+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question for all the metalheads or headbangers in general

Not quite sure if this fits into General but whatever:

I went to a concert last Friday and my neck and upper back still hurt from the headbanging, so I was wondering how do you guys deal with aching necks? Or am I just THAT out of shape?

I'm also wondering if any of you, who happen to play in a band, manage to actually do that night after night when playing shows, is there a secret trick that I'm not aware of (other than "training")...

And last but not least, even though this might sound girly, but how the fuck do people manage to not completely fuck up their hair after a concert? I mean, when I usually wake up the morning after my hair is all tousled

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Trollbane

dont do that man

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

The whiplash is all part of the experience. Sounds like you did well. Get a stronger neck and get better hair gel. LOL

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Trollbane

practice makes perfect, im sure you will love yourself later in life for it

Oh hi Dimm Still on Uni?

On topic: A friend who used to work in a fitness center told me that a good way to strengthen neck muscles is a) crunches and b) even though I don't know the name, taking two weights while standing and shrugging...I hope you get what I mean. Can anyone confirm this?

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Nekonaruto View Post
    Oh hi Dimm Still on Uni?

On topic: A friend who used to work in a fitness center told me that a good way to strengthen neck muscles is a) crunches and b) even though I don't know the name, taking two weights while standing and shrugging...I hope you get what I mean. Can anyone confirm this?
    Of course I am. I'm a Unitard 4 life.

I got neck muscles from doing neck pushups. Situps and shoulder presses help too.

Hmm, what are neck situps and shoulder presses? I'm not into the whole bodybuilding scene at all, so excuse my ignorance :D

PS: Yeah, Uni pulled me back too after Bis, but meh, I quit about a year ago...

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Nekonaruto View Post
    Hmm, what are neck situps and shoulder presses? I'm not into the whole bodybuilding scene at all, so excuse my ignorance :D

PS: Yeah, Uni pulled me back too after Bis, but meh, I quit about a year ago...
    Neck Pushups are very hard to do. This is kinda what it looks like.

http://www.mattfurey.com/images/feetflatbridge.jpg

I'd stick with shoulder presses, and situps
    http://www.usaweekend.com/07_issues/...lder_press.jpg

Imagine headbanging with this neck. LOL
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sm/2006/neck_dex1.jpg

Fuck neck push-ups, yeah. The other two options seem more viable, thanks for the heads up!

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

People still headbang?

BG's worst Rangers fan
    Fleury 2; Lundqvist 0

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bad Karma
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Hell yeah, but my neck never really hurts afterwards, I think your doing it rong

I usually do the standard up and down thing but I switch to the errr windmill/helicopter/whateveryouwannacallit quite a lot. But I tend to "get into the music" a bit too much sometimes so that might be a reason or simply because I'm so out of shape overall.

Or MAYBE, but only maybe...cough...it's because I almost broke my neck once after falling straight on my head from like 2-3 feet.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Don't strain your muscles when you do it. Just relax your neck as best you can.

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Yeah I'd go with more Fist pumps, Air punches, and/or Horn hands.

Dolmen

Having played in a band, there are some techniques you can use to avoid being in pain the next day. I've found that moving your body with it helps a lot. If you look at a lot of bands, they give the illusion of headbanging by moving their head just a little. The long hair accentuates the movement, making it look faster and more energetic. Then there are guys like Xytras from Samael that would windmill their hair nonstop (when he played drums and had long hair) and I imagine they're probably sore.

Personally, I stopped headbanging primarily because it had an effect on my playing. I also wonder what is really happening to your brain when you're sloshing it around in your skull like that.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

This is the gayest thread I've ever read.

#1 You hurt yourself headbanging... .... .............. No words.

#2 You care about your voice night after night? You're playing music for the wrong reasons. Unless you're being professionally produced and have an autotuner or play very melodic metal you should sound pretty much like absolute shit if what you're doing means anything to you. If you don't believe me go listen to some Minor Threat. Live shows are about the energy you put forth and a mutual respect between the people who care enough about your music to want to see you play and you caring enough about your music to want it to be shared. I permanently damaged my vocal cords when I was younger by playing show after show while I was very sick and I don't regret a moment of it and I still subject my friends and family to my horrendously destroyed voice.

#3 As someone who has done both his wifes, friends, and own hair for years I have to say this is one of the gayest questions I've heard in a while. Who fucking cares what your hair looks like the morning after, after the concert, wtfever. When I was 14 I had 11 inch liberty spikes held in place and readjusted every morning with elmers carpenter glue.

People only have perfect hair at concerts in movies and teen sitcoms. I'd love to read a list of what you're headbanging to because I'd put even money down it's "Girls not grey" by AFI.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Gurubashi

Happened to me a couple of times but got used to it. I go crazy @ shows though so :/

I know it's a stupid thread, and I could probably make hundreds more like these because I tend to think (too much) about random shit.

Either ways, not going to make a list of bands I listen to, let's just say that it's not AFI but mainly metal.

The concert in question was a couple of local bands (Rude Revelation, Abstract Rapture) and one from France (Destinity)...check out their MySpace pages for songs, if you're interested.

On the brain and general damage to your neck etc topic: Yeah, I don't plan to do this for the rest of my life, but while I can and there are good bands playing concerts...why not.

And finally: thanks for the advice Dolmen.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    People still headbang?

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

As someone who has done both his wifes, friends, and own hair for years I have to say this is one of the gayest questions I've heard in a while.
    Oh Sath. What have you done.