onigami The Yagudo King View Post
    Most people would believe that they're just nice thoughts and coincidence, but without trying to sound too stupid or unrealistic, I think he did know what was going on with Bunny and knew it was time to go. I think with animals, things like these happen all the time and it's part of the... "magic" left in the world. There are so many things left unexplained about humanity and their relationship with other species of animals on earth, it sounds childish to say it's some magical force or language that animals speak between each other or just know subconciously..but eh, it's whatever. Other than that, awesome story man. Elephants truly are amazing creatures and most don't really take the time to sit down and realize some things that animals are capable of. Thank you, Planet Earth dvd's.
    I agree. Not sure what it is about animals, but they have a way better sense of what's going on than even people do sometimes. Though not as huge, the cats I've had in the past, always always knew when something was wrong with me. Whether I was sick, or sad, they knew when to stay calm and by my side.

It's probably along the lines of they can tell how I was standing/acting/etc. But without understanding, they could sense it way better than someone else could.

<3 animals, and I hope you enjoy working where you do OP. It can always be a wonderful and refreshing experience taking care of animals.

Black Belt
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Eratosthenes View Post
    I've always thought elephants were a good candidate for developing a civilization; they're obviously intelligent and even would both benefit from and be capable of agriculture, having mastered the shovel.
    The dinosaurs built ancient civilization, challenged god, and was punished dearly for it.

Not even a speck of their vast city or technology remained