Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Your opponent seriously called a judge saying you couldn't tap lands in response to EDF tapping them? Holy shit lol.

Been Here Longer Than you
    BG Level

He tried to argue that I did so too late. ie - after he announced his tap targets. He just tried to play around the rules by talking really fast and not giving me a chance to respond.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I am a very solemn player. I barely interact with people, unless I get a good feeling from them. I'll joke around if they are like that, but otherwise I just announce my stuff, ask for response, give them time to respond. I do run into salty players, but it doesn't bother me. I rarely play anymore though. I did a draft yesterday for the first time in forever. I thought my deck was pretty bad, but it performed a little better than expected. I won my first 2 matches and just split the finals. Doing that means I only pay like 1.75 for the draft and I wanted to go home. Also the finals player had a ridiculous BR deck, so bullet dodged.

The best thing you can do is to slow down just a little bit. Don't rush into plays and don't ever feel like you need to be rushed to react to your opponent. A lot of players play very fast paced to get their opp to slip up and try to match speed. Just play at a reasonable pace. If some out of order sequencing happens, just take a second and stop. I often see players punish themselves when it was the opp who caused it.

Example: Something like fevered visions. Player A had 2 in play and an unsubstantiate in hand. His opp played a spell and then passed turn and drew 2 cards in like 2 seconds and didn't give player A to respond to a FV trigger. (to bounch a creature so his opp would take 4 for haveing 4+ cards in hand). Player A said sat there for a sec while player B was like "what?". Player A said "I kinda wanted to respond to the triggers" player B was like "well I drew both my cards" and player A was like "oh yeah oh well" and ended up losing.

Shit like that irks me to no end. You call a judge(the right thing to do) or I would just say hey, you can't rush me like that, I'm doing <x> before you draw your cards.

Doesn't take it for granite
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

He just tried to play around the rules by talking really fast and not giving me a chance to respond.
    I've met a few people that try the auctioneer tactic.

Limecat
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    Blog Entries

Doing the modern 1k. I'm 1/3. My losses have been to my deck. I've had to mull to 5 or lower on those 6 games and have been drawing nothing.

Limecat
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    Blog Entries

Yeah, so, the losses sucked so badly, that after each match. Every single one of my opponents who beat me said "Man, I'm so sorry, I didn't want to win like that. I really hope your next round goes better"

It was weird to be treated so nice at a tourney.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Standard bans are back ya'll

Standard:

Emrakul, the Promised End is banned.

Smuggler's Copter is banned.

Reflector Mage is banned.

Modern:

Gitaxian Probe is banned.

Golgari Grave-Troll is banned.

BG Level

Magic needed that since FNM attendance was at an all-time low going back to Affinity standard. Their biggest problem though: bad cards are boring.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

and good cards are bad! lol'ed at probe getting the axe in modern. i don't follow the state of the format at all anymore, was this card actually oppressive? or is it just to stay consistent with modern's 'absolutely no remotely good cantrips allowed' philosophy?

BG Level

I don't think Probe being banned is a super bad thing, as it slowed down games too much. But if they banned Probe, then they CERTAINLY should have banned Become Immense.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Moridam View Post
    i don't follow the state of the format at all anymore, was this card actually oppressive? or is it just to stay consistent with modern's 'absolutely no remotely good cantrips allowed' philosophy?
    Modern is a very linear format, and Gitaxian Probe just helps the all in decks too much. It's basically free information and +1 mana for delve without giving up anything.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I haven't been interested in magic in a while, and them banning cards in standard makes a lot of sense why I lost my interest. R&D is doing a shit job with the game. Banning cards in standard is pathetic. 3 cards, 1 being an uncommon, is inexcusable. Basically turning into you gi oh.

BG Level

Well, the problem is the down-sized power level of the average new card. You find yourself in an environment where 99% of the cards are absolute shit, so the 1% become "too good".

Magic is healthy when aggro, mid range, control, and combo can all be viable in a format. This just simply hasn't been the case in a very long time, due to "Mana Leak" being "too powerful".

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Mana leak is too stronk, so let's print a 2 mana 3/3 flier that goes in any deck it wants to. Delver didn't even get banned in standard. I've been saying the aggro/control/midrange/combo thing forever. There hasn't been a decent combo deck since twin in standard? The ascendency deck might have barely been competitive.

Doesn't take it for granite
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Weltall View Post
    "Mana Leak" being "too powerful".

We will never have another Urza's block.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tricen View Post
    Mana leak is too stronk, so let's print a 2 mana 3/3 flier that goes in any deck it wants to. Delver didn't even get banned in standard. I've been saying the aggro/control/midrange/combo thing forever. There hasn't been a decent combo deck since twin in standard? The ascendency deck might have barely been competitive.
    New Saheeli combo might become T1 or it might just be absolute shit. It is hard to tell right now, but since you can just jam Gideon into it, it can't be that bad.

Limecat
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    Blog Entries

As an infect player, I hate that probe was banned. But I understand why it was.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I need to go to a decent shop and liquidate :<. Might have to make a day trip to tampa or orlando.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I did that recently. Everything under like 5 bucks I sold in bulk to Channel Fireball, and individually pawned off the more valuable stuff. Made like $3000, which was fantastic considering I sold most of the pre-Urza block stuff I wasn't using years ago.

Granted like half of that 3k was basically just my legacy deck, but considering I haven't really played anything but draft for years I won't really miss it *that* much.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur