+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Recomended Drama Animes?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Official Nannyman of Nikkei's Harem
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by rosemarie View Post
    Kanon is good. Just got done watching that.
    Kanon is entertaining, I'll say that much for it, but it's REALLY overdramatic at times. It's pretty hit or miss. It could draw you in or drive you away; I personally enjoy the series for what it is, an over-the-top tearjerker. The second arc still gets me every time, and there's that brutal scene
    Spoiler: show
    where Momma gets hit by the car.
    Not the best anime around, certainly, but worth a watch.

Good dramas are kind of hard to find in anime; they tend towards romcom or thrillers, though considering you liked Death Note perhaps Serial Experiment Lain would be enjoyable for you.

I have to agree with the above recommendation for Honey and Clover; it's the best anime I've ever seen; I'd even call it medium-transcending. It uses the animation element to present a certain visual experience, but it does not (usually) fall into the normal pittraps of anime. Also, it uses the same character design as Eden of the East; I keep expecting to see a cameo. If you're enjoying Eden, you should definitely check out H&C.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Yeah I watched Blood+ as well till about half way through, didn't really feel like finishing it tbh.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Akagi. It's not for everyone, though.

Also while not a series, Jin-Roh is great. (Disclaimer: It will also fuck you up beyond belief unless you are the devil or something.)

Black Belt
    BG Level

akagi is not drama...

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Grave of the Fireflies ( want drama+tears then watch this)
    Saikano
    Rurouni Kenshin OVA 1 ( only 4 ep long but good drama and solid ending)

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Ghostlands

Death Note

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Aro View Post
    I was wondering if anyone could recommend me some good drama anime similar to Death note or Eden of the East.

As always, if there is a better place for me to find this; point me in the direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kongolo View Post
    Death Note
    I'll second Starby's Mai-hime, though it's more of a battle anime with an all girl cast (there are 2-3 guys total) with lots of drama in between the fights. And if you like that, there's Mai-otome which is a good sequel (parallel universe, different system, same characters/cast) which has had an OVA (Mai Otome Zwei) and prequel (Mai Otome s.ifr) which were both good.

And I've heard rumors of another Mai~esque anime coming in the near future, but we'll see.

Predictably Unpredictable
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Third the ef - tale of melodies/memories

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Akagi is totally drama. How is it not?

assburgers
    BG Level

Eureka 7 is not "good if you don't mind emo kids being emo", it is good in the same way that fire is hot.

I love that fucking show... you big meaniehead.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

If you like Eden of the East, Darker than Black is along those lines of animation style and story telling. There's more action than humor though and was only 1 season, 25 episodes.

Also Ghost in the Shell S.A.C.

Black Belt
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by ClarkSammich View Post
    Akagi is totally drama. How is it not?
    Drama would require character development, interaction, and relationship

Akagi revolved around everyone around him being amazed with every single thing he does, the narrator fellating him on just how awesome he is at mahjongg, while reminding us the conversion rate of money of the past to the present, and RON RON ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOON

Or some shit like that, fuck Akagi.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

HEY MAN, NO, FUCK YOU.
    Actually, I can see what you mean. Personally, I enjoyed it. Maybe Kaiji(?) would be a better bet then? I haven't seen that, but it's by the same guy.
    Maybe more suspense and less technical diagrams.

Black Belt
    BG Level

Monster, Beck.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Kongolo View Post
    Death Note
    First season of Death Note was perfect. I couldn't stop watching it.... but after
    Spoiler: show
    L dies
    it just didn't have the same time of punch anymore and I started to lose interested until I was glad it was over. But the Death Note live action movies are very good!

Quote Originally Posted by Max™ View Post
    Eureka 7 is not "good if you don't mind emo kids being emo", it is good in the same way that fire is hot.
    I love that fucking show... you big meaniehead.
    I did also! But the kid kinda bothered me at times cause he kept creating more and more internal strife for himself

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Personally I liked N more than L, playing with actions figures > diabetic.

But, my favorite character has to be Kira.

Also thanks for all the suggestions, I'm currently watching Honey and Clover and enjoying it.

Black Belt
    BG Level

Oh, also shigofumi

I'd recommend Honey and Clover as the best "Drama" type anime.

I also just recently finished watching My Otome (and strangely watched Zwei before that). While there is elements of drama between the battles, there is a lot of girls transforming, mecha-like battles, and childish humor. There is a lot of strong drama content in between the fights as mentioned before.

I'm sort of torn to consider this as geared towards a teenager or adults due to some of the themes. Animenewsnetwork.com considered it as "Teenagers (May contain bloody violence, bad language, nudity)" There are strong elements of lesbianism, bloody deaths, and underage sexual releations....

Black Belt
    BG Level

Either my definition of drama are skewed, or you fuckers are now just throwing random animu and labelling it as drama.

The more tits and panties pops up in an episode, the less likely the said series is a drama.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    Either my definition of drama are skewed, or you fuckers are now just throwing random animu and labelling it as drama.

The more tits and panties pops up in an episode, the less likely the said series is a drama.
    It's an all-girls "military" school of sorts. You lose your ability to serve if you're not a virgin, so to cope some of the girls have some lesbian tendencies. While yes, this translates into fanservice, in this circumstance it actually "fits"

Mai-Otome is a bit more fighting than Mai-Hime, but if you enjoyed Mai-hime there's a very good chance you'll enjoy Mai-Otome just because it has a lot of the same as Mai-Hime despite being a very different world.