+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

American Cartoons: Pre-2000 and Post-2000

The other day, I started channel surfing and came across Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network. To my dismay, it still seemed like they kept showing these redundant Cartoon shows that just have no point. Everyone remembers Cartoons in the 80's and 90's. It is safe to agree that many of the cartoons during those era's were the creme of the crop when it came to childrens entertainment (hell, even adults liked a lot of those cartoons.)

My question is, what exactly has happened to the American cartoon industry? What happened to all of these great shows we use to have? I am not necessarily saying all Post-2000 cartoons are bad because of course that is not true. Shows like Teen Titans, Spongebob (Started in 1999 but lets just push it over to 2000), Justice League (Unlimited), etc were all good in their own right but the frequency of shows like these are few and far between.

I think many of us can name dozens upon dozens of fantastic cartoon shows from the 80's and 90's. Try doing the same in this era of cartoons. It may just be my view on cartoons nowadays but I seriously miss the amazing cartoon shows from the 90s. In addition to the great writing, subtle adult jokes, and more.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

I honestly have no idea why or any way to intellectualize it but I really liked the Teen Titans.

Maybe it was the incredibly catchy theme song.

Teen Titans was amazing.

Cartoon network has become ABSOLUTE shit.
    I miss Toonami.
    I miss Dexter's laboratory.
    etc etc.

;__;

Sea Torques
    BG Level

You're now older and realize how childish cartoons are.

You like older childish cartoons because you have an emotional and nostalgic connection to them.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Clone High is awesome.
    Also this belongs in Bentertainment Geekly.

The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest was the most spectacular show of its time. And it had the most kick ass opening too.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Ensam View Post

You like older childish cartoons because you have an emotional and nostalgic connection to them.
    Bullshit. I was born in the 90s and I grew up with 90s cartoons and then a rehash of 80s cartoons and 80s cartoons were awesome as well. I know of plenty of children who dont even watch cartoons anymore because they don't like them. Cue in Disney channel with all of its "Hannah Montana" and "Sunny with a Chance" type shows.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

cartoons have gone to shit... Total Drama Island... it's reality TV but it's a cartoon! caught my brother watching that shit, all into it, slapped him. put on some rocko's modern life for him, problem solved.

Ridill
    BG Level

I started to think it was something like that.

And then I remembered Animaniacs.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

This is not true. At least for me every once in a while a cartoon comes on that I do enjoy and start to watch at least a little bit. I kinda got into watching Ben10 for a while. I liked the animation style.

Also I am 26 so is that considered "older" than 24? I was 24 when I started watching Teen Titans.

I see where this statement is coming from but it is a false over generalization that does not apply to everyone. Some people just really enjoy cartoons and animation in general.

Also Samurai Jack!

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

I still like Spongebob, its like one of the only cartoons I can sit through with my daughter.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

wheel of morality turn turn turn. tell us the lesson that we should learn...

fuck i miss that show

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

I miss Thundercats so bad. The best animated series ever!

Courage the Cowardly Dog > All.

> ALL

actually, up until the mid/late 1990s most american cartoons were animated domestically. Beginning around the time of the Batman animated series, more and more animation was outsourced to South Korea. Nowadays nearly every "american" cartoon is animated in south korea.

I suppose around that time computers started to become powerful and cheap enough that most animation studios could afford to use them to save money that way, as well.

I once had a link talking about how the recent history of american animation but I can't find it.

Teen Titans was awesome, wish they'd make another season. Cartoons these days are utter crap. Batman Beyond I liked. The new batman show that's on cartoon network in the mornings? Absolute shit... ugliest animation i've seen in a long time. I miss Angry beavers

Quote Originally Posted by zoobernut View Post
    Samurai Jack!
    this too

Then everyone wonders why most people just prefer anime. America is just not keeping up, even with cartoon shows.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Definitely not keeping up in the Gundam race...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast