• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread

Is it possible to connect a printer that's 32-bit (via home network) to a 64-bit OS PC?

Please be gentle.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

There are 32-bit printers?

If there are drivers for it for your 64-bit OS, whether native or some sort of compatibility mode, then you should be able to use it. Do you have more details, such as the printer model, and whether it's a network model or shared off of another computer, etc?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

There shouldn't be a problem, so long as the model of printer has 64-bit drivers available.

Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia View Post
    There are 32-bit printers?

If there are drivers for it for your 64-bit OS, whether native or some sort of compatibility mode, then you should be able to use it. Do you have more details, such as the printer model, and whether it's a network model or shared off of another computer, etc?
    I have a Brother MFC9420CN printer.

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com...9420cn_all.jpg

It's hooked up to a 32-bit OS PC I have on a home network. I'm trying to get it to work with a 64-bit OS PC on the same network.

I can see it on my network but when I connect to it, I get this message:

Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000100).
    After looking online a bit, I figured it had to be a compatibility issue.

This is the Brother download page for my specific printer. I didn't have to go through this w/ my laptop since it's 32 bit. It just connected immediately w/o problems.

Brother Solutions Center: MFC-9420CN: Downloads: United States

When I try to install the drivers I guess, it cannot find the printer on the network (the installation software's own 'network search') yet I can see it on the Vista network if I look for it myself.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Connect it to your network directly instead of going through the other PC. Pretty sure you'll have to install the driver on the 32bit machine in any case.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I think we've got at least one of those in the building too, though no x64 machines are using it, just 32-bit XP and OS X.

Set the printer up with a static IP (should be able to use a 192.168.1.x address most likely, just look on your router and see the range). Then use the ol' reliable way to add Windows network printers. Add Local Printer (yeah...), then create a new TCP/IP port with the IP addy for the printer in it. That should get around the issue with the network printer discovery.
    Either that, or you may have firewall settings blocking it, so could poke around there.