+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Old Merits
    BG Level

Final Fantasy IV: The After Years

This game hit WiiWare today, so I gave it a try. Pretty good so far. The main game itself is $8, and the extra side chapters are $3 a piece. (only one this month) Here's some release info for the rest of the game:

Rydias Tale "TheEidolons Shackled" 6/1/09
    Yangs Tale "The Master of Fabul" 7/6/09
    Paloms Tale "The Mages Voyage" 7/6/09
    Edges Tale "The Pulse of Babil" 7/6/09
    Poroms Tale "The Vanished Lunar Whale" 8/3/09
    Edwards Tale "Star Crossed Damcyan" 8/3/09
    The Lunarians Tale "The Blue Planet That Was" 8/3/09
    The Crystals "The Planet Eater" 9/7/09

The final chapter (The Crystals) will be another $8. You will be able to transfer your character data from previous chapters to the final one, (I assume no character crosses over between side chapters) but I think you can skip any of the side chapters if you don't feel like pay the three bucks.

Playing the first main bit so far, got to the Mist Cave before getting screwed by back attacks. Probably will have to grind a bit. (haven't had to do any of that up until that point) Plays just about the same as FFIV did, except they added in team attacks and moon phases that make you plan out your rests before certain areas. Sound is so-so, pretty much just re-using the music from the original game. Some bits of the game don't even have any music, which was odd when I got to those parts. Apparently the first part takes about 5 hours to get through, so I should probably be able to finish it either tonight or tomorrow.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bryant Snow
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Deathwing

FFIV is my favorite of the series, mainly because it was the first and brings back nostalgia! But, I don't want to buy a Wii just for this :< Hope theres an emulator out there, or maybe bring it to PSN/Live ;(

Drunken Red Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Auspice Lasserott
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Still debating on getting this since you have to buy each chapter etc. I heard this was coming to the DSi shop too; anyone know?

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Loli Khan
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

don't have a wii so I read the spoilers to all the chapters as they came out in japan a while back, still wish i had them.

Packin more heat than spicy
    8=====>

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Auspice View Post
    Still debating on getting this since you have to buy each chapter etc.
    this. when i bought the FF my life as a king, i think i spent like 10 bucks or 15 for the game, and then another 20 just for the extra dungeons and races. so annoying

They have my money. FFIV was my first and favorite.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

mmmm 37$ total hope it's good

Xavier

Well, since $37 is basically what we would've paid had they decided to release the game at retail, I don't think that is particularly bad.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Out of curiosity, this was originally a cell phone game released only in Japan before no? Name sounds familiar.

Drunken Red Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Auspice Lasserott
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    Out of curiosity, this was originally a cell phone game released only in Japan before no? Name sounds familiar.
    You got it!

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Considering I spent money for like 4 copies of this game (SNES, PS1, GBA, DS), you know I'm all over this.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Tempting, may wait a bit until I hear more opinions from others (FFIV was my favorite too)

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

lol, already a copy out that includes all the DLC even the ones not out yet >.>

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Meian View Post
    Tempting, may wait a bit until I hear more opinions from others (FFIV was my favorite too)
    Finally got around to playing it today.

There's not a whole lot to say, really.

It's got 2 new gimmics: Moonphase and Banding. Moonphase changes the effectiveness of melee attacks, white magic, black magic, and ranged attacks. The game stresses that you 'have to pay close attention to the moonphase since it can change your battle strategy', but it doesn't change things so drastically in my opinion. Banding is like dual/triple techs from Chrono Trigger where your characters will perform a team-up move.

Other than that, the gameplay is pretty much the same as it was 15 years ago.

I'm not too far in, but one of the major things that bother me is the linear gameplay. I'm not really that surprised given the game is divided into episodes, but it's pretty much go here and do X. Now that you're done, go there and do Y. There's really not a whole lot in terms of exploration. You also seem to get into a lot of random battles.

If you enjoyed FF4, you'll probably enjoy this. That's pretty much what it comes down to.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

How indepth is it compared to FFIV? Are there side quests or dungeons, or hidden bosses? Any backtracking to earlier areas later in the game, once you've become more powerful or done certain things? If two people both complete the game, and one just played through the main story line and did whatever was explicitly told in the dialogue, and the other went off and did all the sidequests and found all the hidden stuff, how much will the first person have missed?

I wonder if I can find this emulated somewhere, lol

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Hey guys, it's me Agrona, and I like catching wild Stantler in my free time. They know hypnosis.. Don't believe Ondors' lies. That'd be unforgivable, DALARON

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Is this any good/worth buying?

Always been curious about setting up my Wii for pirating, but I have no SD cards, which seems to be the go to method. :/

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Are you fucking kidding me lol?

Newegg.com - Kingston Elite Pro 2GB Secure Digital &#40;SD&#41; Flash Card Model SD&#47;2GB-S - Flash Memory

There you go, there's a 10 dollar SD card, have at it.