+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Science Fiction Super Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

dont waste your time, money, and effort (and free bonus bucks) on some shit bucket. if you are going to do it get a truck at least everything else in the GM lineup is a fucking garbage scow

+1 to the above

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrag View Post
    Camaro starts off at 23,040! unless you specificly have to have the gm tag(sorry tired just woke up)
    Saw one in person yesterday..............

it looked better in pictures, reminded me of the aztec heh

Quote Originally Posted by jmcgarrell View Post
    Saw one in person yesterday..............

it looked better in pictures, reminded me of the aztec heh
    i still haven't seen one /shrug - i, at this point, would never buy an american brand car(can't say american made because you never actually know where the cars are made!)

Tyven's Xbax Fren
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Korgath

DO NOT get a Cobalt, it's just a remodeled Cavalier, same platform and everything, just a new body style.

The G6 is probably the best value in the group that you're looking at, but only if you really don't like the Vibe (very underrated vehicle imo)

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

A few points: Can't do the Camaro - offer is only valid for '08(lolASTRA) and '09 new vehicles - the Camaro starts as '10.

@Takedown3 and Quixon: The idea of buying a GM car, and a Pontiac car specifically, makes me a little nauseous. I railed for years against Pontiac, I think they are by and large terrible, and if the Vibe wasn't just a rebranded Toyota I wouldn't consider it. I agree that otherwise the only vehicles in the GM lineup that are worth anything are the trucks - but I'm not getting a truck. The Vibe is my only real option.

I did the internet "get quotes from nearby dealers" thing today and they are coming in around the $16,500 range for $18,500-ish MSRP vehicles - what I don't know is if that is including the $1500 cash-back or not, which I would get because I'm paying straight cash and not financing. If that isn't included in the quote (not sure whether to expect that to be the case or not) then I am in a good position. I'd try to knock another grand off that quote by coming in really lowball "wahh but Pontiac doesn't even exist anymore" etc. and working from there - then I'd be looking at a brand new car for under 11k before taxes.

I test drove one today. And I was largely impressed. My only main annoyance (outside of the logo and name on the back) was the lack of rear and blindspot visibility. The seats were pretty comfortable, there was good rear legroom (I shuttle people around frequently) plenty of cargo space, and the whole thing didn't feel "cheap" at all. Had better pickup than my Nissan (which isn't hard to accomplish) the automatic shifted smoothly, engine noise wasn't bad, etc. etc.

I told the guy to try to see if he could locate a black one with power windows/locks/cruisecontrol (which is 1 package option) and A/C (duh) in either manual or automatic - I test drove the automatic but I want to try the manual, I currently drive a manual. There's 5 Pontiac dealers in my immediate area at least, and I'm sure plenty more if I widen to 50 miles.

As for my Nissan. It's dinged up (6-inch crack in the glass, some front-end damage from a rear-ender, one of the wheels got fucked up and fixed in an accident 4.5 years ago, and it was stolen and had the airbags, CD player and power window control panel stripped when it was 3 months old [which is all fixed and fine now]) - basically it's lived one hell of a life and I won't get jack shit for a trade-in.

However mechanically it's great, the engine is fine, it has 69k miles and will probably run for another 100k easy. I feel I'd have a much easier time trying to sell it to a private party - someone who doesn't mind the cosmetic defects as much and is looking for a cheap car that will run a long time, which is what I feel I have.

I'm seriously considering the following - purchase a Vibe cash for under 11k. Drive it home, park in garage, let it sit - put no more miles on it. Drive the Nissan. Put both up for sale - see if I can get $14,500 or $15,000 for a brand new Pontiac Vibe (which would be a great deal for the buyer) or maybe $3800 for my Nissan. Whichever sells first, I drive the other. If the Pontiac sells, then great I've put a few grand into my pocket. If the Nissan sells, then awesome I have a brand new car that I got for crazy cheap.

We'll see, but that's my thoughts at the moment.

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

I would advise against the Cobalt, my mom got one as a rental car for a week and would not stop bitching about it, said its a piece of shit next to the '08 Civic/Focus (I own the latter and she got a Civic another time as a rental car). I would definitely suggest the G6 as from what I understand its a decent enough car to drive (the European version at least). Alternatively, Saturn's seem fairly good cars and Saab isn't figured into this? Cause if it was I would say just suck up the lil extra cash and get that since those be some nice cars

BG Level

Yeah, I checked out the Cobalt and it's complete balls. No Saab option...not sure what their deal is now, but it's not even listed, otherwise I'd be looking hard at that. The Saturns are just not right for me - the ASTRA is meh.

Everything I've read about the G6 is mediocre at best - for that amount of money I'd just get a Malibu. It's looking like Vibe or bust.

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Well last I heard GM was trying to find someone to buy Saab so I guess they found one? Or since they are in a weird government nationalizing/bankruptcy mode atm maybe Chocolate Jesus set it aside to auction off to pay for buying GM otherwise..

BG Level

Went to a Pontiac dealer again today, test drove a manual transmission Vibe - wasn't a huge fan, you have to reach a little too far to grab the stick shift, which juts out of the center console - I think it would be aggravating.

So I've settled on getting (probably) a Black 1.8L Pontiac Vibe with automatic transmission, the power windows/locks/cruise control/keyless entry package, and A/C.

MSRP is $19,480. "Invoice price" (which is, as far as I'm concerned, a meaningless number for negotiating as a buyer, and is only used as leverage by the seller) is $18266. I got into a conversation with a salesman and his manager - first saying I was looking to buy it for around $14,300 (:]), to which they got all fake sad and hurt, and they offered to "if I buy it right now" sell for $17,200, and then gave me a big sob story about how they can't afford to run their business properly if they let customers "bend them over and rape them" (direct quote).

I said thanks and went to leave, and he then said "Look, would you do it for $16,000?" I said no, the guy got (fake) angry and asked "at what price would you leave here today with a car?" I said "I don't have a set price yet, still feeling it out," and I left.

If I can shave another $700 off that (probably at another dealer) I'll be happy. There's still room to go. Car negotiating is such a sick rush for me - it's easy because I hate car salesmen, so I take joy in pissing them off.

This guy even asked if I had a GM Mastercard, and I responded "no". He doesn't need to know that shit until after we've negotiated a price, fuck him. If I can get it for $15,300, then take another $3800 off with the rewards, that would be $11,500 - my target. I'd be happy with a brand new $19000+ car for that.

Edmunds.com does this "TMV (True Market Value)" pricing thing, where they analyze how much actual cars actually sell for and use that to determine your target. For this car with these options, the TMV is $16,284. I will do significantly better than that, and love doing so.

God I love car shopping.

gonna save some hot babes and punch radiation in the mouth.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Frostwolf

What trim of Nissan do you own? SE? SE-R? V-Spec?

{Refresh} {Cat}
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Emirii Mei
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

You need also to remember that sense GM is going out of business *most likely?* that the price to repair your car will skyrocket, as the parts for them will no longer be made.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post

Edmunds.com does this "TMV (True Market Value)" pricing thing, where they analyze how much actual cars actually sell for and use that to determine your target. For this car with these options, the TMV is $16,284. I will do significantly better than that, and love doing so.

God I love car shopping.
    I found a Edmunds.com TMV like site. TrueCar
    Love using that along with the Edmunds site. unlike Edmunds tho it covers only new model cars and not older years.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Emirii View Post
    You need also to remember that sense GM is going out of business *most likely?* that the price to repair your car will skyrocket, as the parts for them will no longer be made.
    The Pontiac brand is done, and GM is reorganizing via bankruptcy - but they aren't going anywhere.

The more important thing is that this car is essentially a Toyota Matrix - all the functional parts are the same, the only worry that could come up well down the line is certain body parts that are Vibe-specific.

@Chicomagiko: A 2003 Nissan Sentra GXE with power windows, door locks, A/C, cruise control and the 7-speaker stereo.

BG Level

Fuck me sideways. The $1500 cash back incentive got reduced to $500 today. Fuck fuck fuck.

I wonder what the odds are that it will go back up between now and June 30th. I'll wait it out obviously, but if it doesn't come back...shit. Now I'm looking at between $12,500 and $13,000 (plus tax and title) for the car. Is it worth it then?

Fuck.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Velgadess View Post
    I found a Edmunds.com TMV like site. TrueCar
    Love using that along with the Edmunds site. unlike Edmunds tho it covers only new model cars and not older years.
    Wow that TrueCar site is awesome. Here's what I'm looking at:

New Pontiac Vibe Prices and Pontiac Vibe Dealer Invoice and Cost

It turns out that when they took away $1000 in customer cash, they replaced it with $500 "dealer cash" and $2000 GM owner loyalty bonus. Now, I don't own a GM, but apparently if anyone in my "household" has one registered to my address, then I qualify. Fortunately my roommate Doug has a 1997 Pontiac Firebird

So I'm going to call around and offer dealers $17,600 and see if anyone will bite. If so, I'll put down my deposit. Then I'll take $3000 in rebates and $3800 in GM Mastercard rewards, bringing my purchase before tax and title down to $10,800 - for a brand new $19,630 car.

Stoked.

For reference, a 2006 Pontiac Vibe with in excellent condition, 36,000 miles and the same features has a Blue Book private party sale value of $11,670.

Ze NinjaSYXX
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nitsuki Syxx
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

sorry for trolling, tho i've read some of this thread.

What about the Cobalt SS Turbo? I doubt the quality of that car is the same as the shitty cobalt starter model.

Do you just prefer new cars? It seems the incentives you are getting for your car is just them removing the depreciation that will happen right after you drive it off the lot.

Have you checked Kelly Blue Book on cars similar to this after a few years of being owned how much they go down in price?

BG Level

The $3800 in GM Mastercard rewards are only applicable towards a new car purchase or lease.

Regarding Kelly Blue Book, if I get this car for the expected $14,600 (before GM rewards) - it would still be cheaper than a comparably equipped, excellent condition 2008 Pontiac Vibe with 12,000 miles, which even in a private party sale is listed at $15,070.

I hear that "well by the time you drive it off the lot the depreciation blah blah" alot - that is a line for people who aren't good at taking advantage of the right situation, the right incentives, the right time to buy. Even without the GM rewards, i'll be getting a price cheaper than a 1 year old used car with 12k miles.

Buyin stuff you don't need!

Ohi Archibald, I was in Hollywood a few months ago and would have seen if you were up for drinks or something, but I was only there for one night and a business conference at 7am the next day.