+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Guardian (Trico)     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Sony needs to make an upgraded, HD PS3 re-release two pack of Ico and SotC similar to what they did with GoW 1&2. Despite already owning SotC, I would get it just to see it's upgraded glory and play it at least three times through...just because.

Quote Originally Posted by Maguspk View Post
    *snip*
    What if they both die?

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

http://kotaku.com/5462996/will-there...t-at-e3-or-tgs

The Last Guardian is the upcoming title from Fumito Ueda, the designer behind Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. In an upcoming interview with Famitsu, Ueda revealed that he is hoping to announce new info about the game.

The Last Guardian follows the adventures of a young boy and a large bird-like griffin-type creature called "owashi" in Japanese. The title was officially announced at the 2009 E3 gaming expo in Los Angeles. "At the time of the E3 announcement," says Ueda, "the tremendous response was a shock to me personally."

While Ueda says he was especially happy about the reaction abroad, he is doing what he can recently so that he doesn't hear the echo chamber. "The reason for that is to avoid unnecessary pressure." Ueda already has to deal with the pressure of creating beloved titles like Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.

For the upcoming The Last Guardian, particular care is being giving to the game's physics engine and the way the young boy and owashi move. In the interview, Ueda reveals that he is drawing on the game's story board, but doing considerably less drawing when compared to the previous titles. The introduction of the game's physics engine seems to have improved the development process for staff.

"There are a lot of things I cannot talk about right now, but this year I'd like to make new announcements," Ueda tells the magazine. "Whether that's at E3 or the Tokyo Game Show, that is something that will be decided." With The Last Guardian getting its official reveal at last year's E3, the smart money is on TGS.

Confirmed-ish
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/ICO-Shadow...ion-3/15061046

fuck yea

I really hope they port the PAL version of Ico, the US version didn't have the unlockable 2 player mode (if you beat the game once, the 2nd player could control Yorda) as well as an unlockable lightsaber (in place of the mace) if you get up to that part with 2 player mode enabled.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rui Seiken
    FFXIV Server
    Jenova
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

yeah, fully confirmed now by famitsu

http://kotaku.com/5638207/ico-shadow...n-3-re+release

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

Fuck, I was hoping there was some pre-TGS Last Guardian info

Some newish info from Famitsu at Andriasang

DEMO PLAY
    The magazine was able to get an early glimpse at the game in action. The demo the magazine saw was made specifically for demo play and offered situations different from the main game. Director and game designer Fumito Ueda walked the magazine through the demo.

When you first start off the demo, Trico will quickly fall asleep because of the inability to communicate with the boy main character. You can place something Trico likes in front of him, and his nose will move as he sniffs it. One example of a thing Trico like is barrels. You'll be able to use these as a means of starting communication with the creature.

This has been said in the past, but Trico moves of his own free will. He'll approach things that interest him -- things like barrels, small animals, grass and so-forth.

Using jars of smoke to draw Trico's attention.
    To advance in the demo, you'll need to make use of Trico. You can toss jars that release smoke. This will interest Trico, and he'll approach. If you get Trico in the correct position, you can climb on his back in order to get to the second floor of the demo area. This type of climbing mechanic makes use of the colossus collision detection schemes from Shadow of the Colossus.

Once you're up to the second floor, you'll find those armored guards that have appeared in past trailers. You'll need to move while taking care to avoid being seen. As the boy can't fight, this means hiding as you advance. You can also move to higher ground, as the guards can't follow because their armor is too heavy. The boy is also faster, so he can outrun the guards. While you can't use weapons against them, you can run into them to make them lose their balance, then flee during that instant.

The game doesn't immediately end if you're captured by the guards. They'll carry you off, but even in this state you'll be able to escape. However, if you're carried off to a certain spot, the game will end.

The guards will in general try to capture the boy. However, if Trico is in the way, they'll also attack him. They won't actually attack the boy, however -- they'll just attempt to capture him.

Trico does appear to have a life meter of some form. It's not something that you can see, but it may be internal. It looks like Ueda did not say what happens if Trico incurs too much damage from the guards and that "life meter" runs out.

Back on the demo's second floor, you'll find a switch which you can press. After doing this, you return to the area where Trico has been waiting. You'll need to make use of Trico to open a door and advance further. This is apparently where the demo came to an end.

♥ Neliel ♥
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Suzunomia Hymnos
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Guards

It was previously revealed that the guards who patrol the stages can capture the boy you control, and if they carry him to a certain area, the game will end. However, even if captured by the guards, its possible for the boy to escape. There's a risk in doing this, said Ueda, although he wouldn't share details. Because of this, the basic play style involves trying to avoid being spotted.

Character Growth

It looks like the boy will grow through the course of the game. I'm not sure if Ueda is speaking about getting stronger in a gameplay sense, or if he means the boy will mature as part of the story. Regardless, the character will not grow in such a way that he'll be able to defeat the guards.

Torico's Interests

The press demo showed Torico appearing to be more interested in things like barrels and jars rather than the boy. Torico will move to the things that interest him most. He won't just interact with the boy because he's there. However, if you improve your communication with Torico, his interest in the boy will grow, and he may end up placing greater focus on the boy.

One example of the growing relationship can be seen when Torico is asleep. If the boy attempts to awaken Torico by by pulling on his ears, Torico won't rise. This is because he's uninterested in the boy. However, if their relationship grows, you'll be able to use this technique to wake Torico up.

Details

As Ueda has indicated in other interviews, they're putting a lot of effort into the various motions of Torico. You'll see different reactions from Torico depending on which ear you touch. You can make Torico sneeze by touching his nose. And so forth.

Riding Torico

Torico has the ability to run. He'll run, of his own accord, if he's in a wide and safe space.

I believe this was in response to a question about being able to ride Torico. Ueda didn't really say if you can ride him or not -- just that Torico can run.

Torico's Enemies

Torico considers the guards that patrol the stages to be his enemies. He'll strike them even if you don't give him any orders.

Actually, you won't really be able to order Torico at all at first. Even if you guide him to open a door by flipping a switch, you won't actually be ordering him to flip the switch, but getting him to play around with the switch. However, as your relationship deepens, you will be able to direct him, to a certain extent.

Stages

The stage that was demoed for the press showed the basic progression system for the game. You'll find yourself in an enclosed area, and to advance, you'll need to break through -- for example, opening a door that blocks your path.

What's beyond the doors? Ueda wouldn't get into specifics, but did say that you may find the outside world expanding out before you. These areas could see form changes as a result of Torico moving through them.

Although we've only seen a small number of areas, Ueda assured that the final version of the game will have great variety of stages. There are narrower stages that the the one shown in the demo, and wider stages too. While the demo stage focused on puzzles, you'll also find more action-oriented stages.

Those more expansive stages may have giant enemies. Ueda wouldn't say for sure.

If you happen to find yourself in a stage with a massive drop, watch out! If the boy falls from a great height, he'll die. You can fall to a certain extent, but not from super high up.

The game won't have a portal-like location which you set out from then return to. You may actually not be able to return to some locations because of stage form changes due to Torico.
    http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/201...guardian_bits/

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/20/th...ollection-del/
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU
    Last Guardian and the Icollection bluray are delayed

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Holiday 2011? So it can get crushed under the weight of the AAA Xmas season rather than break out at a time when unconventional gaming would otherwise be embraced?

how the fuck does the Ico Collection still need another fucking year? What do they have, 1 guy working on it?

It's sooo veiny
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arch Dizzle
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/20/th...ollection-del/
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU
    Last Guardian and the Icollection bluray are delayed

http://www.gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=1171980&t=o

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

This is the worst news I have heard in a long time.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

sigh, really been looking forward to the Ico Collection. I've had it pre-ordered on amazon a long time already ><

Quote Originally Posted by chiyio View Post
    sigh, really been looking forward to the Ico Collection. I've had it pre-ordered on amazon a long time already ><
    I am sure this will make the wait that much easier. Finally dated in Japan, Sept. 22

Now if only we had more info on TLG. =( Fingers crossed they show and tell more on it at E3.

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Which means we'll get the collection in first quarter of next year more than likely.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

So, some proof that the game does indeed exist somewhere. What the fuck has Team ICO been doing for the last 6+ years?!

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/...us-collection/

Bonus Content Comes to ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection
    We’re just a few short months away from the release of the ICO & Shadow of the Colossus Collection for PlayStation 3. As mentioned in the original announcement, this new collection features two of the most highly acclaimed video games of all time, now with full 1080p HD and stereoscopic 3D support, 7.1 surround sound, and full PSN Trophy support, all for just $39.99.

As if that wasn’t enough reason to pick up this collection in September, I’m happy to announce that the disc will also come with some amazing bonus content. Packed in every new copy of the game will be a voucher for two XMB Dynamic Themes, one for ICO and one for Shadow of the Colossus. In addition, on the disc itself will be a ton of exclusive video content from ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, and The Last Guardian that fans won’t want to miss. We’re busy finalizing the videos as we speak, and will have more details to share next month.
    Don’t forget to pre-order your copy before it hits stores on September 27!
    Something related to this in the collection. Probably an updated trailer?

Until the game comes out next week (and depending on if there is enough people playing to warrant a topic on two games that are years old) I thought I would post this here... since it has no real place anywhere.

Just bought this and started reading it. So far it is very good, and exactly what I expected from Miyabe (she also wrote the Brave Story novel which became a PSP Game, and manga/anime). Worth checking out for any fan of Team ICO if you ask me. It is a novelization and Team ICO has given her freedom to be creative so don't expect it to mirror the game, but it is really quite good so far.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I was at Giant Robot (the SF location which recently shut down) a while back and the gallery had a videogame-themed art show going on. In it, among a bunch of awesome stuff, I found this beautiful print:

It was something like 8" x 20". I think it was like a hundred bucks and now I really regret not buying it even though I couldn't really justify blowing $100 on some art at the time. I wish I could even remember who made it.

edit: it was Heisuke Kitazawa, and of course it's not for sale.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Why would you bump a thread with unrelated info on a game that people have been dying for? You people allergic to the 'new thread' button or something?

In fact why is this thread the dumping ground for anything SotC/ICO related?