Closed Thread
    Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Drenden

Project: Dreams in Vana'diel

This is both a concept and a vision that hopefully would be both possible as well as in demand enough to be undertaken by some very talented individuals.

I'm aware of project XI, but this is slightly different. Project XI is not only extremely complicated IMO, but it still requires a POL ID/connection. This working vision, for which I'm eagerly seeking input and most importantly, technical input, would be something I'd like to take on if it's possible. At least from a project management position.

The core program of FFXI is local, and our character data is server side - along with all the variables that the game calls on, correct?

Is it FEASIBLE to design a program that would emulate the server data entirely - with a bypass of playonline altogether? You may have to manually input character data, inventory, etc. - BUT, could some talented individuals possibly create an emulated, simulated and fully functional offline version of the game?

Any smart programmers out there able to give me a "Plausible, busted or confirmed" on this idea?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Jerseyprophet View Post

The core program of FFXI is local, and our character data is server side - along with all the variables that the game calls on, correct?

From my understanding there is nothing really kept on your computer other then the files for text and graphics, so the "core" of FFXI is not local. All equations relating to virtually everything is done by the server not your PC. When you click something your PC sends a signal to their server saying you clicked whatever it is, then the server sends back the signal to display whatever it needs to display. Your computer doesn't know what to do when you click "Fire" or whatever, it just knows to send the signal. You can notice the split second lag when you click attack, or start casting a spell, and especially when you click disengage. You can also see it when you are disconnecting mid cast and your character just stays in the casting animation.

Project XI is doing exactly what you're asking for. If you actually looked at their site, you'd know that one of the main reasons they're making you log into FFXI first is so SE doesn't have as much reason to sue them.

Edit: Also, I am a programmer....but I've never looked @ FFXI other then poking around dat files and such to see how they work.

Nikkei's Hoe
    Worse than her at uno

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eanae Hikari
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

Get. Out.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

Quote Originally Posted by Eanae View Post
    Get. Out.
    /thread

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Eanae View Post
    Get. Out.

Thank you Eanae, thank you. I face palmed the second I saw that lol

Hey guys, I am starting a cause to cure cancer, any good biologist in the house? If so, send me a PM and we can get to work.