View Poll Results: Are you going to prepare for this Pandemic that has been declared in the Earliest of Stages?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 45.00%
  • No

17 85.00%
  • Maybe

10 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Closed Thread

H1N1 Mutation in Brazil, also Confirmed by Japan

New flu strain 'has mutated, become more infectious' : National : DAILY YOMIURI ONLINE (The Daily Yomiuri)

New flu strain 'has mutated, become more infectious'

The Yomiuri Shimbun

The new strain of influenza appears to have mutated to become more infectious for humans, the online edition of science magazine Nature reported Monday, referencing research by a team including Prof. Yoshihiro Kawaoka of Tokyo University's Institute of Medical Science.

The surface of influenza virus particles are covered with thorn-shaped proteins called hemagglutinin (HA), which allows the virus to stick to human cells.

After analyzing multiple samples of the new flu virus, the team ascertained that in some cases the HA of the new H1N1 strain have mutated, allowing the strain to stick to human cells more easily.

According to Kawaoka, the same mutations have been found in HA of the H5N1 strain of influenza, the highly virulent bird flu, which kills about 60 percent of those it infects. Kawaoka said the virus is still in the process of mutating into a form even more infectious to humans.
    Quote Originally Posted by NHK
    Japan] Researchers: Mutation Aids Spread Of New Flu Virus

A group of Japanese researchers say they have observed a mutation of a type of protein in the H1N1 flu virus that helps it to multiply faster in humans. The team, led by Professor Yoshihiro Kawaoka of the University of Tokyo's Institute of Medical Science, analyzed genes from the flu virus that has spread in the United States and around the world. The team confirmed that the mutation of haemagglutinin makes it easier for the virus to bind to the surface of human cells. They say repeated transmission of the new flu virus between humans can change it into a type that efficiently replicates itself in the throat and lungs. Kawaoka warns that the mutation could increase the chance of the H1N1 virus causing an epidemic this winter, with the possibility of some serious cases. He said any changes in the new flu virus should be closely watched. The results of the research will be published in the online version of a British science journal, Nature.
    Source: NHK
    This is something I've been following this week, didn't want to post it until it was confirmed by another source, and now Japan has confirmed it. Also, South America has confirmed that the H1N1 Virus has displaced the spread of the seasonal flu, the majority of their flu cases have been H1N1 only BUT, the CDC say still says it's too soon to say it's displacing the seasonal flu there.

Here's the latest for total cases/deaths (with the unconfirmed ones too).

P.S. Here's a link to the discovery of the mutation in Brazil this was before Japan actually confirmed the mutation.

With a mutation this fast, I hope people take the time to get supplies and prep their homes, in case they are forcibly quarantined by the government (which means you wont be able to leave your house for a while).

I think we need a subforum for Vajra to post in.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Oh lawd. Another excuse for the major news networks to start spewing the word epidemic/pandemic around?

Yawn... get back to me when it truly becomes an issue.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Not again. For the love of God, not again.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

WOOHOO I got the first maybe!!

YOU ARE SEARED
    Dungeon Master of the House of Weave

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

EVERYBODY PANIC

Relic Shield
    BG Level

HIT THE DECK, FLU IS SERIOUS BUSINESS.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Norellicus View Post
    EVERYBODY PANIC

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I chose all 3 options so as to be prepared for any outcome.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Gurubashi

Quote Originally Posted by grantlogan View Post
    I chose all 3 options so as to be prepared for any outcome.
    Rofl I did the same thing, thinking the same thing D:

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I just came from Brasil this last sunday, the guy in front of me was coughing and stuff the entire flight, and now a few days later I have a really bad cold

too busy right now to read op, will read in like 30min, someone tell me if im gonna die or not

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Watch out Vajra pretty soon H1N1 will mutate to the point where it will be able to spread over the internet and BG will be the epicenter of digital swine flu. Run away while you can!

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by zoobernut View Post
    Watch out Vajra pretty soon H1N1 will mutate to the point where it will be able to spread over the internet and BG will be the epicenter of digital swine flu. Run away while you can!
    Do You Have Swine Flu?

It's too late.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Ravenholdt

I'm going to shameless +1 this while going WTF at the OP.

Did you not learn the first time?

Quote Originally Posted by Korietsu View Post
    I'm going to shameless +1 this while going WTF at the OP.

Did you not learn the first time?
    Learn what? Only reason I got banned before was because I was apparently abusing the "report a user" option on Vekta as a "grudging tool." Also because I was "acting like a Moderator" in Blackrose's eyes with a certain post I made addressing flamers in that thread. I don't see anything saying "Reporting on H1N1 Virus in BG General is a Bannable Offense."

This news is pretty alarming in my opinion anyways, and I actually gave some pretty good input at the bottom of my original post this time, which I forgot to mention in previous posts.

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    I just came from Brasil this last sunday, the guy in front of me was coughing and stuff the entire flight, and now a few days later I have a really bad cold

too busy right now to read op, will read in like 30min, someone tell me if im gonna die or not
    You will

Spoiler: show
    in five or six decades.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

no.