Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fun/Productive things that you can do alone on a fresh account

Hey guys,

I've been back into FFXI for about 3 months now, and have gotten DRG to 75 and THF is getting there. I have been really excited about being back again and spend a lot of my free-time at work surfing wiki and other sites for things I can do on my new character in my spare time that would make me gil or be productive in some way.

For example, I have already maxed (or near-maxed) my fame, and done most of the Teleport quests, Drain, Aspir, Warp, etc. and sold the scrolls for some good quick money. I also did the Norg ninjitsu quests and ate the scrolls.

I have also done a decent amount in (S), gotten angelstone/deathstone (sold them because I don't need my bag that big yet), campaign medals (working on these, but 5 day timer, etc.), few gobbiebags, and started crafting a bit with some of the gil I have been able to hoard from quests and BCNMs. I am also considering leveling an NPC.

Can you guys point me to some quests or the like that will be productive to my character, in gil or some other fashion? Looking for more things to do when I don't feel like leveling.

Thanks

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by takethistoyourgrave View Post
    For example, I have already maxed (or near-maxed) my fame, and done most of the Teleport quests, Drain, Aspir, Warp, etc. and sold the scrolls for some good quick money. I also did the Norg ninjitsu quests and ate the scrolls.

I have also done a decent amount in (S), gotten angelstone/deathstone (sold them because I don't need my bag that big yet), campaign medals (working on these, but 5 day timer, etc.), few gobbiebags, and started crafting a bit with some of the gil I have been able to hoard from quests and BCNMs. I am also considering leveling an NPC.
    You're digging yourself into a very deep hole.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by takethistoyourgrave View Post
    Can you guys point me to some quests or the like that will be productive to my character, in gil or some other fashion? Looking for more things to do when I don't feel like leveling.
    Collect all the maps in the game. Some are coffer keys, some are quests, almost all can be done solo (Riverne and the Promyvions are the ones that come to mind that can't be done solo).

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Fishing and Lu Shang Rod. It's the easiest thing that can be done solo and the biggest time-sink this game has. Enjoy.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mist Monster
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Chocobo Hot and Cold is fun

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    Collect all the maps in the game. Some are coffer keys, some are quests, almost all can be done solo (Riverne and the Promyvions are the ones that come to mind that can't be done solo).
    I did Dem, Mea, and Holla "solo" and by that I mean I abused the Fellowship NPC via the Tactics Pearl mini-quest.

Used NPC to kill the Gorger/Craver/other to get chips (low drop rate, took a few runs), then I also used NPC on another separate day to fight my way to the top floor. Trading the chip for the map before anything hits you isn't as difficult as you would imagine. But you will almost certainly die after obtaining the map. No biggie.

Edit: To answer the OP, I strongly recommend getting a fellowship NPC and start leveling him/her up. This will eventually improve your ability to solo certain quests and NMs. Level 40 NPC in healing mode will cast Haste on you. That alone is enough reason to bring him/her out before a big fight.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimagi View Post
    You're digging yourself into a very deep hole.
    I disagree. It's good for a new player to sell scrolls for gil to progress through the game, then later IF you want to level the job and need to buy the scrolls, you are in a much better position to farm the gil. (Alternative: quest the scrolls on a mule).

Selling scrolls is like taking out a loan that you might need to repay later, but maybe not. If you do need to buy the scroll back, the price should be similar.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

That's assuming he can and will make gil somehow. And, in my opinion, everyone should have Ninja 37. Everyone.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I think 'and ate them' means he used the NIN scrolls, not sold them.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Yes, I also believe he sold the WHM and BLM scrolls but he used the NIN scrolls. Sounds good for a new player (except a mage) IMO.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Even if he did use the Ninjutsu, Warp, as well as teleports, are something I would recommend to get for all players as well. And even more so the gobbie bag quested items. Everyone's going to need to do that eventually, why sell it now just to buy it back later? Find a more dependable source of gil now, so you don't get addicted to the quick fixes that make it harder for yourself in the long run.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gergall View Post
    I disagree. It's good for a new player to sell scrolls for gil to progress through the game, then later IF you want to level the job and need to buy the scrolls, you are in a much better position to farm the gil. (Alternative: quest the scrolls on a mule).

Selling scrolls is like taking out a loan that you might need to repay later, but maybe not. If you do need to buy the scroll back, the price should be similar.
    It felt to many people back in the day like they had screwed themselves by selling their scrolls and then having to rebuy them when inflation in the economy went through the roof, though given that many RMTs and regular players were creating characters specifically to do the scroll quests I doubt the prices even kept up with the general rate of inflation. In short, even if you were one of the many who bought a scroll for ten times what you sold it for, you probably didn't come out behind unless you squandered the gil on consumables that didn't advance your character (Or you bought a Thief's Knife).

That SpellCast Guy
    BG Level

While we're on the topic, what the hell is up with the price of Sleepga II now? One sold for 700k on Sylph two days ago. It's not hard to flag the quest, and the quest itself is easy. It's not a spell that everyone in the game needs (like Utsusemi), only BLMs, and every single person can quest it. You'd think it would be low, not worth more than a Scorpion Harness+1.

Edit: Okay, just realized that the "trade Tarut cards" quest is a prereq, that one's definitely a pain in the ass. But still, 700k.

For clarification, my NIN is 40 and I used all those scrolls. I also leveled my BLM to 18 and used Warp. I played from 2002-2006 and had an account with 8 75s so I know the game and knew well enough which scrolls to sell and which scrolls to use, once I decided which route I wanted to take my new character.

I'll definitely get working on an NPC, can farm seals while leveling it for $$.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Here are a couple other "productive" things you can do solo.

-Skill up weapons and unlock the quested WSes (or at least get up to the fight)
    -Collect Zeni and/or Jettons (but this will never amount to anything unless you eventually join a group that fights the NMs)

You can of course do skillups and zeni all while leveling your NPC.

-MMM: Moblin Maze Mongers is very tricky to get started on solo, but once you get rolling you can collect a decent number of marbles even on solo runs.
    It's easier if you first get started with a friend, but it is technically possible to unlock all runes and vouchers entirely solo.
    To go solo, you would have to start out on BST (even lvl 1 BST is fine) and pray that the randomly selected mob families are charmable. Once you can afford Rune 001 (Aquan), you can be 100% certain all mobs will be charmable.
    Once you can afford Voucher 06 and some other "helper" runes, you can solo Voucher 06 for more marbles than you can solo on Voucher 01.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I should note that I get a bit of personal satisfaction from working my way solo through something that was clearly intended for a group (heck, read my earlier post about soloing the promy maps). But while the idea of soloing one's way through MMM is exciting to me, I think most players would find it tedious to do solo.

Also, for the record, I do MMM with my friends when they are around, and only go solo when no one is available.

I'm a weird guy!

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I farmed most crafts to at least ~22, most mats. are harvestable, with elementals in the area for crystals, and playing with the area also gets you in touch with the mobs there that are worthwhile for drops, most zones are profitable to some extent if played properly, and low level crafting is still somewhat profitable as well. Sartabarta, Zeruhn Mines, Yugrotto, Palmines and Gusgen farmed right can get bone, gold, smith, cloth up, iono, i enjoyed that sort of thing. Also, all mules to ???. Pop goblin archeologist.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Gergall View Post
    I did Dem, Mea, and Holla "solo" and by that I mean I abused the Fellowship NPC via the Tactics Pearl mini-quest.

Used NPC to kill the Gorger/Craver/other to get chips (low drop rate, took a few runs), then I also used NPC on another separate day to fight my way to the top floor. Trading the chip for the map before anything hits you isn't as difficult as you would imagine. But you will almost certainly die after obtaining the map. No biggie.

Edit: To answer the OP, I strongly recommend getting a fellowship NPC and start leveling him/her up. This will eventually improve your ability to solo certain quests and NMs. Level 40 NPC in healing mode will cast Haste on you. That alone is enough reason to bring him/her out before a big fight.
    There anything specific you did with your NPC? I'm assuming you kept it as Stalwart Shield, and just came as a healer class to keep them alive

Tempted to solo those myself, as the only 4 maps in the game I'm missing are the 4 Promys.

Bringer of Bacon
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Its not really something you can do solo, but working through all 3 nations storylines to rank10 gives you decent gil, and was pretty fun to do.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    And have fun whit Crawler's nest one lol