+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for a good HDTV     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Old Merits
    BG Level

Looking for a good HDTV

Having just moved, I'm now in the market for a new HDTV. I've owned a Samsung 19" 720p TV, as well as a SyncMaster 226 22" monitor, and they've been great, so my initial instinct was to go with a Samsung, but I wanted to get some other opinions on different brands before I took the plunge. Basically, here's what I'm looking for:

40-50 ish inches,
    1080p,
    price range of about $1000-$2000
    a fair amount of connectivity (E.G. multiple HD component and HDMI inputs)

I'm planning to watch a lot of Blu-ray rips on this, of all different kinds of movies (through my WD TV), as well as play Xbox 360.

Two that I've found that look promising are:

Panasonic TC-P50G10
    Newegg.com - Panasonic VIERA 50" 1080p 600Hz Plasma HDTV TC-P50G10

Samsung LN46B750
    Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 46" 16:9 2ms 1080p 240Hz LCD HDTV LN46B750

Now, the Samsung is obviously stretching my price point a bit, but I've heard so much about it I figured I'd give it a shot. Does anyone have any in-depth knowledge (possibly personal experience) of either of these displays?

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

LED TV - televisions | SAMSUNG

LED TVs look promising

blax n gunz
    BG Level

The only LEDs that would fit in his price range are 40" or smaller. They are super sexy but there is always some price for early adoption of the hottest new tech.

I own a samsung and it's top notch. I see no gotchas with the one you're eyeing despite it scraping the upper end of your price range.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

cant go wrong with a samsung lcd

I have personal experience with the Panasonic TV, though in general I'd always recommend a modern Plasma over an LCD. Plasma beats them in every way(including price) except for in their higher cost of ownership due to using more electricity.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Im looking at the samsung you showed Ruiner. Except the 120hz model. I've always bought samsung (two 32'' tv's) and love em. I hear the difference between 120hz and 240 is pretty hard to see fyi.I thought about plasma but the screen just cant get as bright as LCD's and i love the bright screen that really pops. Same reason why DLP is out for me.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

The Wang
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Furt Wangler
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I'd check out this one (52" 1080p 120hz retail $1799) and look at the rest of toshiba's site here, Toshiba | Televisions | LCD to see the rest of their models.

Forum Donator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

If you have a costco around, they have the 500 series there (50+) near the top end of your price range.

http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/61168-hdtvs.html

While this thread is almost a year old, it does have some good information

Master of blackface Range Rover beer bottle throwing.
    BG Level

Holy shit, I didn't even know they started coming out with 240hz LCD's. Last I checked which was a while ago, 120hz had just started coming out and they were crazy expensive.

I've heard a lot of good things about 120hz, especially for Blu-Ray, they say the motion in movies are so fluid it's almost life-like, but a lot of people don't like this as they aren't used to it. I saw one playing a Blu-Ray at a Best Buy in 120hz and it looked freaky (but awesome).

Tyven's Xbax Fren
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Korgath

If you check around, you can find a Vizio that is equivalent to the major brands for cheaper, if you aren't interested in spending 2K on a TV.

I personally have a sharp aquos that I'm very happy with (1080p, 120hZ) and paid about $1100 for.

The Wang
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Furt Wangler
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Diamicles View Post
    If you check around, you can find a Vizio that is equivalent to the major brands for cheaper, if you aren't interested in spending 2K on a TV.
    quality, etcetc

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

My grandmother just bought this JVC LT-42P300 to watch while i'm down here visiting in Florida, It has a USB port but can only seem to view Jpegs on it. any way to get around that to listen to music or watch videos through the USB port? I tried searching around on google, but i guess i'm not searching for the right things..

Old Merits
    BG Level

Thanks for all the help guys, I think I've settled on the bigger version of the Panasonic I posted earlier, the TC-P54G10, unless someone can deter me from it.

Amazon.com: Panasonic VIERA G10 Series TC-P54G10 54-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV, Black: Electronics

I really wanted the Samsung LCD, but the Panasonic plasma is eight inches bigger, and still about $200 less, so I couldn't pass it up. Does anyone have any personal experience with the TC-P54G10, or just the TC-PG10 line, period?

Yeah, I just set one up for my Uncle a few weeks back(the 50inch). They look better than any LCD on the market does imo( I know people said they like LCD's "brightness"...but that's another way of saying "washed out colors" and bad black levels). It's close enough to the old high quality CRTs that if I were to get a newer TV right now I'd probably buy the same line. You're not gonna regret the choice, just remember that Plasmas are more sensitive to burn-in the first 100 hours or so of use, so don't watch/play anything with a lot of static images for 3hours+ for the first week you use it, after that you don't have to ever think about it again.

The Dazzler
    BG Level

I'd recommend downloading and burning one of the breakin DVDs and running it for ~100 hours. The one I used was from Evangelos Angelides - Home. It basically just cycles through different solid colors/brightness levels every 30 seconds. It's not completely necessary if you're careful but I ran it while I slept and worked just to be on the safe side.

I have a 32" panasonic LCD in my bedroom and a 52" sony in my family room. The samsung and sony LCD tvs share the same technology and are made in the same factory side by side.

You can't go wrong with either set you choose in my opinion.

Panasonic I feel has more true to life textures and colors.
    Sony has a slightly sharper picture and cooler colors.

It all comes down to which has a prettier casing.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tythera View Post
    I'd recommend downloading and burning one of the breakin DVDs and running it for ~100 hours. The one I used was from Evangelos Angelides - Home. It basically just cycles through different solid colors/brightness levels every 30 seconds. It's not completely necessary if you're careful but I ran it while I slept and worked just to be on the safe side.
    Thank you for this. For the first 100 hours, I'm planning to watch Planet Earth in 1080p and run the break-in DVD when I'm sleeping/not watching. Hopefully that'll do it.