+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 317 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Magic: The Gathering     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by MisterBob View Post
    I don't see what the big deal with reminder text is. Common keywords like Trample only get reminder text if they haven't showed up in a few blocks (which pretty much never happens with trample).

It also helps new players actually join the game. It has no effect on the rules, I don't see what the big deal is.

Also, 6th edition fixed a lot of rules issues and made the game much more logical and intuitive.

Mythic Rares are a bit silly, but you do have to remember this is a company, not a charity. Thanks to Mythic Rares they ARE making more money.
    I was referring to most changes made after 6th edition, not the 6th changes themselves. although I don't know enough about the exact timeline to be specific. it just seems like the more they change the less I like the game. but this is why I play Legacy, I can generally get away with only using older cards with a few exceptions that are generally worthwhile. I hate the new borders but I will make exceptions for randomly useful cards like Ponder. I'm not so stupid that I'll play a deck that's going to win less just because I don't like the direction the game has gone.

I hate reminder text because it clogs up a card and looks stupid. it's a personal thing. I can see why it's useful, I just don't think it's useful enough to justify all that ugly text.

mythic rares are gay. and I'm gay, so if I'm calling something gay, it's like... super-gay on some level I don't even want to think about. but you are right, they were a good decision business-wise.

also, fuck the new players. I realize that viewpoint is incompatible with the continued success of MtG as a money-making venture (and, by extension, its continued existence). I don't care. they are the engine that has driven every stupid change Wizards has made, and what sucks most is that they're generally making the right decision when they change things. I just don't like it myself.

LOL apparently I'm really bitter about MtG. guess I was harboring some unexpressed anger. grr, rawr.

Champion of the House of Weave
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    The game kinda stop being fun when competitive level play relies almost solely on retardedly expensive decks.
    That and having to play tier 1 decks to even have a chance of winning. I ended up quitting around Fifth Dawn just because you had to play Ravager Affinity or Goblin Bidding just to have a chance due to their speed. Before that you had a better chance of doing decent with various decks (<3'd G/W & G/W/x back then with Worship main deck).

I'm thinking about maybe trying EDH (Elder Dragon Highlander) though since it looks fun and I still have most of my cards.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

What really cracks me up is that Standard ends up being a lot more expensive than Legacy even though a lot of the cards that you think of as Legacy staples - Force of Will, the original dual lands, etc. - are absurdly expensive. But I hear Faeries runs upwards of $500, and 5CC's reflecting pools alone will cost you more than $100 unless you're lucky. And not only is it quite often a more expensive format, the fucking cards rotate constantly! Although it is probably the easiest format to break into with a rogue deck, so I guess that's a small upside.

Black Belt
    BG Level

Tarmogoyf was fucking retarded to at like 30-40 a piece or more. If a tier 1 card pops up on a big set, you can bet your ass it'd cost you a left nut and your firstborn to get.

Legacy is expensive just on the ground of power 9 usage, though one of my favorite archetype in legacy is manaless ichorid, which uses no power card.

Shit was so nuts.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

You're thinking of Vintage, Legacy is the "Vintage-Lite" format where cards like the power nine are banned. As well as lot of the cards on Vintage's restricted list, like Tolarian Academy. The upside being that anything not banned in Legacy is good for 4-of since it has no restricted list (hello, Brainstorm and Merchant Scroll). The downside being that some cards which would be totally fair as a 1-of are banned since there is no restricted list (hello, Frantic Search).

Legacy's still expensive though, the manabase alone can be hundreds of dollars if you're playing more than one color. And even monocolored decks love those pricey fetchlands. And if you're playing blue without four $25 Force of Wills, forget about winning.

On the other hand it's not too horrible as hobbies go. Two $50 videogames a month quickly adds up, and one really nice MtG deck in any format can last you a while. Longer in Vintage and Legacy, since there's no rotation (although new cards can sometimes fuck your deck up).

Can you tell I like talking about MtG on here? >_> I haven't found a mtg forum yet that isn't filled with either idiots, douchebags or arrogant know-it-alls. I try to post on mtgthesource and gleemax but the community just isn't as good as BG's.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

If anyone wants to play on Apprentice send me a PM. I haven't played in like 6 years and I'm out of the loop, but it's fun and I have all of the patches for the new sets.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Price View Post
    A lot of my friends are playing Blue/White decks that are nothing but counterspells and enchantments. The only creature cards they have Platinum Angels (fucking pieces of shit) and an Enchantment that produces 4/4 angels every time you play an enchantment. They just Pacisfism / Arrest / Crystalization every creature you throw out until turn 7 where he can play a stupid Plat. Angel and just chill til he wins.
    If you need type2 help lemme know. As for you friends playing the enchantment deck, you should consider running http://cardkingdom.com/card_viewer.p...997&pid=124581 , they will most likely scoop when they decide to tap out to play plat angel and you're like, ok, end of turn fracturing gust. You'd gain so much life lol. But yeah, I play T2 frequently with people who play teir1-esque decks.

My AIM is screamifyouwill if anyone wants to play apprentice.

Black Belt
    BG Level

hmmm, while the main site of mws is dead, seem like you can still get the card database and shit up to alara reborn still.

Unless they took out the server part of the program too or something, it seem to be better than apprentice, but it's been a while since I used either.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Thanks for making this thread Tricen lol

Anyway, I just got back into the game from a long time ago and have been tweaking my latest type 2 deck for about a month or two now. Cant wait to take it to an FNM and test it out, although i'm kinda wondering if I should just wait for the October rotation so I dont have to worry about getting faeriefucked anymore, seeing as that is all that seems to be within my current meta. That, and swans. Fuck swans.

Tyven's Xbax Fren
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Korgath

Demios - my mtgo isn't acting right (just installed it the other day) or I'd consider buying your collection.

I probably will just end up having a buddy build a cheap deck for legacy for me, and I'll add in money cards as I see fit.

That SpellCast Guy
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Diamicles View Post
    Demios - my mtgo isn't acting right (just installed it the other day) or I'd consider buying your collection.

I probably will just end up having a buddy build a cheap deck for legacy for me, and I'll add in money cards as I see fit.
    MTGO has always been a piece of shit, and the new version looks even worse (I've only logged into it once to make sure my collection was still around, I quit long before it came out). I don't know how they can take in so much money (charging physical card prices with absolutely no production costs) and not be able to hire competent programmers.

Seriously, I probably could have programmed a better client application single-handedly if they had given me as much time as they've spent on the new version.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Holy shit I didn't even know that Fracturing Gust card existed. I literally squeeled for joy when I read that. I'm gonna enjoy playing that.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Price View Post
    Holy shit I didn't even know that Fracturing Gust card existed. I literally squeeled for joy when I read that. I'm gonna enjoy playing that.
    I'm pretty sure that makes affinity decks sad.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Assuming you can live passed turn 5 against affinity lol. Also, fearies is dead. Valcanic Fallout just shits on them. Right now, 5 colour control, BW tokens, and probably cascade swans is going to be popular. Might see a few Reveillark decks around, but nothing special. And remember that FNM is going to be competitive, so people are playing to win. Don't expect them to help you through anything or whatever. Be ready to get stomped on lol, it may be a little shitty at first, but that's competition for ya.

Also, READ cards. When someone plays something you dunno what it is, be like "lemme see that" and read it. A lot of time when I've played someone I'm like "Chameleon Colossus" and they are like "k". THen I pass turn and they are like "End of turn terror". And I'm like, "..Pro-black". They'd be like "Wtf you didn't say that". I don't need to tell you what a card does, it's your responsibility for knowing what cards (in play) do.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

If I played Fracturing Gusts and he had a card that said "All enchantments you control have shroud" would they still be destroyed? I'm not targeting them specifically, so I'm not sure.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Yes. Shroud does not protect from anything that does not actually target a permanent, so any effects like Fracturing Gust, Wrath of God, etc. will still work.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Alright good to know. I'm gonna fuck his enchantment decks day up. Platinum Angel can suck on my elves.

Black Belt
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Narse View Post
    I'm pretty sure that makes affinity decks sad.
    If an affinity deck lets you live to get 5 mana, they're probably doing it wrong anyway.

Not sure about the current meta, but last I read, 5 color zoo is pretty strong in t2 as well no?

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I'm rolling with llanowar elves, devoted druids and other mana producing cards. It'd be pretty tough to knock out my deck before I got 5 mana lol

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Yes, I imagine that if you have to wait until turn 5 to play that card you may have problems, being that it is green (though not exclusively green; that is the first time I've seen a card like that, but yeah, quit 8 years ago).