+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    2600klub

Loves tits more than you

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Uh..Weird computer problem?

So I have no one who can answer this, and I've tried almost everything I can think of.

My computer makes noises.
    Randomly.

Sounds ranging from a car screeching tires, to 3 sec audio clips of music I don't have to even the FFXI De-leveling noise.

I have no idea what triggers it, it happens sometimes when someone sends me a message on a IM client or not. I first though it was Codec packs, I uninstalled them, still gave the issue.

Did Spyware sweeps, virus scans, rootkit scans, All nothing.

So I though it was just sometime I'd have to deal with on my desktop.

Until...My laptop started doing it as well, and in sync with my desktop, as soon as the sound effect goes off, my laptop does the same sound effect within the same second, mind you I had vista installed on both machines, I then Upgraded to Win7 beta on my laptop, and it did the same shit.

So i still try to ignore the sounds, until I brought another desktop and now it does the same thing....I only installed one major program i use for every computer, Tune up Utitilies 08/09, I've giving the program to many other people and they haven't ever heard of my issues.

So what the fuck is up?

Tottenham 'til I die
    BG Level

Somebody is fucking with you.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Do you share media between your laptop and desktop i.e. burned CDs, network drives, that My Briefcase thing? Do you have an open wireless network?

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

errrrrrrrrr

maybe interference from another device in the area? Does your cell phone by any chance ring the same time this stuff happens? My last cell phone would fuck with my laptop speakers pretty bad when it would ring.

2600klub

Loves tits more than you

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Olo401 View Post
    Do you share media between your laptop and desktop i.e. burned CDs, network drives, that My Briefcase thing? Do you have an open wireless network?
    I though that was the case too but my laptop has been leeching off my neighbor's wireless for months now.

and it's not my cellphone since i know that kinda of interferance noise, but this is sound effects not just noise

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

As dumb as this may sound - Do you have AIM installed on the computer and laptop? And if so, do you keep it on? You mentioned an IM client but not which one, and if it is AIM, that could explain the weird sound effects you hear.

2600klub

Loves tits more than you

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Yea I have AIM on all, you think AIM is fucking with me?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I've seen machines do wacky audio things when they were rootkitted, I don't know what you ran but I'd suggest ComboFix in addition.

Windows has, under Sounds and Audio Devices properties, program event sounds. I'd check there as well.

Are the computers accessible by other people? Do you use a USB flash device between them?

If you reformat a machine and never touch it, then how are you installing, a base image? Or fresh?

I really want to say it's Windows going stupid and grabbing WAV files and associating them with program events. You say it plays the FFXI delevel sound, that kind of eliminates a lot of things (random viruses). Do you hear the FFXI delevel sound on a machine without FFXI? Lord knows MS ships Windows with some weird music-like files that may be the music you hear.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Well, on AIM people can set little sound bytes to play whenever they log on/log off. It can range from music clips, to animal sounds, to clips from video games. They can also set "themes" for when they send you a message or even do like smiley faces in the actual chat. It's really annoying. Next time you hear one of the sounds, bring AIM to the front and see if someone either logged on or off. I was plagued by "meows" on my laptop for about 2 days before i noticed it was because of a friend on AIM.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

yea, you need to disable aim expressions (i think this is what its called in preferences)

2600klub

Loves tits more than you

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Kriz View Post
    I've seen machines do wacky audio things when they were rootkitted, I don't know what you ran but I'd suggest ComboFix in addition.

Windows has, under Sounds and Audio Devices properties, program event sounds. I'd check there as well.

Are the computers accessible by other people? Do you use a USB flash device between them?

If you reformat a machine and never touch it, then how are you installing, a base image? Or fresh?

I really want to say it's Windows going stupid and grabbing WAV files and associating them with program events. You say it plays the FFXI delevel sound, that kind of eliminates a lot of things (random viruses). Do you hear the FFXI delevel sound on a machine without FFXI? Lord knows MS ships Windows with some weird music-like files that may be the music you hear.
    Thats what I though it was as well, windows associating shit with random sounds, but yea all machines have FFXI on em

Quote Originally Posted by Rumari View Post
    Well, on AIM people can set little sound bytes to play whenever they log on/log off. It can range from music clips, to animal sounds, to clips from video games. They can also set "themes" for when they send you a message or even do like smiley faces in the actual chat. It's really annoying. Next time you hear one of the sounds, bring AIM to the front and see if someone either logged on or off. I was plagued by "meows" on my laptop for about 2 days before i noticed it was because of a friend on AIM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafai View Post
    yea, you need to disable aim expressions (i think this is what its called in preferences)
    I think I have that disabled but i'll check again, Aim has such annoying features..

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

you have a rootkit, its running a browser hidden in the background. I tried removing it once, didnt work at all, I said fuck it and reformatted.

I did remove it technically, but the damage done to my PC wasnt worth it so I went ahead with the format

if your aim expressions are disabled, youve been kitted

2600klub

Loves tits more than you

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

What kind of damage you talking?

And how could it get on a computer i've never touched before?

You plugged it in to your LAN right?

The Wang
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Furt Wangler
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I personally would think its aim. You have to also turn off other shit in sounds besides expressions i think to turn off ppls sounds (under "sounds" in the settings theres stuff for when ppl sign in) I've had my computer do everything from meow, to scream like a lady, to sing to me and it took me a few seconds sometimes to realize it was aim doing it.
    It's a pretty slick rootkit to infect all computers so soon and do it at the same time, where as someone signing on aim seems a much better answer.

2600klub

Loves tits more than you

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Don't think it's AIM, i've disable pretty much almost all the sounds for it, I think it might eb a rootkit, but not sure.

On another note, Vista just deleted my DVDrom drivers off my laptop AGAIN for no reason

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Turn off AIM for a while and see if the noises stop. If they do, it's AIM and you don't have it set up right. If you still hear the noises, delve further into the rootkit idea.

"FFXI De-leveling noise" <-- This makes me think it is AIM. One of your FFXI buddies on AIM is using this when they sign on or off. If it was something that was playing random clips of audio, it wouldn't be the same noises that you are hearing repeatedly. You would be hearing constantly random sound clips.

You mentioned that this happens in sync with your laptop.

If both are signed on to AIM at the same time, they will both make the same sound at the same time.

2600klub

Loves tits more than you

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by xopher View Post
    Turn off AIM for a while and see if the noises stop. If they do, it's AIM and you don't have it set up right. If you still hear the noises, delve further into the rootkit idea.

"FFXI De-leveling noise" <-- This makes me think it is AIM. One of your FFXI buddies on AIM is using this when they sign on or off. If it was something that was playing random clips of audio, it wouldn't be the same noises that you are hearing repeatedly. You would be hearing constantly random sound clips.

You mentioned that this happens in sync with your laptop.

If both are signed on to AIM at the same time, they will both make the same sound at the same time.
    Hmmm, you're right... I'll try that