+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Guardian (Trico)     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Let's go Red Sox!
    BG Level

Kotaku is the last place on Earth that I would look to find the legal perspective on a story.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida told Eurogamer that Sony Japan Studio was forced to re-do some work on the PS3 exclusive, but that progress is being made on technical issues.

"The team is still working on it very hard," he said. "There are certain technical issues they've been working on. That's the period of time when the game, looking from the outside, doesn't seem to be making much progress. But internally there is a lot of work going into creating the title.

"We had the game playable. At one point we felt that it would be produced for a certain time period. That was the time we prematurely talked about the launch window. But it turned out the technical issues are much harder to solve. So the engineering team had to go back and re-do some of the work they had done."

Asked if The Last Guardian is now a PlayStation 4 project, Yoshida replied: "The game is developed on PS3."

PlayStation software development head Scott Rohde said in June that the game "will ship when it's absolutely ready".
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com...last-guardian/
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ill-a-ps3-game

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

If they're being honest there, to me it sounds like the scope of the game didn't match what their underlying tech and engine could handle, so they're stuck in limbo until that's fixed. Hard to do content creation for something that you don't know the limits on too well.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Re: The Last Guardian (Trico)

Ico and SotC took 4 years to develop. This game started development at 2007 so Im just going to be a bit more patient and wait for this masterpiece to be release.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Sigh, of all the fucking games to be stuck in hell... the one I would be looking forward to the most if I weren't so good at completely forgetting about it.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Fumitu Ueda, the former boss of SCE Japan Studio’s Team Ico division, has posted an update on upcoming PlayStation 3 title The Last Guardian on his official website.

To All Interested Parties:

As some of you may have heard, I left Sony Computer Entertainment Japan Studio some time ago to pursue my creative passions. Nevertheless, I continue working on The Last Guardian as a freelance contributor.

While it’s been a long time coming, The Last Guardian remains under my creative supervision and is still in development by an incredibly talented team.

I should also mention that details regarding The Last Guardian‘s release is solely decided by Sony Computer Entertainment, not myself. Please keep an eye out for their official announcement.

Moving forward, it is my intent to continue my involvement with The Last Guardian project, as well as pursue new creative projects with a fresh perspective. As I rekindle my passions as a creator, I look forward to seeing where it will take me, and I deeply appreciate your support during this transition.

- Fumito Ueda
    http://gematsu.com/2013/02/fumito-ue...uardian-update
    http://www.famitsu.com/news/201302/13028683.html
    http://www.fumi.to/

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

lot of speculation of it being made a ps4 launch title, but idk what if any basis in fact that has

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Just get the fucking game in my hands.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Not yet ready to be reintroduced
    SCE Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida has said that it’s “misleading” to describe The Last Guardian as “on hiatus”, as it’s still in active development.

Responding to concern over a comment from SCEA boss Jack Tretton, Yoshida said the Team Ico adventure is still in the works.

“That hiatus term – I’m not a native English-speaking person – but that’s misleading,” Yoshida told Kotaku.

“The game is in active development. [Lead designer Fumito] Ueda-san shared updates a few months ago. Nothing has changed. My answer is, ‘Yes, the game is in active development.’ It’s not hiatus at all. But we are not ready to reintroduce it. When we are ready, we will do that. Please wait.”

Spoiler: show
    Original Story:

SCEA boss Jack Tretton has told GTTV that The Last Guardian is “on hiatus”. However, just because it is on “hiatus” doesn’t mean it’s canned.

“I think the cool thing about our worldwide development studios is we have so many projects out there from so many great teams,” Tretton told GTTV (via TSA). “Projects never ultimately go away, so The Last Guardian has certainly not gone away, but it’s on hiatus right now.”

The Last Guardian announced back in 2009 for PS3 and many rumblings on the net seem to think it has moved over to PS4.

It sounds like it to us, but we’re not soothsayers.
    http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/11/jack...-is-on-hiatus/
    http://kotaku.com/sony-corrects-them...-not-512720979

Ridill
    BG Level

May want to change your post 6Souls.
    though the article you linked has been edited already, your quote and the link as posted on the forum has not!
    him saying it was on hiatus is not true.
    Though it'll still probably be a long-ass time before anyone sees it still.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Latest Non-Update: Play Knack & Puppeteer instead
    Ico and Shadow of the Colossus — two games that almost always get up whenever people discuss whether video games can be both fun to play and truly "art" — are available right now, for free, in HD glory, for PlayStation Plus users. Why do these two games remain so well-loved today, even though Ico is over a decade old and Shadow originally came out in 2005?

"I think it's because I took what I thought I wanted to play, what I thought would be fun, and made it to seriously match that feeling," said Fumito Ueda, head of Team Ico at SCE's Japan Studio, in an interview with Famitsu magazine. "That may sound easy, but it's difficult because there are certain things that you as a creator can't control. I've also been blessed with an environment where I could build games like these. Myself and everyone on the team believe that, instead of making something that gets consumed in a few weeks, we want to have a game really lives on in people's minds. That's why it's still in the limelight now, and that's an honor to me."

Both titles get mentioned frequently as an inspiration by game designers everywhere games are made — including folks from Naughty Dog, whose The Last of Us features a pair of heroes (Joel and Ellie) working together in a structure at least a little reminiscent of Ico's.

"People use the term 'companion characters' to refer to characters like [Ico's] Yorda or Ellie," Ueda commented, "and perhaps Ico was sort of the forerunner in getting people like that into games. Of course, compared to Ico, I feel like people are much more used to creating game stories that handle these companion characters well than we were. With Ico, we had puzzles and such; we couldn't fully do away with the really game-like aspects of it. Ellie plays a game-oriented role in The Last of Us, of course, but in terms of stories and games focused on storytelling, I think they did a really thorough job. It's very modern in that way, or you could say the game design matches well with modern times. We don't want to lose out to them, and we're working on The Last Guardian so it works in similar ways."

And what about The Last Guardian, an ambitious game that's been subject to rumors of cancellation and/or a "hiatus" as recently as this June? "It's under earnest development," Ueda said. "However, SCE Japan Studio, who's working on The Last Guardian, also has titles like Puppeteer and Knack, and those are only the ones currently announced. Those are taking priority right now."

Ueda didn't go into any more detail than that on Guardian's status, which probably means we should all be prepared to wait a while longer. At least Ico and Shadow HD are available for cheap online now. "Compared to other games out now, I think people might see these titles as a little difficult," noted Ueda. "My gut feeling is that once new players try the games out, they won't want to give up on them midway, but still I hope people keep trying and play them both through to the end. Getting to the end on both titles is something that I think will change your impression of the whole package. These aren't games that feel old when you play them, so seeing them get re-evaluated like this is something that makes both myself and the people involved in the projects very happy."
    http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/21/464...d-the-still-in
    http://www.famitsu.com/

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Spike TV’s PlayStation 4 All Access launch event featured a short interview with Sony Worldwide president Shuhei Yoshida. During it, host Geoff Keighley asks him about The Last Guardian.

“It looks pretty,” he said.

Yoshida said he played it. But did he play it with a DualShock 4 or DualShock 3?

“I don’t recall,” Yoshida teased.
    http://gematsu.com/2013/11/yoshida-t...-playstation-4

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yosp?! You are killing me.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Glad to hear that this game is still alive; considering how long many of us have been waiting for it... lol

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Fumito Ueda 'terribly sorry' for the delay
    Fumito Ueda’s output is small but very familar to Edge readers – the towering forms of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. He’s most recently been working on The Last Guardian, though it’s now heavily-delayed.

In Edge 261, we interview him about his career, his decision to leave Sony and how art motivates him. Here are a few excerpts:

Given your impatience, how taxing have the past eight years been on you as a creator?

Putting aside the short-term output, more than anything I feel terribly sorry that for various reasons I have kept my audience waiting for such a long time.

How do you keep your team motivated over a production cycle of five years or more?

Maintaining motivation is all about producing something great. A hobby or alcohol might help to refresh you temporarily, but they won’t motivate creativity. Also, the original staff members on Ico and SOTC are just as fussy over details as I am. I always want to create quickly, and I always want to increase the rate of production. In the case of The Last Guardian, my creative work was mostly finished a long time ago, but the details of when, where and how it will be completed are beyond my control.

Why did you decide to go freelance?

It’s difficult to explain, but in a nutshell it was because I felt a sense of crisis within myself about a lot of things. It’s hard to say exactly what, but in terms of my own growth and career and so on.

What did it feel like to leave a company where you had worked for so long?

When I worked at SCE, I was on an annual contract, so it was not as much of a change as those around me might think. Recently, I’ve been working at my home office and often at SCE’s Shinagawa office in Tokyo.

What was Sony’s reaction?

It was not easy, but I can’t go into the details just yet. It will be good to be able to discuss it along with a post-mortem of The Last Guardian someday.

What are you working on now?

The Last Guardian and the rest is secret. Outside of games, well, just for a hobby, I’d like to try my hand at art.
    http://www.edge-online.com/news/ueda...uardian-delay/

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

EDIT: Scrubbed due to policy, also Butts is a moron

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

FF versus 13/ ffxv switcharoo feeling from this

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

You're dead to me IC.... Dead!

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

love how IGN reports a rumor as "OFFICIALLY CANCELLED" that's not desperate for clicks or anything

http://www.brotastik.com/webm/igntlg.webm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast