Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Random question - what causes LSes to break

May seem a very random question. If a shellholder quits the game - what conditions are required for the linkshell to break? Thinking about circumstances like if a content ID is cancelled, account worldshifted, character deleted etc.

Long story behind this one - trying to find out if someone's quit as they're claiming basically.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

SE changed shouldn't break unless, he does command to break the ls I think.

Ive sucked 27 dicks, in a row.
    BG Level

Simply being inactive won't do it. I'm not sure if deleting will, but I'm leaning towards no. The two ways I'm 100% sure that it would break would be dropping/destroying the item and server transferring.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Zosi View Post
    Simply being inactive won't do it. I'm not sure if deleting will, but I'm leaning towards no. The two ways I'm 100% sure that it would break would be dropping/destroying the item and server transferring.
    I didn't realize that a LS would show as broken if she shellholder transferred servers, are you sure this is the case? I thought I remembered the leader of a social LS I was in over 4 years ago changing servers when they opened up Hades and the LS remained functional. Was a long time ago, so I could totally be remembering this incorrectly.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Vedder View Post
    I didn't realize that a LS would show as broken if she shellholder transferred servers, are you sure this is the case? I thought I remembered the leader of a social LS I was in over 4 years ago changing servers when they opened up Hades and the LS remained functional. Was a long time ago, so I could totally be remembering this incorrectly.
    the ls should stay though limitedly since only sacks can make new pearls and no new sacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zosi View Post
    The two ways I'm 100% sure that it would break would be dropping/destroying the item and server transferring.
    I think it only breaks if they drop or destroy the shell. I thought I had read a PlayOnline announcement saying as much when server transfers became available. Admittedly, my memory could be failing.

Ive sucked 27 dicks, in a row.
    BG Level

Yep, I was wrong, looked up the announcement on Wiki. I remembered the "Linkshells, linkpearls, and pearlsacks cannot be taken with you in a World Transfer and will be automatically discarded." line, but not the part about continuing to use the LS.

If that's the case, then I'd say that it has to be explicitly destroyed for the LS to cease to function.

Thanks guys - just trying to figure out what the state of play is with this person (my hunch initially is they're playing possum claiming to have quit) and thought if they'd quit/worldshifted the shell would show as broken.

I'm just brainstorming, but if they quit (cancel ID) and they're on the LS community site they will show up grayed out on the linkshell member list.

If they're on your friend list, it might be worthwhile to check they're PlayOnline profile. Of course, they could just link to another handle or go invisible if they're trying to duck you.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vigilia Dulaurier
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Linkshells definitely remain unless broken/dropped, some of what are now my mule characters still have social pearls from 2003 and the original shellmakers have long since quit and deleted IDs. It's kinda nostalgic logging on to check gardening and see a /lsmes from so long ago...
    Even LM-17 doesn't destroy the shell btw, noticed this the other day when clearing out my storage for marbles and didn't have the heart to toss my old Manaburn sack when I realized it was still active.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilia View Post
    Linkshells definitely remain unless broken/dropped, some of what are now my mule characters still have social pearls from 2003 and the original shellmakers have long since quit and deleted IDs. It's kinda nostalgic logging on to check gardening and see a /lsmes from so long ago...
    Even LM-17 doesn't destroy the shell btw, noticed this the other day when clearing out my storage for marbles and didn't have the heart to toss my old Manaburn sack when I realized it was still active.
    Deleting character breaks shells, deactivating ID forever doesn't. LM-17 doesn't actually remove accounts, a LM-17ed character's name will stay taken and all linkshells they have remain active.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Hi Thorny!

Yeah - as a follow up... appears the person in question has jumped servers (story behind it - insert your own drama) as they're showing as such on some people's flists. Just assumed the shell would have smashed but it hasn't - but thanks for the replies guys.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I tested this myself ,
    I changed servers before and moved back, my old shell GaiaLegends is still there , just dont have a main shell,
    I just remade/renamed it to GaiaLegend.