Page 8 of 317 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast

Thread: Magic: The Gathering     submit to reddit submit to twitter

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I could probably name any white-border card by the art. A majority of my collecting was 4th/Revised/Antiquities/Legends/etc. and it wound down around TheDark/FallenEmpires/Homelands/IceAge/Alliances/Chronicles/etc. Just picked it back up around Morningtide/TenthEdition/Shadowmoor/etc. when I rediscovered my collection and the girlfriend made me teach her how to play.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

That originally why i busted out my cards again, to teach my girlfriend how to play. I was looking for a 0 cost, portable, 2+ player activity/game and realized that i had tons of cards in boxes just sitting in the closet.

The indexing is still going. The spreadsheets are massive.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

So yeah. Yesterday was our FNM release sealed tourney for M10. Only saw 1 Pithing Needle and 3 Platinum Angels. Oy. Makes for very long rounds

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

lmao nice. I did the release today. The store has TNM (Thursday night magic) it's sanctioned most of the time, but you don't get FNM cards ;/. But, the format they had this thursday was EDH, and the only prize was free entry into the release they had saturday (today). I won, so yay for me. Was at like 1130am though -_-.... I ended up being 3rd or 4th. Not bad for free.

Black Belt
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kkel View Post
    That originally why i busted out my cards again, to teach my girlfriend how to play. I was looking for a 0 cost, portable, 2+ player activity/game and realized that i had tons of cards in boxes just sitting in the closet.

The indexing is still going. The spreadsheets are massive.
    So, when thinking of 0 cost, portable 2 player activity with your girlfriend, magic comes up before sex?

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

comic book store here had all day M10 drafts from 11am until 7am, which is when the sanctioned one started. 72 people showed up for it.

Ended up taking 2nd place... lost to #1 in state and #12 in the US ranked guy. he kicked my ass lol.

But I still won like 16 booster packs and a promo ant queen, built a killer wolf deck too.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Yeah I got 4 promo ant queens ._.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Anyone find a program to database all your cards? Want to do that so I can sell them all ;o

Tyven's Xbax Fren
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Korgath

I just played the first two games ever in the EDH (Elder Dragon Highlander) format...It was an absolute blast! I had never heard of it till I picked the game back up a few weeks ago. Best multiplayer format ever, IMO. Read up on the format here if you like multiplayer.t

I think I need a new general though, I didn't even try to play Ertai the Corrupted one time in either of the games. Probably will switch to Chromium, or tweak the deck a little bit.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

EDH is pretty awesome. I've had the same general for a long time now, Doran the Siege Tower.

The Righteous One
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Briefly reading over the rules (of EDH), what's the point to the general? Just having a big creature that you can possibly cast at anytime?

I like the concept, and would like to try it with my friends, but not sure if they have the same pool of legendary creatures that I have.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Well, if you take 21 or more combat damage from a general, you lose. Not 21 combat dmg in 1 swing, but like over the course of the game, you keep track of how much damage this general did.

The Righteous One
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

So it's a different pool that doesn't count against your 40 life total? (when a General gets damage through).

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Oh it still counts towards your life total, it's just another thing that generals do. Also, you can only use the colors in the generals casting cost.

The Righteous One
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

And General damage is cumulative among all Generals on the board (meaning you don't keep a separate General damage pool from each player's general that could be hitting you in a multiplayer game)?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It's not 21 general combat damage, it's 21 combat damage from a single general. Like if I steal your general that's been in play, and hit you with it for 21 or more damage, you'd lose. Usually how we take life totals is like:

Me......|.....You
    34 (6)........40
    30 (10).......33 (7)
    etc............etc

Where the numbers in the ()'s is the amount of general damage so far. As for multiple generals, it's better to do like 25 (8)(7) where the 8 is one general and the 7 is another.

The Righteous One
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Cool thanks.

Sorry for all of the questions, it's just neat to find a way to spice up an old game without necessarily having to buy a bunch of new cards.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Yeah, it makes jank rares playable :3

Tyven's Xbax Fren
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Korgath

it makes pretty much all cards playable, and effective if you can build enough synergy with the other cards in your deck.

The thing I love the most about mtg is looking at a card, thinking "hey, if I use this with X card, I can do fun/annoying/broken/stupid things". EDH is the perfect format for that.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

For someone who hasn't played magic in over 10 years and barely remembers anything about it, but wants to give it a try again, where would be the best place to learn how to play again? I watched a few videos and recall most of the basics... but feel like I might be missing something important.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 317 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast