BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    My point was, there IS a black Nick Fury already established. Its not like they cast SLJ as Batman or Clark Kent.
    Sam Jackson can't be Clark Kent, everyone knows Superman is jewish.

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but Nick Fury wasn't in Avatar the Last Airbender, so let's switch back to that. >.>;

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

^how awesome would it be if he was?
    also who would you cast in A:TLA(B?)

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Nick Fury would make a better Aang than the ugly ass pudgy guy

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

I dunno. If Nick Fury slimmed down and learned to blast air out of his hands, I think he'd fit in just fine.

And honestly? I haven't followed the movie stuff much because I'm not a fan of animation > live action. It rarely works. I'd have to look around to find the right folks, but I'm sure I'd get Zuko/Aang better than they did.

Banned.

BG Level

This is going to be terrible because the first season of Avatar was terrible.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

At least it looks a lot better than Dragonball Evolution.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    My point was, there IS a black Nick Fury already established. Its not like they cast SLJ as Batman or Clark Kent.
    Yeah and he managed to work simply because nick fury is a badass mother fucker and Jackson also happens to have enough raw badassmotherfuckery to fill the role even in a comic book.SLJ would make a great batman (not so sure on the Bruce Wayne part because as a kid he'd have beat the snot out of those robbers and saved his parents)as well but he'd be more suited to being an original character provided the script is actually good for the character. Cant be superman because Clark Kent isn't bad ass enough looking for SLJ to pretend he's him. The no killing rule in most comic books would cut off his mojo alot too.
    As it stands now the only thing we have to judge these actors by is their appearance. It might be possible for them to be so amazing at acting that we forget how little they look like their roles but what we see atm is a walkman trying to pretend it's a boom box.

As someone not familiar with Avatar, is it actually set in some kind of fictional Asia, or just another world altogether? If the latter, I'd say forcing asians into the roles isn't exactly a gimme. Then again, you'd think they'd hate being stereotyped into kung fu flicks.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    As someone not familiar with Avatar, is it actually set in some kind of fictional Asia, or just another world altogether? If the latter, I'd say forcing asians into the roles isn't exactly a gimme. Then again, you'd think they'd hate being stereotyped into kung fu flicks.
    Set on it's own planet but they travel to so many different sections of it that you can see a pletora of clearly defined races/cultures. The written language is chinese and they probably only speak english so that we understand wtf they're saying.Asian mythology in general heavily influences everything with themes like reincarnation,karma, etc coming into play. The earth kingdom is styled after China, the air nomads are obviously Tibetan buddists, the water tribes are inuit tribes(eskimos) with the southern tribe's culture/people nearly wiped out/exterminated, and im not too sure on the fire nation. The fire nation has Mongolian,Korean, and Japanese influences from what I can tell but I cant really place it since it's slightly unique. The fascist-like propaganda and whatnot inside there and political changes that have happened to it within the previous century has "dulled" the general culture due to teaching it being replaced by propaganda and an attempt to stifle creativity(in a non warlike setting) and anyone getting any "bright ideas" or at the least made the more warlike and martial sections of the culture more prominent.
    Keep in mind that this completely missed out on HUGE sections of everything. There are plenty of other cultures hidden about and the kingdoms/nations are so huge that to try and stereotype each one into just one cultural setting would be grossly inaccurate.
    But on the whole it's undeniably 100% asian in appearance and thematically despite being an American made production.

Asians used to get stereotyped into kung fu flicks because in the Asian market most of the actors started out in kung fu flicks.Think bruce less jackie chan etc. You get to make an action flick without having a big budget and everyone loves to see people beat the shit out of each other. When they cross the pacific and get to Hollywood they work at what they're best at so they aren't stereotyped into it so much as it's what they're good at. Plus it's quite hard to act in a different language/culture(yes faking a different culture is can be hard since different cultures react/show emotion differently) so the non kung fu actors are usually stuck in their home countries. It also doesn't help that crossing an ocean and flopping as an actor royally crews you. So job in kung fu= safest bet if you're already a star in asia.

Certified Man-Child
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

Quote Originally Posted by Dimmauk View Post
    What the flying fuck?! Please tell me this is fake.

Edit: shit, just looked on IMDB and they're the real actors. I can forgive the casting if these kids and M. Night can pull this off, but I'm highly doubtful. Don't know why they just didn't go with an animated movie......

Tekki's Bitch

BG Level

http://www.racebending.com/castingactors.jpg

They already messed up this movie by having Zuko squint with the wrong eye.

But seriously wtf at these choices... whats so wrong with trying to stay as true as possible to the original and make it as good as you can(This reminds me of the bulma refusing to have blue hair in the dragon ball movie) its not like having white characters is gonna make an anime to live action film be more accepted or do any better... its a fucking live action movie they bomb regardless might as well do your best to make the hardcore fans happy because they are the only people that are even gonna watch this.

Also gonna laugh if they include the awkward romance between this fat Aang and the girl.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Isn't the kid they chose for Aang a multiple Blackbelt karate champion who is also a fan of the show to the point where his friends actually knicknamed him "avatar"?

Also, while being set in a fictional asian land, the characters really didn't act asian at all. Hell, Aang was a white skinned, blue eyed, fairly generic looking kid and had no asian traits at all about him. So the kid they got is a pretty damn close match, though a bit chubby in the face. In the end, as long as these actors can get the characters right, I don't give a rats ass if their skin is light or dark.

Quote Originally Posted by thetruepandagod View Post
    They already messed up this movie by having Zuko squint with the wrong eye.
    wut?

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=untitled.jpg

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

To be honest? I do have mediocre hopes for the film, but not enough to hype it. The character choices aren't HORRIBLE (like Dragon Ball Crapalution), but I know they could be better. The girl they have to play Katara does sort of resemble her in the face somewhat, and with makeup/wigs/hair coloring, etc -- I'm sure she could pull it off. Yeah, it all comes down to how good their acting is, though visuals are nice. I do feel M. Night wants to play this as close to the real epic as he can, and not totally fuck it over by making it a generic Martial Arts film like Evolution was.

Also, Season 1 was the worst season (2>3>1 for me), but it still had it's moments of awesomeness.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Akiyama View Post
    Also, Season 1 was the worst season (2>3>1 for me), but it still had it's moments of awesomeness.
    Season 2 was definitely the best of the series in terms of story, action, and character development. Seasons 1 and 3 were the same quality wise for me. 1 had to introduce the characters and plot so you can't fault it too much for being a little slow in the beginning. 3 felt like they realized they only had one season left so they rushed in as much extra plots and fillers to satisfy everyone. Day of Black Sun and the Finale were of course good (and they better have been, considering the importance of those episodes) but the season as a whole felt meh.

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Yeah. Season 3 had quite a few "eh" moments like the Painted Lady and all that. I loved the finale though. The fight scenes were really choreographed well, and the final scene was, of course, super awesome.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I wonder if there is going to be more than one movie, I just watched the marathon today. you can't pack all of that into just one movie, needs at least 2 or 3

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

It is. He's scheduled to have three movies.

Banned.

BG Level

Season 3 was pretty terrible, especially after the big encounter in the middle of it. The ending was mind seething. Season 2 was great though.

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

I dunno. I personally think the story was alright in Season 1, but the action was lacking in some parts, Season 2 had both impressive action and story (Azula, Mai, and Ty Lee are awesome), and Season 3 had a lot of action (Day of the Black Sun/Boiling Rock/Finale, etc) and such, but mediocre story since it was a lot of stuff I'd call filler, even if it's not really 'filler'.

And I was into the whol Katara/Aang thing. So eh, the ending was nice, but it felt a little rushed.