Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Soloing Fenrir as pld.     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Soloing Fenrir as pld.

So I was bored today and tried to solo Fenrir as pld/rdm. Needless to say it didnt go as well as I had hoped. I was just doing a test run w/o any meds (just refresh drinks) and got it to 52%, but thats with 2 hour.

The damage was just a bit much to keep up with the mp restore I had, even with phalanx and good shield skill build. The full dispel didnt help either, and the occasional paralyze did its part.

I remember a few other people soloing this, but dont remember what job. Id like to do it on pld, but dont think /rdm is the way to go. /nin would probably still get owned as shadows would be wiped too fast. Any suggestions?

Perhaps pld/dnc, but then just about all of my damage from atonement would be gone for the sake of waltz spam.

Pretty sure I can just break down and solo it as Nin/Dnc, but wanted to get other input before I gave up on pld.

maybe with excalibur?

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Trollbane

yeah excalibur would be a lot better

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Serefina Solfyre
    FFXIV Server
    Odin
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

RDM/NIN can solo it without too much difficulty but I'd say any job which relies on a melee solo method will have trouble; he has pretty damn potent regain and Eclipse Bite is horrrrible. Lunar Roar is too but you can normally avoid it on RDM.

I would be very impressed if you managed this solo though!

PLD/BLU probably works better for straight tanking Fenrir. Also its 2hr can be deadly.

A JP THF has successfully soloed Fenrir using evasion build and bloody bolt/expensive meds.

Every day I'm wafflin'
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

NIN/THF can do it, but it looks bloody difficult. Need to equip swords and build TP for Flat Blade at a certain point in preparation for Fenrir's 2hr, just pray that you're not in the middle of casting Ichi when he decides to use it. Also need a fuck-ton of meds.

Kaeko
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I think nowadays it would be easier to solo on NIN with /PUP. Gold (the Mithra that has the NIN/THF solo video) completed with /THF pretty long ago and I think it would be easier to pop a Hermes Quencher or spam powdered boots nowadays and have the /PUP with you to enhance/cure you.

I know he did a really nice NIN/PUP true solo of Ash Dragon like that (true as in noboby helps him with adds on the outside since /PUP magic doesn't magic aggro).

On the topic of PLD soloing this though, wouldn't Fenrir's dispelga make keeping up a lot of buffs really difficult?

Every day I'm wafflin'
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

/DNC would out-do /PUP now, probably. The impressive thing about Gold's Ash Dragon was that it was done before /DNC in an innovative way that most likely no one else had ever thought of before.

The flat blading 2hr thing is entirely unnecessary, as it can't one shot you. It's still on the tougher end as far as solos go for nin/dnc, but very doable. On RDM, it's a joke.. and I'm pretty sure BLM solo is feasible but never seen a recorded one done. If I were to redo my NIN solos and had /pup available, I'd use it on ash dragon and vivian(they have no regain, making back tanking and using puppet an option). The problem with it on fenrir is that he has huge regain, making stalling /pup no longer a viable option

Meh, looks like Ill just try it Nin/Dnc then. Ill keep looking for ideas for doing in on pld though.

And for the above comments:

pld/blu would still take too much damage to keep up with via mp.

Excal's regen wouldnt be enough to make up the difference, and if I wasnt using KoTR then I would have only slightly better DoT than joytoy atonement spam.

Im sure there is a way, guess Ill keep searching.

Actually I have been wondering if PLD could make much use out of Darksteel harness set.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ferien Terzo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Neosutra View Post
    Meh, looks like Ill just try it Nin/Dnc then. Ill keep looking for ideas for doing in on pld though.

And for the above comments:

pld/blu would still take too much damage to keep up with via mp.

Excal's regen wouldnt be enough to make up the difference, and if I wasnt using KoTR then I would have only slightly better DoT than joytoy atonement spam.

Im sure there is a way, guess Ill keep searching.
    I think the point of Excalibur is so that you can sub DNC without worrying about Atonement, since the added effect will basically take care of it for you.

Were you using these? Ice Trousers - FFXIclopedia, the Final Fantasy XI wiki - Characters, items, jobs, and more

The spikes proc on every hit received, and the rate of para is apparently pretty high. I don't use them when i solo personally, but many others swear by them.

Quote Originally Posted by Faxanadu View Post
    Were you using these? Ice Trousers - FFXIclopedia, the Final Fantasy XI wiki - Characters, items, jobs, and more

The spikes proc on every hit received, and the rate of para is apparently pretty high. I don't use them when i solo personally, but many others swear by them.
    I used those to solo ODS:
    http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...216_184111.jpg

and they worked wonders. I'm not sure though on the overall PLD/XXX attempt on Fenrir. Would be very difficult and likely not doable w/o Aegis, capped Phalanx, and a good amount of meds.

I soloed ODS w/o the trousers as with capped merits/phalanx/shield gear it wasn't that bad of a fight. As for fenrir, even with the pants and a shit ton of meds I don't see pld/rdm doing it. I think pld/dnc would also take waaaay to much damage to keep up with the waltz's.

Quote Originally Posted by Crisco View Post
    I used those to solo ODS:
    http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...216_184111.jpg

and they worked wonders. I'm not sure though on the overall PLD/XXX attempt on Fenrir. Would be very difficult and likely not doable w/o Aegis, capped Phalanx, and a good amount of meds.
    Nice! This is next on my list of shit to do when im bored. Did you follow a strat that I can look up? Any advice?

p.s. sry to post-jack

For ODS:

Phalanx, Yags/Aulates, Enspells, and stay alive. They get grounded in the ground occasionally, so you can move away from them and take a breather from getting beat on every once in a while. Other than that, just like any 6 mobs attacking you at once.

Ice pants help.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Trollbane

Hmm... now I'm gonna go try to solo Fenrir on PUP

I'd tap that turian!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I really don't need to read BG late at night. I swear to god I thought I read fafnir instead of fenrir and thought it was a trolling topic.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I have never fought fenrir before.

There was a video on Stage6 (which is dead now) of a THF/NIN soloing it. He used Paralyze Arrows which proc'd often and seemed to last forever.

To avoid his two hour he used Shadowstitch to bind him and move away.

I am pretty sure he used some meds. But I don't remember him spamming them. (I could be wrong, it was a while ago when I watched the movie.)

PLD can use both Shadowstitch and Paralyze arrows. You might need some luck (Sushi) on getting either to land?