+ Reply to Thread
    Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Los Angelinos: Where to get a beer near the LA Convention Center?

Since we have a fair amount of LA inhabitants here, I figured it best to ask where a nice but none too expensive bar is near the LACC. Don't care if it's a bit gritty as long as a guy can get a cab or a bus relatively late at night from there.

As I live near Main Street in Santa Monica, all my needs are taken care of locally, and I only go to the Convention Center for business. Well, I will be going there for business in a matter of days, and the gentlemen I'll be meeting with love to drink till they can't walk. I'm never much interested in that myself, so I know nothing, and all my local buds also rely on Main Street for their watering holes.

So, help, please? Where can I take them that won't charge an arm and a leg (an arm is acceptable)? A good selection of booze is preferred. Food is a secondary interest -- it's nice if they serve some pub grub, but the quality of the drink is far more important than something to chew on. Besides, if they wanted quality eats, that's something I can very easily handle myself (and will be, since I have a few dinner dates).

Thanks in advance.

Dark alley behind the nearest mexican grocery store.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Trollbane

Quote Originally Posted by Kohan View Post
    Since we have a fair amount of LA inhabitants here, I figured it best to ask where a nice but none too expensive bar is near the LACC. Don't care if it's a bit gritty as long as a guy can get a cab or a bus relatively late at night from there.

As I live near Main Street in Santa Monica, all my needs are taken care of locally, and I only go to the Convention Center for business. Well, I will be going there for business in a matter of days, and the gentlemen I'll be meeting with love to drink till they can't walk. I'm never much interested in that myself, so I know nothing, and all my local buds also rely on Main Street for their watering holes.

So, help, please? Where can I take them that won't charge an arm and a leg (an arm is acceptable)? A good selection of booze is preferred. Food is a secondary interest -- it's nice if they serve some pub grub, but the quality of the drink is far more important than something to chew on. Besides, if they wanted quality eats, that's something I can very easily handle myself (and will be, since I have a few dinner dates).

Thanks in advance.
    inside of your cavernous vagina

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Pile into a taxi and drive away, the area surrounding the LACC shuts down around 8PM, and there isn't a night life to speak of within walking distance.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    Pile into a taxi and drive away, the area surrounding the LACC shuts down around 8PM, and there isn't a night life to speak of within walking distance.
    To where?

Really, does no one here go out for a night on the town? There have to be some people.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

The Edison?

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Meteora View Post
    The Edison?
    Yes, here. It's not withing walking distance, hence the cab recommendation.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

The only problem is that The Edison is closed a couple of days a week. Also, the place is located around 2nd and Main, so it might be kinda far for homeboy here.

Another one that is kinda close (8th and Olive) is Golden Gopher, just a few blocks from the Staples Centre. The others I remember are more like sport-pubs type of places.

Overall, The Edison is an interesting place.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Golden Gopher is the exact kind of place I'm looking for. The Edison is something I'd probably go to with close friends (or a meaningful business contact) instead.

Thanks much.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

the Edison isn't cheap, but what place in LA is? That being said it's probably the coolest alcohol-serving building I've ever been to.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

Go somewhere with pear cider, I had it at a bar near UCLA which isn't near the CC but I highly recommend it Enjoy E3

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Do you work for a game company or a retailer or the media?

If you find a good bar while you are down there let me know as I am headed that way tomorrow after work and will be hanging around the convention center for the week. I think my friends and I will go walking around a little bit to try to find a good place to hang after each day.

I hope there are some good places to go within walking distance of the Mayfair Hotel.