+ Reply to Thread
    Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Magic: The Gathering on XBL

So I was one of those geeks/nerds who played magic back in middle school and spent way too much money on it. Was good times though so was excited when I heard this was coming out on XBL. Downloaded it last night for 800 points I think it was.

I'm pretty impressed with the actual game play with how/when cards are allowed to be played and it gives you a short chance after each card is played in case you are able to counter/enchant/whatever. Overall it's a smoother experience than what I expected.

The only problem I have with it thus far is the inability to really customize your deck. You start out with a basic green deck and unlock other decks as you beat various computer players. There looks like 8 decks you can unlock, 1 of each color then a couple combination decks I imagine. Also each deck has a set of 17 or so cards you can unlock as you do more things in game. I'm not sure if there's an actual place where you can see all available cards in the game, but it doesn't seem like it. I just hope as time goes on they'll add more DLC card packs or something since one of the more fun aspects of the real card game was collecting the rares and building your deck in different ways.

There's a single player campaign mode where you just battle one on one with various cpu players. There's also a puzzle mode where you join games already in progress and have to accomplish a set goal like "given these cards in this situation, defeat your opponent this turn". You can challenge other people via XBL and there's even co-op modes to fight the computer or possibly 2 vs 2 via XBL.

There's a bit of a learning curve I think when you first start playing and having previous knowledge of the game helps greatly. They do have a full fledged tutorial to teach you everything, but if you're coming into the game cold it can take you awhile to catch on I think. Once you understand what's going on though, it pretty cool.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I downloaded the free trial, probably don't have the space for the full game though, seems pretty well programed to play as MTG as you said.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

It's ok.

Quick correction, you start out with 2 decks, a green and a red.

There are a few major problems:

1 - When you unlock new "sideboard" cards for a deck, you can ONLY insert, not remove. Meaning you end up with a bloated deck, which is bad 99.9% of the time in magic (and this game is no exception, the game actually gets EASIER as you progress because the computers end up with terrible 85+ card decks).

2 - You cannot choose how to spend mana. In the multicolored decks, this is terrible. I love when I have an Incinerate in hand, and the game decides to use both of my red mana to pay for Sangrite Surge instead of just one.

3 - No penalty for quitting online. Most of the people I've played just drop right before they lose. Additionally, in an FFA game if someone gets knocked out and is the host, they will likely drop, which ends the game for everyone.

4 - Only 8 puzzles, and they are incredibly easy. (I do love all the posts online thinking #8 is bugged though. Learn to read your opponent's cards...)

Is it worth $10? Yeah, it's pretty fun. Is it a good Magic game? Not really.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Ooh M:tG puzzles! I remember buying copies of Duelist just to read the puzzle column. With the new rules changes though I'm sure a lot of them don't make sense anymore.

Ridill
    BG Level

I dont play magic, but from reading these last couple of posts, the developers must not have tried to hard to make the game. Ive played some yugioh games on the DS in the past, and they seem to handle deck customization and follow rules and complex directions extremely well.
    always wondered why I never saw a mtg game. guess because if it doesnt market well to the younger people its a rough sell.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    I dont play magic, but from reading these last couple of posts, the developers must not have tried to hard to make the game. Ive played some yugioh games on the DS in the past, and they seem to handle deck customization and follow rules and complex directions extremely well.
    always wondered why I never saw a mtg game. guess because if it doesnt market well to the younger people its a rough sell.
    There's no MTG game because Magic the Gathering: Online exists and is a huge cash cow.

Doesn't take it for granite
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I suppose paying 10 bucks for a foil Garruk "Special Edition" that comes free with purchase on XBL is a good deal. Especially with those $30 non-foil Garruks Price has in his area.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Has there been any electronic version of MtG that worked well?

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Purrrfect View Post
    MTGO.

As soon as this game came out for XBL i got it right away
    I used to play MTG 13years ago, started on 2nd edition
    stop playing on 2000
    so playing this brought back so many fond memories with this game...
    which made me love...but also hate because you cant costomize your deck
    your always stuck with the same huge started deck and only can swap the unlock cards you get....sucks...also good tutorial and help hints on all the abilities there is since I havent been up to date on all the updated rules
    Other than that the gameplay is pretty well made and very fun

Quote Originally Posted by Purrrfect View Post
    Magic Online : Digital Games : Magic: The Gathering
    I havent played it, just found out about it 2 days ago,
    but I think you need to pay rl money to buy new cards
    or can trade or sell to other players also who play (lolvirtualgoods)

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I think I saw that one back when they were working on a beta of it for testing. Didn't look bad, except the having to buy cards part. Not sure I'd go for that. I remember starting the game out way back when with real cards. Loved the game but didn't know anyone that played. Seems the same thing happened to me with every mmo game as well... ><

Quote Originally Posted by MisterBob View Post
    There's no MTG game because Magic the Gathering: Online exists and is a huge cash cow.
    It's a shame, because the storyline behind the cards is absolutely amazing.

Once I ever have the time and effort, I want to make a full fledged game based on the MTG universe. Time and effort.... /sigh

With milk. With love
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

ick, MTG...

Sorry, but I still have bad memories of Tolarian Academy decks back in their heyday. =(